Who was the most technically refined HW?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's definately not Lennox Lewis. Wild looping telegraphed haymakers, though powerful like a mule punch.

Mike Tyson had a lot of commitment and leans into his straight right, but they were lightening fast.. I would say Tyson in the middle of the specturm between slugger and technican. Actually a good middle ground. but not the most technical in his fights. his physical disadvantages didnt allow it.

Wladimir Klitchko is obviously a very technical fighter.

Evander Holyfield is on the technical spectrum.

Sonny Liston I place in the middle. a litte bit of both.

George Foreman (both young and old) more on the slugger side of the spectrum, but not a complete slugger by any means. Had a very crisp straight right and jabb.

Lewis had a great jab that he followed up with a short right.

Larry Holmes was very technical. Amazing jab. Had the misfortune of following Ali.

and then there is:

Holmes jab is no 1 in boxing history, I'd say he should be remembered for his technical abilities as far as HWs go. Don't forget Toney was a HW at one point as well.

Gene Tunney was a good technician.

It's definately not Lennox Lewis. Wild looping telegraphed haymakers, though powerful like a mule punch.

Mike Tyson had a lot of commitment and leans into his straight right, but they were lightening fast.. I would say Tyson in the middle of the specturm between slugger and technican. Actually a good middle ground. but not the most technical in his fights. his physical disadvantages didnt allow it.

George Foreman (both young and old) more on the slugger side of the spectrum, but not a complete slugger by any means. Had a very crisp straight right and jabb.

Lennox was great technically and probably the most complete HW ever. He had all the physical advantages, and all the technical skill in the book. Your are really short changing him with a statement like that, he was not even CLOSE to a wild punching fighter, and although he had the ability to brawl inside, he could also box the hell out of his opponents as well.

Joe Louis comes to mind. Holmes had an exceptional jab, but I feel like his great physical attributes (stamina, chin, heart and speed) made up for some real defensive deficiencies at times.

Joe Louis comes to mind. Holmes had an exceptional jab, but I feel like his great physical attributes (stamina, chin, heart and speed) made up for some real defensive deficiencies at times.

By that token, John Ruiz was a marvel for getting as far as he did with as little as he had.

Lennox was great technically and probably the most complete HW ever. He had all the physical advantages, and all the technical skill in the book. Your are really short changing him with a statement like that, he was not even CLOSE to a wild punching fighter, and although he had the ability to brawl inside, he could also box the hell out of his opponents as well.

Lennox had great technical attributes but his style was not the most technical when it came to offense. I still feel Wladimir had cleaner offensive shots than Lewis.

It's definately not Deontay Wilder. Wild looping telegraphed haymakers, though powerful like a mule punch.

FTFY

Lots of great names here, I'd Pick:
1. Louis-Perfect technician, perfect punches, no one threw like him.
2. Holyfield-Was able to compete against naturally bigger/stronger men partly because of his solid teaching.
3. Patterson-maybe he wasn't quite "great" but he was a fine fighter who had a ton of technical knowledge. Some of the peekaboo stuff they say caused many of his knockdowns so he fought a little more orthodox after leaving cus and wasn't knocked down nearly as much, so he had the knowledge of Cus' system plus whatever else he learned later on. Oh yeah, can't forget, Ali called him the best technical boxer he fought, that counts for something.
4. Holmes-Great fighter, all around knowledge and ability, not quite the technician these other guys was because he imitated Ali with the hands down and all.

Lennox had great technical attributes but his style was not the most technical when it came to offense. I still feel Wladimir had cleaner offensive shots than Lewis.

That is just not accurate at all. Lennox's was easily one of the most skillful HW's ever, and could beat his opponents in every way in the book. The guy was a special fighter when you consider how skillful he was in combination with his physical attributes. I agree with you listing Holyfield as technical but do you remember what Lennox did to him?... he boxed the hell out of Holyfield.

And I would struggle to find anything Wladimir did better then Lewis offensively or defensively. Wlad got with Manny Stewart and became very adept at fighting a very specific way which was technical but limited. Lennox had a much more diverse offensive and defensive skill set, and just had more ways to beat his opponents, better combination puncher, better counter puncher, better inside fighter, better pot shots, jab...etc. I mean Wlad's right was taken away from him by Tyson Fury and rather then adapt he was soundly out boxed, and in the same situation that just does not happen to Lewis. Again, you are criminally minimizing Lewis's skill.

Last edited:
Lennox was nowhere near technically complete, i'd put him in the list of smartest heavyweights though, he could really fight a chessmatch, I'd put him and Ali as the top two smartest. Two things made him, his intelligence and his arrogance, lots of guys are big and lots of guys hit hard.

Lennox was nowhere near technically complete, i'd put him in the list of smartest heavyweights though, he could really fight a chessmatch, I'd put him and Ali as the top two smartest. Two things made him, his intelligence and his arrogance, lots of guys are big and lots of guys hit hard.

Yeah he wasn't the most technical at all. He telegraphed his punches. Wlad didn't. Watch his super crisp right crosses.

Back