Who tainted their legacy the worst

BJ he set a record that will never be broken in the UFC cus they will never give anyone 7 straight losses before cutting them lol
Anderson is on 8 (cmon He lost to brunson)

1. Penn was 32 when he started losing
2. Fedor was 33 when he started losing
3. Liddell was 37 when he started losing
4. Silva was 38 when he started losing
Anderson started losing back in PRIDE to the likes of Takase and Chonan. He was mid 20s when He started losing

None of the above.

Having a lousy 2nd half of a career does not diminish the first half of a career. IMO.

I may be an anomaly. But it needed to be said.
This. Ali had a horrible last part of his career, but does it fucking matter? No way.

Anderson
Chuck
or
BJ?
BJ easily.
Anderson and chuck never had problems outside MMA. Anderson may have hung around too long,but he didnt take alot of damage and made alot of money.
Chuck's end was similar to most fighters. He is just so beloved that it hurt more.

None of the above.

Having a lousy 2nd half of a career does not diminish the first half of a career. IMO.

I may be an anomaly. But it needed to be said.
I like that you expressed this point of view, and I respect that. I think the word "legacy", in the eyes of a lot of people including myself, somewhat implies a career as a whole, and different aspects of it.

Accomplishments can't be taken away, that's for sure. We both agree on that. But retiring in successful fashion is way more awe-inspiring than reaching massive success at one point and falling from grace significantly to a point where that slump lasts as much time as your glorious years.

I'm saying, the former half of BJ's career certainly does not erase the footage from his best fights, but it certainly feels like Da Vinci taking a shit on the Mona Lisa he spent years painting.

You're saying that every fight is a different painting, and making a bunch of shitty ones as an artist ages does not affect those masterpieces that a young aspiring prodigy managed to paint. And it's fair.

To me, it's just that fight IQ and proper career management are KEY aspects in a fighter's career, in my view, and definitely intertwined too. While BJ's legacy, and Chuck's and Silva's are all tremendous ones, the lasting impression that they left is this massive footage showing them looking like shadows of their former selves, which each of them did for a number of years, not just a few fights.

If Anderson was losing to people like Sam Alvey or something he'd be more in the running, he's just taking on tough competition waaay past his prime. Shoulda retired after the leg break

Anderson because he was considered the GOAT of MMA but his losses to Weidman, the drug test and his inability to do anything since that has pretty much wrecked his legacy.

BJ and Chuck were great fighters but they never reached the heights of Anderson

I like that you expressed this point of view, and I respect that. I think the word "legacy", in the eyes of a lot of people including myself, somewhat implies a career as a whole, and different aspects of it.

Accomplishments can't be taken away, that's for sure. We both agree on that. But retiring in successful fashion is way more awe-inspiring than reaching massive success at one point and falling from grace significantly to a point where that slump lasts as much time as your glorious years.

I'm saying, the former half of BJ's career certainly does not erase the footage from his best fights, but it certainly feels like Da Vinci taking a shit on the Mona Lisa he spent years painting.

You're saying that every fight is a different painting, and making a bunch of shitty ones as an artist ages does not affect those masterpieces that a young aspiring prodigy managed to paint. And it's fair.

To me, it's just that fight IQ and proper career management are KEY aspects in a fighter's career, in my view, and definitely intertwined too. While BJ's legacy, and Chuck's and Silva's are all tremendous ones, the lasting impression that they left is this massive footage showing them looking like shadows of their former selves, which each of them did for a number of years, not just a few fights.
Fair.

Also, it puts careers like Hendo’s into a whole new light. His longevity makes his legendary career exponentially legendary.

Anderson started losing back in PRIDE to the likes of Takase and Chonan. He was mid 20s when He started losing
you know what he meant. That was before his near 10 yr run.

While Chuck and BJ declined more, Anderson popped for PEDs.

Plus the clowning that got him ko'd, followed by a leg break in the rematch just smacks as epic fail for a one time great.

Plus the clowning that got him ko'd, followed by a leg break in the rematch just smacks as epic fail for a one time great.
Anderson should be ashamed somehow that his leg broke in a match?

Anderson should be ashamed somehow that his leg broke in a match?

nope but its crazy cringe worthy, esp. after most of us thought we'd avenge the clowing ko.

If you were around mma then, you know it was like a wtf happened to maybe a goat.

giphy.gif
That was a solid lead hook by the fat drunk no name.

Anderson
Chuck
or
BJ?

Chuck went down swinging against top fighters and even had a few moments here and there. He probably took the most damage and it is the saddest in that sense, but I don't feel like he looked like he couldn't fight, the recent Tito fight excepted. I don't even consider that as having happened, it was that ridiculous.

Anderson's fights were mostly boring and he didn't disgrace himself IMO. Still looked like he knew what he was doing, just too old.

BJ? BJ looked like absolute dog shit in nearly every moment of every fight he has had in the last 5 years. He had the bizzaro tippy toe thing going. Then he got tapped, when BJJ is his game, albeit to a great BJJ guy. But I think he smokes Hall on the feet a few years prior. Then he looks clueless against average talent in Siver and old Guida. To top it all off he gets knocked out clean in a drunken street fight to a fatty. So my vote goes to BJ.

Aside from how bad Paulo Costa ruined his legacy in that last fight, I’ll go with Chuck. He got KO’d by Tito.

Back