Who was the first known person to actively train No-Gi?

jasond

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Does anyone know? We know the lineage of Gi BJJ from Kano to Maeda to Gracie, but I don't really know who the first real innovator in No-Gi was; just something my coach and I were talking about tonight.

probably Rolls, if we are talking jiu-jitsu players.

BTW... check your PM's jason.

Among pankration fighters, Dioxippus was perhaps the most famous. He won several Olympic games as no one dared challenge him, became friends with Alexander the Great and some accounts claim he defeated one of Alexander the Great's soldiers named Coragus (who fought with weapons and full armour), armed only with a club. Later, Dioxippus was framed for theft, which led him to commit suicide.

douche bag? what are we 12?

he said known person to train no-gi. 1 that implies he is looking for a person. 2 that implies that it was someone that would have favored a gi.

Yeah. That's kind of what we were talking about. Wrestling has existed practically forever, but he (my coach) was pretty much talking about the first major person to really actively break away from the Gi in modern times (ie: some time after Maeda brought JJ to Brazil).

I am pretty sure wrestling without a gi predates wrestling with a gi.

True. Wrestling has been around forever and a day, but not always practiced with submissions. We were mostly talking about the primary innovator of No-Gi JJ in modern times.

douche bag? what are we 12?

he said known person to train no-gi. 1 that implies he is looking for a person. 2 that implies that it was someone that would have favored a gi.

13..........I hear you the first person that trained BJJ GI then went to no GI?

True. Wrestling has been around forever and a day, but not always practiced with submissions. We were mostly talking about the primary innovator of No-Gi JJ in modern times.

this is a really good question Jason. i have to think it was rolls, at a guess. he was really the first to cross train wrestling, sambo etc, so he probably did some no-gi.
it may not have been until recently. before ADCC there wasn't much reason for a gi player to take the gi off.

out of JJ I would probably say Rolls like the other 2 guys

Back