Who will be a champ first?

Like many before me have stated, I believe Gray Maynard has the perfect style to give Bendo fits, and thus I think he's going to be the first one to dethrone a current champion.

I could also pick Rory, but I doubt he'll ever fight GSP, and I don't see GSP losing any time soon.

Would you guys think I'm crazy if I brought up Gunnar Nelson into the discussion?

Like many before me have stated, I believe Gray Maynard has the perfect style to give Bendo fits, and thus I think he's going to be the first one to dethrone a current champion.

I could also pick Rory, but I doubt he'll ever fight GSP, and I don't see GSP losing any time soon.

Would you guys think I'm crazy if I brought up Gunnar Nelson into the discussion?

Gunnar is good but not proven yet, it's like brining Siyar in the discussion

Nah, he's Nordic.

That aside, premature. DJ isn't that good, but rather solid, a good start. Let's see.

Cormier needs a top 5 win, if he beats Staring, Dion isn't anywhere near the caliber of UFC top 15.

They don't have anyone else at Strikeforce for his last fight.

He can make it to UFC title fight in 1 year time. He is good and doesn't have much time in front of him so Dana would have to speed things up. One fight to hype him and than title shot doesn't look like bad idea to me.

That aside, premature. DJ isn't that good, but rather solid, a good start. Let's see.

I agree that it's way too premature to say anything in the lines of Gunnar being a seal for being a future champion, but I don't think it's premature to compare him to for example Erick Silva, whom OP has listed.

Most people think that the biggest thing going for Gunnar Nelson at the moment, is that he's beaten DeMarques Johnson. He's a high level black belt in BJJ (Submitted Jeff Monson in the Open Weight Division @ ADCC 2009 at just 21 years old) and the most impressive thing is, before picking up BJJ at 17 years old, he was touted as the next big thing in Karate. He won multiple Karate championships and thoroughly dominated all of his competition. He stopped doing Karate when he picked up BJJ, though.

There's more to the guy than just casually good ground skills and decent stand up that most UFC debutants possess and show off.

I should probably make this into a poll, but here we go...

Which one of these fighters do you think will be a UFC champion first?

Daniel Cormier
Rory MacDonald
Gilbert Melendez
Alexander Gustafsson
Gray Maynard
Eddie Alvarez
Erick Silva
Johny Hendricks
Gegard Mousasi
Chris Weidman
Hector Lombard
Alistair Overeem

I'm going with Daniel Cormier at LHW. I think he has all the tools to beat JBJ.

Damn, this is a tough call to make!

#1. Since the HW title shot for Overeem is going to come before the other title shots, then I'd have to say Alistair Overeem has the best chance of winning the belt.

Daniel Cormier - he has a very good shot at the HW title as well, but he might have to fight a few more fights before he gets his chance, so I'm going to put him behind Overeem. As to moving down to LHW, I'm not sure if he can make 205.

#2. Johny Hendricks - he has a very good shot at Matt Serra'ing GSP.

#3. Chris Weidman - if Silva retires, then he has a good chance at winning the vacant belt.

By the way, this thread would be much better with a poll option.

Daniel Cormier ( depending on which class )
or maybe Overeem. I'd say these two stands the best chance.

I don't see anyone at LHW, MW or WW beat the champions any time soon. Cormier could be HW champ but I don't favor him over JDS. I think LW is the best bet, and the best LW on that list is Gray Maynard. So Maynard.

This.

Well overeem will get his shot in may/June if he beats Bigfoot. So he has a decent chance has he will be first on that list to get a title shot

I agree that it's way too premature to say anything in the lines of Gunnar being a seal for being a future champion, but I don't think it's premature to compare him to for example Erick Silva, whom OP has listed.

Most people think that the biggest thing going for Gunnar Nelson at the moment, is that he's beaten DeMarques Johnson. He's a high level black belt in BJJ (Submitted Jeff Monson in the Open Weight Division @ ADCC 2009 at just 21 years old) and the most impressive thing is, before picking up BJJ at 17 years old, he was touted as the next big thing in Karate. He won multiple Karate championships and thoroughly dominated all of his competition. He stopped doing Karate when he picked up BJJ, though.

There's more to the guy than just casually good ground skills and decent stand up that most UFC debutants possess and show off.

Agree on the first part. Thanks for the info on the second - I didn't know he was so good in Karate.

I don't know who gets the first title shots and has a realistic chance to be the first, so...

Alvarez, he has the experience and is ready imo, second on the list i think is Cormier because he has power (even tho i thought the same about Del Rosario... he still can climb up), he has power and cardio, could use a good camp to polish up his stand up and he take out some HW's, maybe not the champ yet, but he can in the near future

Daniel Cormier : possible champ at LHW and HW
Rory MacDonald : I can see him being champ one day . no idea which weight class .
Gilbert Melendez : He's good but is he really champion material ? maybe , maybe not .
Alexander Gustafsson : Not now
Gray Maynard : the ultimate gatekeeper , will always beat everyone but will always be beaten by the champ somehow .
Eddie Alvarez : no
Erick Silva : no
Johny Hendricks : no
Gegard Mousasi : no
Chris Weidman : no
Hector Lombard : no
Alistair Overeem : very mix feeling about the reem . He got the tools but will he be a fool ?
Tim Boetsch : Champ in 2013 .

Back