Who was the better fighter at the end of the day? Vitor or Wand?

There were multiple Vitors and multiple Wanderleis throughout theirs careers. Of course we can say that about pretty much every fighter but for this two the discrepances are huge. Young Vitor and TRT Vitor are totally different beasts. Pride Wanderlei and old Wanderlei doesnt even look like the same person.

I think is relevant to say that Wanderlei was highly viewed as the king of his division in his prime while being champion for years. He got to the top of the mountain. Vitor never came close to this.

Wandy won the LHW title in pride and kept it for a decent length of time. He also fought whoever at whatever weight. Vitor when he beat wandy was juiced to the gills. He apparently had a much better roid regiment than anyone else. I think wandy stayed in his prime far longer than vitor, who after his first couple of years, went up and down thru his career. Wandy has more ko wins than vitor has wins. Vitor won the title and held it for 1 fight, lost the other 2 fights for belts while wandy held the title for several years. The pride middleweight was far better than the ufc LHW divisions. Both were 205, just prides was stacked where the ufc was not. I like both, but wendy's record and reign puts him ahead of vitor because vitor never went on a winning spree that lasted more than like 5 fights tops then he would lose a couple.

I remember becoming a huge Vitor fan after watching him destroy Tank. I'd seen him vs ferrozo and telligman before that, iirc....but when he was up against Tank I literally remembering feeling bad for this kid, to be thrown into a fight like that. Then he annihilated Tank in like a minute. I've been a fan ever since.

BUT....now that I'm thinking about it.....how amazing would it have been to see Wanderlei vs Tank??? :eek: What would THAT fight have looked like?!!! Can you imagine?
That’s the same fight that hooked me with those 2 straight lefts!

How about high kick ko'ing Hendo?

0-37774-1
Come on, beating that version of hendo isn't impressive.

And how can anyone pick Vitor here? He was never the number one guy for a prolonged period of time like wand was.

Vitor's the better fighter, also smoked him when they fought. More skilled. But Wand had the much greater career. Vitor didn't have a run typical for greats in his prime. Injuries, not as active, family stuff and just all around inconsistency. Very high peak though, or a couple of peakings, early on and in 08-09.

A lot of people here may have Wanderlei “Spam Hooks” Silva in their head. In his prime, Wand had incredible combinations and speed. There was an interview years ago where Rampage even said he was amazed with how fast Wand was in their first fight. Prime Wanderlei would have been competitive (I’m not saying he would win but he wouldn’t get blown out) with any lhw in any era. Speed power, amazing defensive grappling and a huge gas tank.

Vitor was the better striker. 2013 Befort beat any version of Wandy.

However Wanderlei was never scared of anybody, he was never scared to exchange with anybody. Vitor was. If you dont believe me just watch Sakuraba, Overeem 2, Hendo 1 and Jones fights and you will see what's up
The mental part of the game was always his problem. He looked like a killer in the fights where he was confident and pretty bad in the ones where he wasn't.

If Vitor had Wanderlei's mental game he would have had a much more successful career. Having his sister kidnapped really fucked him up and he also got caught up in being a Brazilian celebrity. Wand just wanted to war with everyone and seemed like he was always game. Of some of the fights Vitor lost you can tell his heart wasn't fully into the fight.

But the more skilled guy is for sure Vitor. Wand got by on brute strength and aggression.

And why do you think so?

It's a simple, straight forward question...but once you begin really thinking about it it's not so simple (I'm not gonna explain why, because I don't want noobs itt).

This thread is for the hardcores. The folks who watched both guys fight at their peaks. The folks who understand the backstories and circumstances for each guy's fights. The folks who know each guy's history.

What say you, sherdog?

I go with wanderlei.
Sure if they fight each other, vitor is a bad match up for wand.
But the bestiality that wand brought to the table in his best days is something that put wand above.
I just dont see vitor run through a young rampage like wand did.
At one point, wand was the very definition of what fighting is, vitor never reached this high despite being a great fighter

Uhhh....

Wanderlei was mw champ in the toughest division in mma at the time, with a 20 fight win streak that ended when he fought Mark Hunt on 3 days notice.

Vitor may have beat him n had a resurgence before he became a can again, but Vitor's peak when nowhere near as high as Wanderlei's.

Wanderlei was the king of Pride's 205 lb division. Vitor was being tapped by Alistair.

Vitor by far. Not only did he beat Wanderlei, but he has the better resume.

And how can anyone pick Vitor here? He was never the number one guy for a prolonged period of time like wand was.

Because these fools have no knowledge about mma.

Lol please post this better resume. This is one of the worst posts itt.
Vitor has wins over Franklin, Hendo 2x, Rockhold, Bisping, Wanderlei.
Vitor beat Wanderlei by ko when they both fought, and had a much longer career. Wanderlei had some good wins like Rampage and Hendo, but he also got ko'd by both guys and never really found success in the UFC.

I'd have to go with Wand. His long reign as Pride MW champion eclipses any of Vitor's achievements. They were both very young and not yet in their primes when they fought, still all respect for Vitor because he made the young Wand a highlight reel. Vitor has also had the better longevity of the two, whether that's due to talent or helped along by chemistry is open to debate.

Wand was just unbelievable utter violence.
Vitor played the mma game better (with the watered down "unified" rules)

Back