Who wins this little fantasy tournament?

LEWIS540

@Titanium
Reaction score
Prime v Prime at 160- 12 round fights

Ray Robinson v Marvin Hagler

Carlos Monzon v Roy Jones Jr

Winner A v Winner B

Robinson loses to Marvelous. Monzon loses to Roy. Roy decisions Marvelous.

This is one of those that can be argued about for days, and I'm not sure there's a right answer.

For any possible fight that comes out of this group of fighters, you can apply the same description -

FIGHTER A would use his NATURAL TALENT to exasperate FIGHTER B until FIGHTER B was able to turn the tide using his NATURAL TALENT. FIGHTER B would have a hard time turning the tide, but is certainly gifted enough to do so.

Sugar Ray Robinson was the best Welterweight of all-time, Marvin Hagler arguably one of the best Middleweights, if not the best considering his losses came by controversial decisions.

You don't stand and trade with Hagler and win. If Ray can't, won't, or doesn't spend the whole fight Boxing, he dies.

As far as Monzon/Jones, that's difficult because Roy in his Prime was all kinds of slippery, but Carlos was one of the best punchers in History and had a bad habit of knocking out slick Boxers who tried to stay away from him for entire fights.

For some reason my mind won't let me think we wouldn't end up seeing Hagler/Monzon in a shoot-out of chin and workrate versus punch.

I'm more familiar with Hagler than Monzon, but it's nearly impossible for me to fathom somebody standing and trading with Hagler and coming out for the better. The man had as close to an unbreakable beard as we're likely to see. He could be outpointed, but if there was to be a knockout in a Hagler fight...well..he wasn't going to be on the losing end.

If there was a guy who could KO Hagler by hitting him in the face, Monzon was that guy. Really. His power is very SFW Arguello-like.

From what I've seen, he definitely dropped bombs, but I just keep flashing back to Hearns unloading on Hagler and how it wasn't enough. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it would be fun to watch.

If there was a guy who could KO Hagler by hitting him in the face, Monzon was that guy. Really. His power is very SFW Arguello-like.

like i said in the other thread...Hagler-Monzon is a dream fight for me.

it would be something just plain fucking terrible. Nasty.

I think that it woulda taken Earnie Shavers to knock Hagler out. It think that Hearns hit harder than Monzon but couldn't faze Marvin.

However, I do see SRR and RJJ beating MMM via decision.

That said, I don't know what to do with the SRR/RJJ final...

Tommy Hearns hurt Hagler, that's without question. It just wasn't enough, and Hagler's incredible chin was aided by his arguably even more impressive recovery times.

Hagler-Monzon would be epic. I'll would take Hagler over Monzon. Both have solid chin, both have power. However, Hagler has never been hurt, his tenacity is unmatched. I can't see anyone going to toe-to-toe with him and survive. Even the great Monzon I believe would taste the canvas if he goes all out against Hagler.

Tommy Hearns hurt Hagler, that's without question. It just wasn't enough, and Hagler's incredible chin was aided by his arguably even more impressive recovery times.

Yep.

BTW, I just watched Hagler/Mugabi last week. Mugabi hit hard as hell and couldn't really hurt Marvin...

Marvin's strengths: chin, workrate, determination, combinations. Only a boxer with quick hands and quick feet could beat him--and only via decision. No one would knock him out...

Hearns stunned Hagler with a straight right and he held for a second and kept rolling. Hagler has an amazing chin. Once he tasted your best shot, his chin gets even better and he would just walk through all your punches.

Yeah, once Hagler knew what you were bringing, it was over with. He knew he had already taken your best shot and could give one better. That's what did in the Hitman.

Monzon wouldn't kayo Hagler but he can win via a cut after a few vicious uppercuts.

I see him winning the tournament against either Hagler or SRR.

I agree that Monzon-Hagler and SRR-RJJ would have been a much better match up. But if I stick to your tourney:
RJJ over Monzon by UD.
Hagler over SRR by UD. Maybe even late TKO. SRR was the best at 147 not 160.

RJJ over Hagler by UD.

Ideally:
Hagler over Monzon UD. If anything Hagler stops Monzon, nobody stops Hagler.
Jones over SRR UD. Too big and skilled at this weight for Robinson.

RJJ again. In his prime almost untouchable.

I think that it woulda taken Earnie Shavers to knock Hagler out. It think that Hearns hit harder than Monzon but couldn't faze Marvin.

I don't think Hearns hit harder than Monzon. But, Tommy lost that fight for more than one reason, a broken hand, the fact that he had a tendency to pose after he landed hard shots (same thing that got him wrecked by Barkley), and his chin. If you could take Tommy's punch and fire back, you could most-likely beat him.

None of that applied to Carlos. And if Tommy stunned Marvin, so could Monzon.

I don't think Hearns hit harder than Monzon. But, Tommy lost that fight for more than one reason, a broken hand, the fact that he had a tendency to pose after he landed hard shots (same thing that got him wrecked by Barkley), and his chin. If you could take Tommy's punch and fire back, you could most-likely beat him.

None of that applied to Carlos. And if Tommy stunned Marvin, so could Monzon.

I dunno man, Tommy and Mugabi's one punch power has got to better than Monzons. I figure if Carlos couldn't get Briscoe out of there I don't know if he could get Haglar out of there either. (cut's TKO aside) Either way, Monzons intelligence and size advantage would matchup against Haglars ungodly chin and southpaw stance. I think Haglers got to fight a more perfect fight than vice-versa. Soooooooo for today, Monzon takes it by a close but clear UD.

Back