Who was the greater pro wrestler, Randy Savage or Bret Hart?

the ambush

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Who was the greater pro wrestler, Randy Savage or Bret Hart?

My answer: Bret

"Macho Man" Randy Savage

savageelbowanimated.gif
macho_man_drop.gif

8e75a92553dc3b1eecbd83049f3ae0ce.jpg

Bret "The Hitman" Hart

TerribleIncompatibleCapeghostfrog-size_restricted.gif

Hart-Heel-Turn.gif

bretfrustrated__d22b2d464fc847c06a3f2dd33fe747f9.0.jpg

Last edited:
Bret gets my vote as he could get a great match out of anyone. Macho was tremendous but Bret to me was the best technical wrestler ever.

Much respect to Mach, but the answer is Bret. He was a better in-ring performer, was more relatable to the audience, and had more iconic matches.

Mach was a great worker though, cut great promos, and looked/acted cool.

Bret is my boy obviously. But in terms of all around pro wrestling talent (i.e. promos, look, and in ring work), Macho was better. Bret was a better worker but not by a huge margin.

Macho wanted to work with Bret at Wrestlemania 9 and put him over but Vince thought Randy was too old. So instead he put the belt on Hogan .

Tough choice. I like Bret more but would probably say that prime Savage was better

Bret for sure, I have seen both wrestle live, Bret Hart was the best wrestler there was in WWF. His matches were always so fun and his pace was great.

Bret was very stiff on the mic though. But as far as the matches go, Bret was great

Finisher: Bret
Work rate: Bret
Ring psychology: Bret
Selling: Bret
Looks: Mach
Promos: Mach
Entrance: Mach
Signature matches: Bret
Bigger draw: different eras; no a valid comparison
More over: Bret(slightly)
Better at getting heat/pop: too close to call
Better at banging Steph: Mach
Better at having “sunny days”: Bret
Cooler gimmick: too close to call
Bigger mark for himself: Bret
Better merch: I guess Bret because the shades
Greater overall legacy: equals IMO

Last edited:
Bigger draw: different eras; no a valid comparison

They were the exact same era. Bret entered the WWF the year before Randy, Randy just shot to the Main Event while Bret was a tag guy. They both even held their final World Championship in the same year in WCW.

They were the exact same era. Bret entered the WWF the year before Randy, Randy just shot to the Main Event while Bret was a tag guy. They both even held their final World Championship in the same year in WCW.
They peaked in different eras, though. And most of the comparisons are based on how well they did during their peak years.

Randy was pushed to the moon while Bret was doing tags with Jim the Anvil. Bret got his big push while Vince had Randy doing commentary because he thought Randy was too old.

Bret is my boy obviously. But in terms of all around pro wrestling talent (i.e. promos, look, and in ring work), Macho was better. Bret was a better worker but not by a huge margin.

Macho wanted to work with Bret at Wrestlemania 9 and put him over but Vince thought Randy was too old. So instead he put the belt on Hogan .

That would've been $

Damn Vince...
And Damn Hogan

The real answer to the question is who drew more? I honestly don't know the answer, but I'm thinking it was Savage.

They peaked in different eras, though. And most of the comparisons are based on how well they did during their peak years.

Randy was pushed to the moon while Bret was doing tags with Jim the Anvil. Bret got his big push while Vince had Randy doing commentary because he thought Randy was too old.

Randy was still a Main Eventer and a World Champion in WCW while Bret was getting his major push in WWF though, it's not like Randy was done for and just quit wrestling when Bret got his push. The thread is "who is the greater professional wrestler" not "who had a better peak in the WWF"

Their WWF/WCW careers ran parallel to each other. Bret from 84-1999, Savage from 85-1999. Just because it took Bret longer to become a Main Eventer doesn't put him in a different era of wrestling. Bret and Savage were on the same exact shows, same exact PPV's etc. all through the late 80's. Randy was just a Main Eventer and drawing for all 15 years while Bret was only a Main Eventer and drawing for 7 years during the same time period.

Randy was still a Main Eventer and a World Champion in WCW while Bret was getting his major push in WWF though, it's not like Randy was done for and just quit wrestling when Bret got his push. The thread is "who is the greater professional wrestler" not "who had a better peak in the WWF"

Their WWF/WCW careers ran parallel to each other. Bret from 84-1999, Savage from 85-1999. Just because it took Bret longer to become a Main Eventer doesn't put him in a different era of wrestling. Bret and Savage were on the same exact shows, same exact PPV's etc. all through the late 80's. Randy was just a Main Eventer and drawing for all 15 years while Bret was only a Main Eventer and drawing for 7 years during the same time period.

WCW was the second-tier org until ‘96 or ‘97. And Randy wasn’t main-eventing much after the mid-nineties regardless.

You can argue Randy had greater longevity at the top, but he was never “the guy” for any promotion(I say this as a fan of his, and think he’s one of the best of all time). Meanwhile, Bret was the face of the fed for about 5 years.

That would've been $

Damn Vince...
And Damn Hogan
I dont know if it would have drawn but it was a pure wrestling fan's wet dream. I dont know that Bret could have gotten a better match out of anyone in the company at that time.

Back