Who was Fedor's greatest win?

On retrospect, in PRIDE, Cro Cop was the most overall skilled fighter that Fedor faced. At that time, he was fast, his reflexes were incredible, his boxing was top notch, his kicks were starting to lose a little luster on the speed but were still dangerous, his ground game had improved massively, his guard was much better than it is now, his ability to stand was instantaneous. Cro Cop was a dangerous fucking man during that period.

And Fedor just absolutely wore him down and beat the shit out of him after the first round.

Which is why I said that his win over Cro-Cop deserves #1.

Nog is one dimensional? gtfo... you have no idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes:
I love me some Big Nog, but as time has progressed, he's been more about his ability to sustain damage and never give up than necessarily being super skilled. It's kind of why he looks and moves like a 58 year old instead of a man just hitting his late 30s.

You're telling me Nog back then was the same fighter he was later in his career? Please. Nog was younger but not nearly as well rounded. He was an expert jiu-jitsu practitioner and nothing else. Nog improved his stand-up tremendously later in his career, just like Werdum.
Yeah, at the time of the first win, Nog had shitty stand-up. It improved massively by the second fight, but Fedor had improved a lot more, and it showed.

Fedor was well-rounded but many pride HW fighters at that time (Yvel, Sapp, Nog, Herring, Goodridge) were one-dimensional. So it's not that surprising to find only 2 people do to that too Nog.

I'm not saying it wasn't "impressive" but that it's been overrated. A versatile fighter should not be able to dominate a 1-dimensional fighter (at the time).

If any one win for Fedor in Pride should rank #1, it's his win against Cro-Cop.

Dude someone had to be that guy that was ahead of everyone else at that time and it was Fedor. You can't say overrated when Fedor was doing something that other fighters weren't at that time and that was being really well-rounded and being great at every position and you can't blame him for that. It's like Michael Jordan, he was doing moves nobody ever saw before or even knew how to do and defenders didn't know how to block them but that doesn't mean all he did was overrated, it only showed that a new era had begun. That is why Fedor is considered an all time great because he was ahead of the game and fighters couldn't figure him out.

You're telling me Nog back then was the same fighter he was later in his career? Please. Nog was younger but not nearly as well rounded. He was an expert jiu-jitsu practitioner and nothing else. Nog improved his stand-up tremendously later in his career, just like Werdum.

Big Nog stood with Sergei for much of the fight and it was even and Sergei was much better back then. Nog improved his KO power later in his career, his skill didn't really improve.

Yeah, at the time of the first win, Nog had shitty stand-up. It improved massively by the second fight, but Fedor had improved a lot more, and it showed.

Still not at the level it was when Nog fought Mir, for instance. Had Nog not taken so much damage early in his career, chances are Mir wouldn't have knocked him out but still likely would have won a decision.

Dude someone had to be that guy that was ahead of everyone else at that time and it was Fedor. You can't say overrated when Fedor was doing something that other fighters weren't at that time and that was being really well-rounded and being great at every position and you can't blame him for that....

I don't think Fedor, as a fighter, was overrated in Pride. He was the best Pride HW ever. I think Fedor was extremely overrated from 2007 - 2012 (and I suppose the present judging on some of the comments I read).

Fujita and Randleman both looked like he was about to lose and then bam he wins.

I love me some Big Nog, but as time has progressed, he's been more about his ability to sustain damage and never give up than necessarily being super skilled. It's kind of why he looks and moves like a 58 year old instead of a man just hitting his late 30s.

this is true. he manages to outlast his opponents,and THEN implement his game. he usually is just good enough skillwise to just survive. he doesnt hit hard (now with the added bulk he does) hes not explosive,and its very difficult for him to get guys to the ground. His skills in striking were JUST ENOUGH to keep sylvia off of him and stay alive but its not like did any damage. he simply lasted long enough and was relentless enough to finally get the big man down and work his ground game. In that way he is similar to diego sanchez. If you watch his fights with barnett.thats really nog at the top of his game physically. but since then he has been getting by on being tough and oppurtunistic,not on any kind of varied skillset

fedor and nog part III was simply fedor deciding to the complete opposite of what he did in the first fight. Nog was not prepared for that at all

Still not at the level it was when Nog fought Mir, for instance. Had Nog not taken so much damage early in his career, chances are Mir wouldn't have knocked him out but still likely would have won a decision.
Honestly, by the Mir fight, I think that Nog was actually worse. His technique hasn't improved much from the 2004 period when he amped up training to fight Fedor. His boxing technique has always been "okay", but it was more than decent during that time frame, which his fights with Kharitonov showed and later Barnett. But, Fedor still beat that Nog that whooped Kharitonov's ass, who definitely had high quality boxing at the time. Fuck, Kharitonov came in like he was Conor McGregor and put on a masterclass against Murilo Ninja and Semmy Schilt.

Motherfuckers know Nog outboxed pretty much all his opponents he beat except Cro Cop and Timmy, right?

Nogueira was arguably the p4p best fighter in the world in February 2003.

Motherfuckers know Nog outboxed pretty much all his opponents he beat except Cro Cop and Timmy, right?

Apparently they don't, or they are trying to rewrite history.

No they don't know, because they don't watch fights and they don't like Fight Pass (which fucking rules).
BlizzardVeers said:
Fuck, Kharitonov came in like he was Conor McGregor and put on a masterclass against Murilo Ninja...
That fight really didn't need to happen. There was literally no reason for a relatively small 185er in Ninja to fight Sergei lol.

Nog 1. During that time Nog was considered greatest HW and many believed that Nog would stay unbeaten for many years.

Nog #1, Crocop #2, Arlovski #3, and Sylvia #4. Those would be his top 4 wins.

Nog 1. During that time Nog was considered greatest HW and many believed that Nog would stay unbeaten for many years.
Nogueira probably would have gone legit undefeated for several years if he never got robbed by Hendo (youtube that fight, BULLSHIT decision it was 1-1 and Hendo didn't win the overtime), and if Fedor did not exist.

It is strange to me that people attempt to gauge a fighter's greatness and abilities based on the shambling performances put on 10 years after his glory days. lol

Nogueira probably would have gone legit undefeated for several years if he never got robbed by Hendo (youtube that fight, BULLSHIT decision it was 1-1 and Hendo didn't win the overtime), and if Fedor did not exist.

It is strange to me that people attempt to gauge a fighter's greatness and abilities based on the shambling performances put on 10 years after his glory days. lol
It is rather amusing. It's like, "Don't you people know that these guys were dominant in 2002-2005? This was a fucking decade ago. They're still able to compete with most of the talent today, and they'd lose to these people in their prime, 'because the sport passed them by'?"

I think Father Time is pretty pissed at Mary Evolution getting all the credit for the shit he does.

Nog vs Fedor 1 is my most watched fight. I watched it over 20 times.

Back