Who should Gunnar Nelson fight?

vkram

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Nelson understandably wants to be on the Dublin card, I also think he said he wants to be on the 194 card.

Maia was willing to fight him in Dublin but got a staph infection and I think Wonderboy turned it down. Who should he fight now?

I think the UFC will give him a favourable fight in Dublin to keep him busy in order to set up a fight with Maia in December (how long is the recovery from staph infection?).

Could he fight the winner of Silva/Magny? Maybe Ellenberger? Any other ideas?

The last guy he beat was thatch who was ranked like 70th. I have no idea how that puts Gunnar on the cusp of the top ten. Plus he just lost very decisively to story. I say give him someone like Larkin or Masvidal if he wants a fight soon. Those are probably the highest ranked guys who will be ready so soon. If he gets someone in the top ten I'd like to see how he'd fair against DHK, I'd even like to see him against Rory sometime. My prefered matchup would be Gunnar vs. Benson, but that's not happening.

If he waits till the 194 card then he has more options.

Last edited:
Gastellum

I'd like that, except Gastellum is booked to fight matt brown.

If he fights on the dublin card I think it will be against someone like Masvidal, Larkin, Laflare, or even Ben saunders. Oh, and none of those are easy matches for him.

The UFC WW ranking for reference:

Champion : Robbie Lawler
1 Johny Hendricks
2 Rory MacDonald
3 Tyron Woodley
4 Carlos Condit
5 Matt Brown
6 Demian Maia
7 Dong Hyun Kim
8 Tarec Saffiedine
9 Stephen Thompson
10 Rick Story
11 Gunnar Nelson
12 Jake Ellenberger
13 Thiago Alves
14 Kelvin Gastelum *NR
15 Neil Magny

As I personally like Nelson and want him to gain popularity and advance through the rankings I want him to fight someone who is overrated and popular. I'd also really like him to fight Story again, because that's his sole loss. On the other hand rematches also are boring and the first fight wasn't really fireworks or anything like that so it also might be hard to promote. Thompson is kind of popular at the moment I guess with his recent performances. I don't want to see Thompson lose, though. Thiago Alves is a big name too, but below Gunnar in the rankings. Thiago also causes for interesting fights most of the time.

Last edited:
Stun gun!

I'd love that match-up, but I'm certain they're saving Stun gun for the korea card. I really think that Masvidal or Larkin is the best possible outcome for the Dublin card. Depending on his injury, Story might be good to go for the Dublin card, but it's too soon for a rematch.

I'm hoping we hear news on this soon. UFC dublin really isn't far away. I wonder if they're hoping that the winner of Magny vs. Silva can pull a quick turn around.

The last guy he beat was thatch who was ranked like 70th. I have no idea how that puts Gunnar on the cusp of the top ten. Plus he just lost very decisively to story. I say give him someone like Larkin or Masvidal if he wants a fight soon. Those are probably the highest ranked guys who will be ready so soon. If he gets someone in the top ten I'd like to see how he'd fair against DHK, I'd even like to see him against Rory sometime. My prefered matchup would be Gunnar vs. Benson, but that's not happening.

If he waits till the 194 card then he has more options.

decisively????

Ryan LaFlare, his grappling ability is pretty underrated too.
giphy.gif

Ryan-LaFLare-gif-1.gif

Back