who were the most influential instuctors/training partners you had

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by devante, Sep 23, 2010.

1. devante

devante Silver Belt

who were the most influentfial/impactful instructors-training partners you have had; how did they help you (tech-strategically-philosophically), how has your experience w/them continued to influence you, why did you seek to train w/this person.

2. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

1. William Johnson was my first real instructor. He taught me how to box, shoot my first double leg, kickbox, ground and pound and how to experience real fighting, full force without the option of giving up...he was hardcore.
    2. Bearnie Hartman- kickboxing coach and an absolute animal. He really revolutionized how I throw low kicks.
    3. Luis Togno was my first BJJ instructor. He taught me all my positional movement, how to sweep, and how to survive. Much of what I am today is attributed to the time he put in with me.
    4. Charles Hanebrink was my combat jiujitsu coach. He taught me all my leg locks, how to flow from submission to submission and how to put it together with what I already knew.
    5. Dennis Ashe Gordo black belt and great friend. He's the guy that got me down to Brazil and living my dream
    6. Roberto "Gordo" Correa my current BJJ professor and mentor. He watches me from day to day and fixes the small things cracks in my game, correcting them before they become big gaping holes.

Overall I've had a lot of influences on my martial arts career, but these are the people that molded me into what I am, in the particular order that I encountered them. As far as big influnces I have to site my uncle also, Robert Arel. He has over 45 years in Martial Arts and I always looked up to him as a kid.

Thanks for asking, this was like a walk down memory lane.

3. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

Gerbil, hurry up and get that black belt, so you can influence my game! I don't live too far from Charlotte, and I think I'd pay just to meet you and hear you talk about Brazil.

4. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Phil and Rick Migliarese and Tim Hart. All instructors of mine who gave me technical and philosophical knowledge. I would say Phil continually shows me how deep simple, good technique in jiujitsu is and what true finesse looks like when technique is applied. Rick inspires me with his creativity and intelligence both technically and as a coach and Tim has an amazing mind for modifying and creating technique in jiujitsu as well as having amazing timing and an ability to keep people perpetually uncomfortable no matter what position they are in when rolling.

My brother Drew is my best training partner. We are both of the same disposition and share similar training philosophies so we drill, train, experiment and discuss all aspects of grappling in a way that yields the most benefit for me out of any of my training partners.

5. Gerbiljiujitsu

working on it man, every day.

6. angrybandnerd

angrybandnerd Orange Belt

Of course Draculino. Every time I walk on to the mats I know my life is going to be changed in some simple way. Also, we had Mauro Gerald with us for a while. He became an instant friend and made jiu jitsu so simple for me. He always had something positive to say, and always made things so simple for me. I miss having him around already!

7. millasur

millasur Blue Belt

Ricardo Da Silva (Nova Forca instructor), Tim Radcliffe (UK MMA), Jimmi Lua (UK MMA), Arlans Siquera (Kimura Gym instructor), Nick Theodolou (Kimura Gym) and everyone at Nova Forca, it's a big family. Words can't express my gratitude to them all... Oh in terms of help, attention to detail with techniques, motivation, drilling, and of course all the tips i pick up and get told by trainin partners every session.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  8. revad3

revad3 Blue Belt

hey gerbil, just curious how long do u had ur brown belt with u?

9. VicDienekes

VicDienekes Green Belt

Dennis Asche.

I guess my most influential training partners would the guys I met at connection rio and trained with at Gordo jiujitsu- particularly jack mcgee and mike tousignant who invested alot of time in rolling with me and teaching me. Mainly, because they taught me I need to be less of a pussy.

Gerbil deserves an honourable mention, despite the fact I never met him. It was his moving to brazil thread that gave me the idea and inspiration to train in at gordo's, which is where I started my training at a svelte 110 kgs back in April. Currently rocking at 96 in a gi. I'd probably never gone in a bjj academy if I haven't taken the time to read that thread.

10. thegreenblender

thegreenblender Brown Belt

Paul Sharp, he used to be the coach for SBG Illinois. Brought the clinch to my game, introduced me to BJJ, and the crazy monkey boxing system.

BJJ-wise....honestly, a freakishly strong young kid. We had this new guy who was crazy athletic. Fast as hell, limber as hell, strong as a fucking ox. He trained for 3 months and started steamrolling in competition. I guess you never know what technique is until you HAVE to use it. Fortunately, we lived nearby and I got to train with him everyday for a while. Put some more efficiency in my game quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Funny enough, now I'm training with a guy in my little jiu-jitsu group who kind of reminds me of that experience. He's 6'9" and maybe 250 or so. Retardedly strong. Great base. Learning how to sweep him has taught me how to sweep everyone. I had a couple money sweeps I thought I had down, but now I'm really getting every inch of leverage out of them.

11. Gerbiljiujitsu

15 months, it goes by quickly

Thanks for the honorable mention :D

12. Junglist

Junglist Green Belt

omar salvosa - he's been my only instructor, but man 135 lbs. 5'5" bjj black belt was inspiration enough for me to join his club.

13. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Blue belt at my gym that taught me how to do a single from HG.

Was the start of my guard game.

14. JoshJuba

JoshJuba White Belt

My Dad started teaching me karate when I was 5, I'm 23 now and still going, taught me how to punch, kick, and generally whoop ass at a young age.lol. So I have to say he is the most influential instructor I've had. Another influential instructor I had was my high school wrestling coach Chad Singleton, Dude was an unreal coach. I learned a lot from him, and didn't realize it until I started doing BJJ. As a immature high school kid I attributed a lot of my wrestling "success" to my own work ethic, and my own skills, but he was an amazing coach looking back.