Who should ortega fight next?

I forgot who it was, but someone made a good point about it not being a good idea for Brian to fight a striker next. He has too many holes to close up on the feet, another similar beating could take years off his career. I like Ortega, and I'd like to see him continue to fight for a long time so I'll make my pick with this in mind.

My original thought was the Aldo x Moicano loser. Ortega deserves a highly ranked guy for an opportunity to solidify his spot in the rankings,that being said, both of these guys are great strikers. Aldo (as we're all well aware of) has KO power in every limb, accompanied by disgusting leg kicks, and solid kickboxing fundamentals. Moicano is more of a flow fighter, but he's shown very solid striking fundamentals as of late. Moicano and Ortega pushed each other to their limits at UFC 214,with Ortega eventually pulling a sub out of his butt after Moicano had gotten the better of him in most of their striking exchanges. Though I do feel Ortega deserves someone on this level, both of those fights are bad for his health imo.

Next up we have the wrestle boxers: Frankie Edgar and Alexander Volkanovski. Both of these guys would good match ups for Brian, since they're on the shorter side, and they're wrestlers. So Ortega will have more opportunities to lock up a sub since he rarely finishes TD's himself. Only thing is either one of these guys are being primed to fight Max, so I don't see either fight really happening. Unless they give Max Volk, and Frankie specifically asks for Ortega, as an opportunity to avenge his loss, I don't really see either match up happening.

Jeremy Stephens would have been a good match up rankings wise, but he's already matched up with Zabit, and the point was to keep Brian away from concussive power. Cub Swanson is there, but he's one of Brian's more recent victims, don't expect him to be jumping up and down for a rematch. Enter Mirsad Bektic. Mirsad is one of the up and coming wrestle boxers in the division. Not having fought since June, after recently falling out of a bout with Renato Moicano, Mirsad should be looking for an opponent in the first quarter of 2019. Who better for for a future title contender, than the #1 ranked guy in your division?

So yeah, TL;DR: All that to say Mirsad Bektic.

I like your reasoning but not the timing for the match.

Brian took ALOT of damage.

The last thing he should do is get in the ring anytime soon plus he's making a film. He needs to really plug a lot of holes in his game before he even gets back in the ring or he will wear out his chin before he even has a prime skill wise.

I mean how many fights worth of damage did he take in there? Three fights worth of damage? Four? Five?

That all needs to be factored into how many fights he has left in him. If he wastes those fights before catching up to where he needs to be skill wise then he will just have less fights in him in his prime which he hasn't reached yet.

I'm a huge Edgar fan, but we don't know if the 2018 short notice version of Edgar is better than Volkanvski. I actually think they might fight next. Also, MMA math doesn't work.

We do know that volkanovski hits like a truck: he dropped Elkins twice when guys like MJ and stephens couldn't drop him once and he finished Mendes. We also know that statistically ortega is one of the easiest guys to hit in the division.

I think they'll end up fighting next also but I wasn't using MMA math though, like "oh Ortega knocked out Frankie who knocked out Chad" I just meant he was able to catch the more elusive wrestler with better foot work in Frankie so Volkanvski knocking out Chad who is more stationary won't equate to him beating Ortega and the short notice is definitely moot since it was the same deal for Ortega. Me I just don't think a box/wrestle archetype fighter will beat Ortega like Chad/Frankie/Volkanovski.

I think they'll end up fighting next also but I wasn't using MMA math though, like "oh Ortega knocked out Frankie who knocked out Chad" I just meant he was able to catch the more elusive wrestler with better foot work in Frankie so Volkanvski knocking out Chad who is more stationary won't equate to him beating Ortega and the short notice is definitely moot since it was the same deal for Ortega. Me I just don't think a box/wrestle archetype fighter will beat Ortega like Chad/Frankie/Volkanovski.

You kind of were using MMA math, though, by implying that Frankie ≥ Volkanovski so therefore Ortega > Volkanovski. Personally, I think a wrestle boxer can crush Ortega and I think he was a little lucky against Edgar, who is the least powerful of all the wrestle boxers in that division. I'm not even convinced Ortega would be Edgar in a rematch.

Do you actually think Ortega's striking is better than Volkanovski's? because I believe that's what it will come down to. Also, Edgar isn't as illusive as you think—He always enters the pocket in a straight line and his rhythm almost never changes. Edgar's level changes, feints, and speed usually make up for his predictable rhythm.

Last edited:
You kind of were using MMA math, though by implying that Frankie is equal to or greater than Volkanovski xD. Personally I think a wrestle boxer can crush Ortega and I think he was a little lucky against Edgar, who is the least powerful of all the wrestle boxers in that division.

Him catching Edgar with an elbow doesn't automatically mean he can beat all wrestle boxers. Do you actually think ortega's striking is better than Volkanovski's? because I believe that's what it will come down to. Also, Edgar isn't as illusive as you think—He always enters the pocket in a straight line and his rhythm almost never changes.

I have to watch more of "fuck I hate typing his name" Volkanovsk,my opinion is skewed though since I've only seen the Chad fight of his and Chad was giving him the business hurting him standing before he lost himself,granted it was back and forth the whole fight but I have seen Ortega's striking improved leaps and bounds(maybe not so much defensively) but I refuse to have the Max fight make me think he loses to these other guys at fw since I think Max embarrasses everybody there atm.

I have to watch more of "fuck I hate typing his name" Volkanovsk,my opinion is skewed though since I've only seen the Chad fight of his and Chad was giving him the business hurting him standing before he lost himself,granted it was back and forth the whole fight but I have seen Ortega's striking improved leaps and bounds(maybe not so much defensively) but I refuse to have the Max fight make me think he loses to these other guys at fw since I think Max embarrasses everybody there atm.

We saw that fight with Mendes differently. what I saw was chad being competitive for sure, but other than his brief flash knockdown, volkanovski was dictating the majority of the fight with his pressure, cage cutting, jabs and kicks.

Volkanovski is probably the hardest puncher that Ortega will have faced, and ortega always eats punches. I just don't see ortega doing well against guys with power who can stop his takedowns.

Anyways, I still think Bektic or lamas are better fights for Ortega right now.

Last edited:
Back