who the F**K is Sergio Moraes?

he looks totally different in those vids from the guy on fightfinder

Actually its a perfect example of BJJ, the guy who stood did get what he wanted out of it, either a reset from the guard player or a chance to square himself, and he did it without slamming, But then again he is a BJJ BB, and you are not. So maybe slams should be legal for guys who dont want to be bothered with actually using BJJ in BJJ tournaments?

Wait... it's a perfect example of BJJ? Which part? Standing up and then not being able to do anything, or hanging on and looking like a complete dumbass? What's the rationale for not allowing slams? So no one gets hurt? Huh, so I wonder if it'll get to the point where you can't snap my arm if I don't tap, so you don't hurt me...

What's the difference exactly? There is none. If I lift you in your guard, then I have you in a position that should force you to do something, or risk being hurt, which is no different than if I had you in a heel hook, except that in one, you tap and in the other you open your guard. The can opener is another example. If you have me in your guard and I put you in a can opener, you have the choice of opening your fucking guard, or getting hurt. It's your choice either way.

If you have me in your guard and I put you in a can opener, you have the choice of opening your fucking guard, or getting hurt.

Or armbaring you. ;)

To hang onto guard when someone stands up in it is just sport bjj. Obviously it is of no use in a self-defense situation because you are going to get slammed and hurt, but in the confines of a bjj tourney it works fine because the rules state that you can't be slammed.

What's the difference exactly? There is none. If I lift you in your guard, then I have you in a position that should force you to do something, or risk being hurt, which is no different than if I had you in a heel hook, except that in one, you tap and in the other you open your guard. The can opener is another example. If you have me in your guard and I put you in a can opener, you have the choice of opening your fucking guard, or getting hurt. It's your choice either way.

Did you not watch the vid? Everytime he stood he DID force the guard player to readjust, open or he simply squared himself to avoid trouble. Cursing wont make you right, let me guess you dont train or compete in BJJ competitions?

Or armbaring you. ;)

To hang onto guard when someone stands up in it is just sport bjj. Obviously it is of no use in a self-defense situation because you are going to get slammed and hurt, but in the confines of a bjj tourney it works fine because the rules state that you can't be slammed.

You would have to open your guard to armbar me.

I know the rules say you can't slam... I just don't understand why. I can't get all the way to my feet with someone hanging off me, but they can just continue hanging on the entire time without fear of any kind of consequence. I think it's silly. A slam isn't going to be any worse than some Judo throws, and much easier to counter simply by opening your guard.

I just think they don't allow it because it's too easy a counter. Too many wrestlers would slam the shit out of people, and people just don't like the idea of that. Wah!

touche!

I know the rules say you can't slam... I just don't understand why. I can't get all the way to my feet with someone hanging off me, but they can just continue hanging on the entire time without fear of any kind of consequence. I think it's silly. A slam isn't going to be any worse than some Judo throws, and much easier to counter simply by opening your guard.

I just think they don't allow it because it's too easy a counter. Too many wrestlers would slam the shit out of people, and people just don't like the idea of that. Wah!

I think they have visions of people getting powerbombed, but I agree with you point.

jiu jitsu is the gentle art. it wouldn't be in the spirit of jiu jitsu to use a violent technique - the aim is to convince your opponent to give up without anyone getting hurt. if you're going to allow slamming, then you should allow punching and kicking, and if you're slamming and punching and kicking then you're not doing bjj anymore. bjj can be very useful in a fight, but bjj is not a fight.

first of all, did you realize how old this thread was before you resurrected it? random, lol.

secondly, the reason slams are illegal in bjj is because slams are, by their nature, strikes and not grappling.

Explosive takedowns are allowed, even something that might be dangerous, like a suplex. The point is to get your opponent to the position you want him in. But a slam from the guard is not grappling. It is more akin to striking - the purpose of a throw/takedown is not to injure the guy, but to get him into a more favorable position. The point of a slam is to hurt the guy.

Back