Who was the fighter that surprised you the most with his career?

Funny thing about that, when Struve got to the UFC with his age, experience, and length I thought he would be the dark horse in the division
I was way off on both counts

Classic case of can dish it out but can't take it
whether wrestling or getting ktfo

but I mean at heavyweight it's hard to say sometimes

Neil Magny. Coming from a lack luster TUF season where the 'let me bang bro' is the most memorable thing about it, he went on a 7 fight win streak at one point, has faced multiple former UFC champs/interim champs, and is now a record holder as one of the fighters who has the most WW fights in UFC history.

I gotta mention Poirier too. From being a young FW who had losses to KZ and Swanson early, I was surprised that down the road he'll leave a mark at LW, the most stacked and competitive division in history, as one of the best fighters in the division and one of the guys who had the best resume at 155.

For me Whittaker, though in hindsight his beatdown by Thompson proved to be not so bad, at the time I'd barely heard of Wonderboy though.

Whittaker is probably the career that all of those who look at moving up weight classes think of, he seems much faster (particularly when he fought Jacare) and his wrestling sure has held up.

I consider Lawler a journeyman so.
Never thought much of him.
Robbed Hendricks blind too.
Lol a champ is a journeyman? He beat Hendricks ass the second fight of the fight went any longer Hendricks was breaking.

giphy.gif

Honestly. McGregor.

Knock out Aldo and lose to Nate frickin Diaz in your next fight.

That surprised the shit out of me.

"That would have to be me."

- Kenny Florian

Khabib. I really thought he was destined to become the goat after winning the title and could have made a long run at LW, i didn't really believe he would actually retire.

For me, Matt Brown.

Followed him from TUF days. I think the last TUF show that I've watched. I never thought he had anything special, and that he was just going to be a journeyman that he was prior to the show. I mean he was 7-5 at REGIONAL level. You don't usually make it to the UFC with that, let alone make a good career out of it.

And that's what he did. I was shocked that he beat Wonderboy, but he beat him fair and square. He had 14 year run in the UFC, as tough as they come.

Was he an elite fighter? No. But he was game, and he had a hell of a career, while fighting whos who in his weight class.

Randy Couture

I thought at 33 he was almost done when he started but then all the fights and wins he had at his latter age. I knew he was capable of winning but he seem to do well with age being against him.

Sexyama, thought he was as sexy as possible then got even sexier with each fight.

Rockhold

I honestly thought when he won the championship he would go on a major run and be like a MW GSP

hazlet. couple of epic highlight subs :D

Back