Who was the better fighter at the end of the day? Vitor or Wand?

Ask yourself : who would you rather be?

neither. Both had a lot of horrid things occur in the cage and ring

Well Vitor has no known weaknesses so...

Well to be fair, back when they said that, he really didn't! He had amazing striking with power, speed and accuracy. He had a black belt in gracie jitz (back when that was a rarity), and he could sprawl like a banshee (if banshees can sprawl really well, idk). So that was accurate, back then. We didn't know about his stamina until the first Randy fight.

Vitor was the better striker. 2013 Befort beat any version of Wandy.

However Wanderlei was never scared of anybody, he was never scared to exchange with anybody. Vitor was. If you dont believe me just watch Sakuraba, Overeem 2, Hendo 1 and Jones fights and you will see what's up

Wand and it's not even close. Vitor's best win was a freak accident that was cleared up in a rematch.

However Wanderlei was never scared of anybody, he was never scared to exchange with anybody. Vitor was. If you dont believe me just watch Sakuraba, Overeem 2, Hendo 1 and Jones fights and you will see what's up

No I agree, he definitely was at times scared to engage. He could be gun shy.
Wand never was. So that's a good point!

Yeah, vitor was scared of wand back then and i heard a rumor that Vitor was crying back stage out of fear before facing Wand because Wand was a fucking animal. I could be wrong but yeah, Vitor cut right through him like a buzzsaw.
That rumor came from Sergio Batarelli (KB & Vale Tudo, then Manager & IVC Promoter), but he sometimes likes/liked to see things bigger than they are/were...

Seems Vitor Gracie had a nervous breakdown backstage & indeed cried: was it because of the Brazilian crowd? 1st time in Brazil? Was it because of Wand (hard to tell... Wand started his Vale Tudo career 11 months prior to this fight... Did Vitor know him that well?)

Last edited:
Wanderlei had the better career. Who was Vitor’s best win? Randy?

Wanderlei’s long title reign included wins over Sakuraba, Henderson, and Rampage. Though it was technically a draw, Wanderlei also clearly beat Cro-Cop in their first fight as well. I also think he deserved the win against Hunt, but that is neither here nor there.

Wand had the better career but I think Vitor is a bad matchup for Wand. That speed mixed with his power would always be trouble for Wand but Wand in PRIDE was a beast and that ruleset would probably be required for Wand to have his best chance of beating that monster that was TRT Vitor with the mohawk.

Wanderlei’s long title reign included wins over Sakuraba, Henderson, and Rampage. Though it was technically a draw, Wanderlei also clearly beat Cro-Cop in their first fight as well. I also think he deserved the win against Hunt, but that is neither here nor there.
You´re entitled to believe he won it, but the Hunto fight was no hobbery, accordin´to Pride´s complex Scorin´System ...

How about high kick ko'ing Hendo?

0-37774-1

Last edited:
Wand and it's not close. Wand was a long-reigning champion (aside from a fluke, Vitor was never even a champion), Wand had better wins, Wand had a much longer unbeaten streak, and Vitor almost always lost the big fights because he lacked fortitude (i.e., if his opponent put up any real resistance, Vitor would essentially quit). The fact that Vitor beat a very green Wand doesn't change the analysis.

Couture beat his ass twice, he completely dominated him and finished him.

Vitor win over him was a fluke. 40 seconds when Vitor landed good punch but thumb hit the Couture eye.

I think it was the same eye which was injured by Ricco Rodriguez elbow.

I would love to see 2013 Vitor again. He was a killer.

And why do you think so?

It's a simple, straight forward question...but once you begin really thinking about it it's not so simple (I'm not gonna explain why, because I don't want noobs itt).

This thread is for the hardcores. The folks who watched both guys fight at their peaks. The folks who understand the backstories and circumstances for each guy's fights. The folks who know each guy's history.

What say you, sherdog?
Vandy , because : Vandy - Pride 205 pound champ , Vitor - No champ .

I remember becoming a huge Vitor fan after watching him destroy Tank. I'd seen him vs ferrozo and telligman before that, iirc....but when he was up against Tank I literally remembering feeling bad for this kid, to be thrown into a fight like that. Then he annihilated Tank in like a minute. I've been a fan ever since.

BUT....now that I'm thinking about it.....how amazing would it have been to see Wanderlei vs Tank??? :eek: What would THAT fight have looked like?!!! Can you imagine?
Vandy fought Hunto .

Wands career was obviously better.

But the best version of vitor is better than the best version of wand.

Back