1. The Sherdog Forums are currently experiencing technical difficulties, and we are working on it. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Who thinks GSP vs. Woodley will most likely be a boring blanket-fest?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Combat Wombatt, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Combat Wombatt

Combat Wombatt Brown Belt

I love GSP, but as he got older and more cautious he got more boring and his last 7 wins were by decision. Some would say after he got TKO'd by Matt Serra the once exciting fighter was gunshy and played it safe, usually striking to get the TD and then GnP until he got the decision victory.

Woodley is a supremely powerful striker with speed and great wrestling. If they fight I expect GSP to wisely play it safe, especially in his comeback fight. So, expect GSP to strike just enough to set up his TD, get his TDs, rinse and repeat until Woodley gasses and is vulnerable for a finish (I think Woodley is too tough to be finished by GSP), so most likely GSP wins by UD. As hyped and exciting as GSP's return would be......it also has the chance of being an anti-climatic, boring fight.

Who thinks that GSP vs. Woodley will most likely be an anti-climatic boring blanket-fest that GSP wins via decision?

2. sirmorbach

sirmorbach These violent delights have violent ends

Greatness is never boring.

GSP bless.

3. basementdweller

basementdweller Black Belt

I may be wrong but I think it's gonna be in GSP's interest to keep it standing.

4. ElCasca

ElCasca Brown Belt

5. ElCasca

ElCasca Brown Belt

But he manages to be boring standing up as well

Gamer007 and basementdweller like this.
  6. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Titanium Belt

What would make you think a GSP fight is going to be boring?

7. pocket

pocket White Belt

yes

Gamer007 likes this.
  8. MikeHolmes

MikeHolmes Green Belt

I actually will say that I think GSP is more exciting than Woodley. I know Woodley has been scoring KOs in the UFC, but he also did that in Strikeforce with the Galvao fight. In his heart, he's a cage humper and a lay n prayer. Woodley couldn't do anything to opponents with his wrestling other than hump. GSP at least passes guard and lands strikes on the ground. Make Woodley get into a fight and it's boring as fuck.

vodkaBearSnow and kokoei like this.
  9. Combat Wombatt

Combat Wombatt Brown Belt

Why?

10. TheNorseMen

TheNorseMen Purple Belt

Woodley will come out power drunk / head hunting and it will be a long night for him

11. FastTracker

FastTracker Brown Belt

Most likely will be a 50-45 GSP or a KO for Woodley

12. mjfan23

mjfan23 Silver Belt

Jab fest maybe

13. Ether13

Ether13 Green Belt

GSP is MMA's Klitchko (either).

robbie likes this.
  14. TheRuthlessOne

TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

GSP has never been a blanket

he is always passing guard and throwing strikes on the ground

TS is confirmed to being a MMA noob or a Troll

15. cungfu

cungfu Purple Belt

It's either that or boring stand-up with sub-par boxing. There's also a small chance of Woodley KO, but a very small chance.

I would almost say there's almost a chance of a submission, but knowing GSP and Woodley...

16. basementdweller

basementdweller Black Belt

I can be wrong, tbh I don't remember most of GSP's career by this point. what I remember well is him vs koscheck and that was, if I'm not mistaken, a striking clinic against a good wrestler. now woodley is a great wrestler, but he can get fucked against a dude that will keep it standing like rory did. GSP with that karate background, IDK if he has the reach, but if he keeps standing for the first rounds, in the championship rounds he'll probably be outpointing woodley and woodley will be slow and gas first.

TrainInVain likes this.
  17. robbie

robbie Brown Belt

Good analogy. People forget how dominant GSP was during his WW title reign. As good as Hendricks and Lawler are, they did not hang on to the belt very long while GSP went a very long and dominant time as the champ and his only loss during his two times with the belt was a 1st title defense vs. Serra and a controversial but close decision win over Hendricks after a great deal of wear and tear in the cage including major surgeries to both knees and a major hamstring injury. GSP at his prime was easily the most dominant WW ever and if he has gotten healthy and gotten his timing back, i think he could win the WW strap again.

vodkaBearSnow likes this.
  18. blazerkor

blazerkor Purple Belt

There's a great chance that Woodley can stay upright against GSP and make this thing an exciting fight.

TrainInVain likes this.
  19. Hasbeen

Hasbeen I'm Ants In My Eyes Johnson

I think Woodley is going to knock GSP out in the middle of the 2nd. GSP was getting hit by Shields and Hendrix pretty easily. I think Woodley is gonna clobber GSP in this one. GSP won't get the takedown on Woodley either.

Kung Fu bb and DetachedOrchid like this.
  20. kungfu_taichi

kungfu_taichi Yellow Belt

I have never found GSP's fights boring. But to me, the more definitive issue is 'ring rust' is real. GSP would be going in there after four years off against a guy who knocked out Lawler. If he sits in the pocket and trades, this would be over soon.

I compare ring rust to what happens when when you stop doing knife self defense drills and start free sparring with knives. The reality of the penalty for a mistake makes you tentative. You get past it (eventually), but by then, you're cut up. In mma, you're knocked out or submitted.

GSP could win against Woodley, but you know Woodley will start fast, and that would be the riskiest time for GSP.