Who will be King of the Middleweight Division in 2013?

I'm not a big MArtinez fan, but you're way off in your assessment.

why ? martinez won convincingly enough the first time that i don't consider the rematch to be a " risky " fight .

martinez will just have more respect for chavez's power, and will easily outbox him again .

why ? martinez won convincingly enough the first time that i don't consider the rematch to be a " risky " fight .

martinez will just have more respect for chavez's power, and will easily outbox him again .

What fight would you prefer?

Martinez vs Chavez II is the only fight that makes sense for both of them. While Chavez did get out boxed for 11 rounds, I can understand why people want to see another after that 12th round.

I am interested in it because I want to see if Chavez let's his hands go in the second and what happens when he does? There is also the wildcard of Sergios knee. How does this affect his movement? can he move the way he did in the first fight if a rematch does happen? The fight makes sense because it is big money for Sergio and the what if's with Chavez.

Kid Chocolate gonna make a run in 2013. I hope he finally gets one of the big names. Jr,Martinez,Pirog,GGG. They gonna have to make room for him on HBO.

GGG. From a skill perspective he seems to be them most complete. How that translates as he moves up in competition remains to be seen.

Golovkin could be another Andre Ward. Looks good against lower competition, then shows how good he really is as competition gets stiffer. Time will tell.

golovkin
daniel geale
pirog

not saying they will win , but they're unknown quantities to sergio martinez

Given how Chavez suddenly realised that if you punch the guy in front of you, it might hurt him, I like the rematch. Pirog Geale and triple G are good fights for us but not good business unfortunately.

golovkin
daniel geale
pirog

not saying they will win , but they're unknown quantities to sergio martinez

I actually would watch the Geale fight. Golvokin isn't ready for that fight yet and Pirog is possibly the most overrated fighter in boxing at the moment.

Geale unfortunately decided to fight Mundine instead.

Sergio will still be fighting in 2013, as far as I can tell. Sergio will be the MW king.

Pirog is wasting away his talent by not fighting anyone. When he does fight he puts up uninspiring performances like he did against Ishida. He's probably the most skilled MW. But again he continues to rot away.

Golovkin has a lot of potential. I believe when he KO's Gabe Rosado he should fight Danny Geale for the title.

I like Geale a lot, he's legit.

Peter Quillin, he's a bit overrated. He dropped N'Jikam 6 times and couldn't finish him. That usually means he doesn't have good boxing ability. He's explosive, has power, but he doesn't really have the skills to beat guys like Golovkin or Pirog, and definitely he can't beat Sergio.

I think it's going to be either Sergio, or Danny Geale and Golovkin if they fight each other.

Pirog is wasting away his talent by not fighting anyone. When he does fight he puts up uninspiring performances like he did against Ishida. He's probably the most skilled MW. But again he continues to rot away.

Golovkin has a lot of potential. I believe when he KO's Gabe Rosado he should fight Danny Geale for the title.

Peter Quillin, he's a bit overrated. He dropped N'Jikam 6 times and couldn't finish him. That usually means he doesn't have good boxing ability. He's explosive, has power, but he doesn't really have the skills to beat guys like Golovkin or Pirog, and definitely he can't beat Sergio.

I think it's going to be either Sergio, or Danny Geale and Golovkin if they fight each other.

To be fair, N'dam is a good fighter who was the champ, and he has a solid chin and hard style to beat. I knew this would be an issue for Quillin before the fight even happened.

Anyway, I think GGG makes a good run in 2013, HBO will be hyping him and paying good money for the good fights.

To be fair, N'dam is a good fighter who was the champ, and he has a solid chin and hard style to beat. I knew this would be an issue for Quillin before the fight even happened.

Anyway, I think GGG makes a good run in 2013, HBO will be hyping him and paying good money for the good fights.

N'Jikam had a solid chin? he got knocked down so bad he fell out of the ring by Giovanni Lorenzo.

Very good analysis IMO.

One (small) point of contention--do you really think Pirog is more "talented" than GGG in the sense of having a pro career? In objective analysis, I can point to GGG's wins over successful pros like Dirrell, Lee and Bute as evidence of his pro potential. But what I'm really getting at is that many fighters from the Soviet Union and Cuba seem to have a different approach to what being a professional boxer means than western fighters have--and they often have less successful careers than their more talented counterparts because of it. With your username and unfaltering Solis support, you can probably think of a few examples of what I'm talking about.

GGG (or his handlers) have taken a "western" approach to being a pro--fighting out of U.S. gyms, offering themselves as sparring partners against U.S. and Mexican stars and progressing smoothly from gym legend to internet legend and soon-to-be HBO undercard legend. For where he is in his career, he's been well-exposed and if he continues to win he should be able to secure the fights that could lead to a memorable career. Pirog has a lot of ability, but what has he (or his handlers) done to show that he is an appropriate answer to the thread title? He turned pro in 2007 and has only fought 11 times. He beat heavily touted (at the time) American Daniel Jacobs for a WBO belt a year and a half ago on a Las Vegas PPV and since then he's only fought in Russia. He's 32 years old and I think that lack of good business decisions and/or ambition need to be taken into the equation when assessing his "talent" at this point.

Geale disposed of Mundine with nonchalant ease and has a workrate nobody in the division can match. How he would deal with the power of GGG is a big question mark though.

2013 is looking sexy.
Sergio-Gabriel-Martinez-Sergei-Dzindziruk7.jpg

Yes, it is.

I see nothing wrong with wanting to share a nice bottle of red wine with Sergio. Only good can come from that. Just sayin'.

Oh good. Gay for Sergio, what an original gimmick. It wasn't funny when the first guy did it, its not funny now.

Back