Who thinks southerners are wimps when the temp is less than 60 F?

rj144

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So, this is kind of a weird thread, but it was mentioned yesterday that at the Niners game a lot of people were wearing coats when it was in the 50's (Fahrenheit for you foreigners with the backwards Celsius system. ;) )

Anyhow, I'm originally from New England and moved to the South 20 years ago and my friends always bust on Southerners when it gets cooler than 60 that they were coats and sweaters. But, I always argue it's just because when it's in the 50's down here, it's in the 20's up there and 50's looks warm. However, AFTER the summer, when they've been used to warm weather for 3 months, they break out the coats when it first gets in the 50's too. I see it at every fall baseball game up there. It's just a relative temperature thing.

You're right that we react differently to temperatures within context.

If it's July and it's 60 degrees in the morning, that can feel cold when every day is in the 90s or higher.

Or now, being January, yesterday felt like the worst days of summer when it was only 70 degrees.

Most people don't think this.

I've been living in Miami for a little over a year now and this place got me fucked up.

Was visiting family the other day and the temperature would regularly be in the mid 50s and I was feeling like I was in Siberia lol

I've been living in Miami for a little over a year now and this place got me fucked up.

Was visiting family the other day and the temperature would regularly be in the mid 50s and I was feeling like I was in Siberia lol

I get it used to it pretty quickly if I visit up north as long as it's not brutally cold. 50's wouldn't bother me that much.

I'm from the Northeast and put on a coat and hoodie when it's in the 50s

It's funny to see Alaskans in shorts and flip flops the day it gets over 35 degrees.

So, this is kind of a weird thread, but it was mentioned yesterday that at the Niners game a lot of people were wearing coats when it was in the 50's (Fahrenheit for you foreigners with the backwards Celsius system. ;) )

Anyhow, I'm originally from New England and moved to the South 20 years ago and my friends always bust on Southerners when it gets cooler than 60 that they were coats and sweaters. But, I always argue it's just because when it's in the 50's down here, it's in the 20's up there and 50's looks warm. However, AFTER the summer, when they've been used to warm weather for 3 months, they break out the coats when it first gets in the 50's too. I see it at every fall baseball game up there. It's just a relative temperature thing.

Backwards? Water freezes at 0 celsius and boils at 100. It makes sense. Fahreneit is so fecking stupid.

Typical Texas summer is over 100, with 78% humidity. When it drops to 50 with wind and high humidity it feels cold.

I noticed the wife and I felt cold going to Vegas in a van this past December. After a few days in the 40s it didn't seem bad at all. When it dropped to 13 near Moab, that was cold, but the last night in a Vegas hotel we turned the A/C on just to stand it.

A day back in Texas with temps in the 40s and high humidity and that shit feels Cold!

So yeah, I've not point, but it's relative to conditions, yo.

<Waaah>

Last edited:
Yankees lost all credibility when they were flattened by glorified thunderstorms a few years back.

When I lived in Illinois it would take me a week or so to get used to the cold. Once my body adjusted I was able to remain warm in about any winter mid-west weather.

Now that I live in S. Florida, and it's typically cold only a day or two a week in winter, I never get that time to adjust to the chill. So when it's in the 60s it's chilly to me.

Backwards? Water freezes at 0 celsius and boils at 100. It makes sense. Fahreneit is so fecking stupid.
Cool, but we're talking about air temperature and fahrenheit is measured in smaller increments and thus more.

I live in the bay area. When it goes from 100 degrees to 50 degrees it feels fucking cold.

Conversely when it has been 50 degrees for a couple of months and goes up to 60 it feels fucking hot.

This shit happens everywhere

Back