Who wins between DC & Weidman?

serious, serious speculation going on there.

and you can dump on old man hendo as much as you want, but cormier has made a lot of bigger guys than that look pretty silly with his wrestling.

I'm not 'dumping' on Hendo by saying he was a collegiate wrestler 22 years ago, its factual. He doesn't appear to be capable of bending at the knees anymore, and I think 'stiff' is not a description anyone would dispute. Even if you forget all his physical inequities in his 40's, he simply doesn't do folk style wrestling, ever.

Cormier doesn't hang his hat on out wrestling Hendo, and thats a bad comparison to assess how Weidman matches up with him.

Weidman - by all accounts - is a jiu-jitsu wunderkind. John Danaher and Matt Serra both talk about him as a prodigy to submission fighting. You should already know he's an All-American out of Hofstra who beat both Phil Davis and Ryan Bader at 197lbs.

Cormier should have an edge in wrestling. He's not launching him like he's Hendo. Weidman is a whole other animal and looks to be one of the great MMA adapted wrestlers of his generation.

Cormier edge on take downs, Weidman edge on submission game. Would be a super fun fight.

DC by strikes, TKO punches on an exhausted Weidman.

DC by throwing Chris in the air like a dad playing airplane with his toddler.

depends how weidman looks at lhw

if he can bulk up a bit without losing too much speed I think he beats DC

he fights at HW without a problem. that's not 1 weight class above MW, it's two.

DC outwrestles everyone not named jon jones. and he ragdolls guys like hendo, who... was another wrestler who also fought at MW. not sure where you find the hyperbole in there.
You could pretty much call LHW 2 weight classes above MW considering it is a 20 lb difference.

Hyperbole much?

DC is very small for HW and small for LHW. He doesn't ragdoll people with size advantage, unless if you're talking about Dan Henderson. There is no size advantage here.

As for the fight, who knows. Weidman needs a couple more fights against the upper echelons at MW before we have a good idea of exactly what he is and isn't capable of. He's never been tested against a top wrestler who transitioned well into MMA (i.e. Munoz doesn't count).

no size advantage for DC?

dude, DC walks around at like 240

he has a major weight advantage on Weidman...unless you think weidman cuts 55lbs to make 185 lol

why do you think one is a MW and the other was fighting at HW?

Weidman is a B-level fighter, loses to champs like DC and Rockhold.

Yet you have no evidence of him losing a fight EVER. Personally I pick Rockhold over Weidman but your post was pure bullshit.

Yet you have no evidence of him losing a fight EVER. Personally I pick Rockhold over Weidman but your post was pure bullshit.

I have evidence of him going life & death with a diminished Lyoto Machida, who was wiped out with ease by Rockhold and Romero.

And for all we know, fighting a juiced-to-the-max Belfort in Brazil was an unwinnable fight for anyone. The version Weidman fought was just not the same animal at all. Had he gone down there into the belly of the unregulated beast, it's perfectly possible he could've been highkicked into oblivion just like Rockhold, Hendo and Bisping were. Vitor's next fight vs a legit top contender will tell us a lot about the difference in him since then.

I have evidence of him going life & death with a diminished Lyoto Machida, who was wiped out with ease by Rockhold and Romero.

And for all we know, fighting a juiced-to-the-max Belfort in Brazil was an unwinnable fight for anyone. The version Weidman fought was just not the same animal at all. Had he gone down there into the belly of the unregulated beast, it's perfectly possible he could've been highkicked into oblivion just like Rockhold, Hendo and Bisping were. Vitor's next fight vs a legit top contender will tell us a lot about the difference in him since then.

Ok, so Machida could have won a single round. Cool. All your hypothetical scenarios could totally come true.

Weidman's a better fighter. They're about the same functional size, and Chris actually has the advantage frame-wise.

I'd pick Chris.

i think weidman would beat dc

I know this is MMA Math but here's a simple test. Do you think Weidman does as well against Jon Jones as DC?

You shouldn't ask that as a rhetorical question on sherdog. I've seen people claim Weidman would not only beat Jones but even dominate Werdum.

Can we stop pretending Chris could beat any LHW in the top 10 let alone a top 3 guy in DC?

At 205 Chris would lose all his advantages that make him successful at MW. Size, power, and most importantly he would be slower and he's not fast to begin with.

Even Bader would mop the floor with Weidman.

Last edited:
Weidman's a better fighter. They're about the same functional size, and Chris actually has the advantage frame-wise.

I'd pick Chris.

WTF is functional size? DC destroyed a juiced up Bigfoot who has an advantage over anybody "frame-wise". The same Bigfoot that murked Fedor.

P4P it's Weidman for sure. In real life... that's a toss up. I'd watch that fight.

I think Weidman would win. Better conditioning and more well rounded.

Back