Who was the greater UFC middleweight - Yushin Okami or Michael Bisping?

Kelman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OKAMI

UFC MW Record: 13-5

UFC Title Fights: 1

5 best wins: Mark Munoz, Alan Belcher x2, Nate Marquardt, Hector Lombard

Losses: Anderson Silva, Jacare Souza, Chael Sonnen, Rich Franklin, Tim Boetsch

BISPING

UFC MW Record: 16-7

UFC Title Fights: 0

5 best wins: Thales Leites, Chris Leben, Alan Belcher, Brian Stann, CB Dollaway

Losses: Rashad Evans, Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva, Luke Rockhold, Chael Sonnen, Vitor Belfort, Tim Kennedy

Similar, but I think Okami. I also think Youshin would beat Bisping head to head.

Okami. He beat much better comp and actually earned a spot in the top 3 MWs for about 4-5 yrs while Bispings wins over Leben and Stann are still considered 2 of his best wins.

Okami was a much more complete fighter in his prime, but he's had a much steeper fall of then Bisping and now IMO Bisping is a slightly better fighter looking at career totals.

Edit, I'm baffled that Okami is attempting to fight at 170, I guess if Lombard can do it the Yushin can too

Similar, but I think Okami. I also think Youshin would beat Bisping head to head.

I'm inclined to agree. I would have liked to have seen Bisping fight Okami, but the nature of his fighting career kinda made that impossible. The main difference is Okami actually managed to earn a titleshot.

Okami beat better comp.

Okami
Okami was more complete, had better wins, and was a legit top 5 MW for years
Bisping will be remembered, but Okami was the better fight

If the two had fought in their primes, I think it'd be 29-28 Okami

Huge fan of both fighters so it is tough. Bisping is the answer, simply because more wins on his resume period. Also Bisping performance against Chael Sonnen was superior to Yushin's fight with Chael. Of course Yushin did not reach his full prime until after he trained with Sonnen. Bisping has likely reached instant Hall of Fame status while the same can not be said of Okami. Both fighters equally enjoyable to watch for me.

Huge fan of both fighters so it is tough. Bisping is the answer, simply because more wins on his resume period. Also Bisping performance against Chael Sonnen was superior to Yushin's fight with Chael. Of course Yushin did not reach his full prime until after he trained with Sonnen. Bisping has likely reached instant Hall of Fame status while the same can not be said of Okami. Both fighters equally enjoyable to watch for me.

Why? He lost every contenders match he has ever had and has never held a title, let alone fought for one. He had an above average career, but that's about it.

Okami
Okami was more complete, had better wins, and was a legit top 5 MW for years
Bisping will be remembered, but Okami was the better fight

If the two had fought in their primes, I think it'd be 29-28 Okami

I agree. I think Okami takes this fight.

Okami easily. Bisping has just maintained longetivity due to favourable match making and the whole being British thing.

Okami was better at his peak but Mike had a much more successful career as a whole.

Bisping made more money, Okami had better wins

They talked about this on some mma show the consensus was he wasn't hall of fame material.

Okami, he beat better fighters and fought for the belt twice.

Bisping is probably my least favorite fighter of all-time, but at his peak I think he was better than any version of Okami. Okami's striking was too poor. In terms of peaks I don't think either guy is a top 10 MW of all-time.

Bisping is probably my least favorite fighter of all-time, but at his peak I think he was better than any version of Okami. Okami's striking was too poor. In terms of peaks I don't think either guy is a top 10 MW of all-time.

When would you say Bisping was at his peak?

Back