International WHO Official Says “They May have To Enter Homes To Remove Family Members”

Governments are not known for being democratic when they want the public to follow directives. Government uses coercision and failing that force to get people to comply.
True, in some cases, but we’re not talking about people out in public, and even if they pass a law that makes it illegal to be sick at home (that will of course never happen) nobody is going to a) force you to open your door, or b) force you to take a test if you do open your door, and then c) force you to leave your house if you test positive. Though you definitely should want to do that, unless your family also tests positive or you just don’t really like your family. Certainly you’d all be quarantined otherwise, as you should be. But at that point you agreed to be tested so understood that going in. The guy is advising trying to get more tests to more people and better ways to quarantine. Each country can do with that information what they will. America isn’t going to start busting down private citizen’s doors, man.

But where in the article is that stated or even implied?
Are you for real now or is being obviously obtuse your new gig. Saying we may have to remove people isn’t a veiled phrase for anything but exactly what I said . You wanna go with them go ahead.

Are you for real now or is being obviously obtuse your new gig. Saying we may have to remove people isn’t a veiled phrase for anything but exactly what I said . You wanna go with them go ahead.
At no point does he say it should be done against anyone's will or that it should be done by force. Perhaps that is what he meant but I don't see why I should assume that when he could easily be imagining that people would voluntarily remove themselves for the sake of their families and that this would be facilitated by healthcare workers providing tests and the quarantine spaces. If you actually read the article he makes reference to medical professionals going door to door, not police or SWAT teams. Do you think he expects that nurses and medical assistants are going to drag people from their homes against their will?

True, in some cases, but we’re not talking about people out in public, and even if they pass a law that makes it illegal to be sick at home (that will of course never happen) nobody is going to a) force you to open your door, or b) force you to take a test if you do open your door, and then c) force you to leave your house if you test positive. Though you definitely should want to do that, unless your family also tests positive or you just don’t really like your family. Certainly you’d all be quarantined otherwise, as you should be. But at that point you agreed to be tested so understood that going in. The guy is advising trying to get more tests to more people and better ways to quarantine. Each country can do with that information what they will. America isn’t going to start busting down private citizen’s doors, man.
“Now, we need to go and look in families to find those people who may be sick and remove them and isolate them in a safe and dignified manner,” the official continued.

"remove them and isolate them" .
That sure sounds like he wants the State to use force, since he is talking about the authorities removing and isolating people. There is nothing in that sentence to suggest this would be a voluntary order or suggestion.

“Now, we need to go and look in families to find those people who may be sick and remove them and isolate them in a safe and dignified manner,” the official continued.

That sure sounds like he wants the State to use force, since he is talking about the authorities removing and isolating people. There is nothing in that sentence to suggest this would be a voluntary order or suggestion.

Praising efforts in Singapore, Dr. Micheal Ryan, Executive Director of the WHO Health Emergencies Program, suggested there be medical professionals going door to door to find those likely infected, and “remove” them from the home for “dignified” isolation.

“In most parts of the world, due to lockdown, most of the transmission that’s actually happening in many countries now is happening in the household, at family level,” acknowledged Dr. Ryan on March 30. “In some senses, transmission has been taken off the streets and pushed back into family units.”

He's a doctor and he's suggesting medical professional go door to door, not SWAT teams. I think he's expecting that people voluntarily comply since its presumably in their best interest. Maybe he does intend for force to be used but I don't think that's obvious.

At no point does he say it should be done against anyone's will or that it should be done by force. Perhaps that is what he meant but I don't see why I should assume that when he could easily be imagining that people would voluntarily remove themselves for the sake of their families and that this would be facilitated by healthcare workers providing tests and the quarantine spaces. If you actually read the article he makes reference to medical professionals going door to door, not police or SWAT teams. Do you think he expects that nurses and medical assistants are going to drag people from their homes against their will?

You're being obtuse bro. And this is not the time to be obtuse. The reason the guy added the caveat "in a safe and dignified manner" is because hes talking about force. If all were talking about is offering people the option to get tested and/or quarantined at their own discretion there would be no mention of "safe and dignified".

You're being obtuse bro. And this is not the time to be obtuse. The reason the guy added the caveat "in a safe and dignified manner" is because hes talking about force. If all were talking about is offering people the option to get tested and/or quarantined at their own discretion there would be no mention of "safe and dignified".
That's one way to look at it but I don't that's necessarily what he meant. Trying to enact mass testing and quarantines, even if done only voluntarily, still has a lot of potential for things to go wrong and lead to unsafe and undignified procedures, especially in larger countries where enacting government programs at such a scale can more easily go wrong.

The fact that he's a medical professional and is calling for medical professionals to carry out this task is what suggests to me that its not necessarily involuntary. Doctors and healthcare workers are used to people listening to their orders voluntarily because people generally understand that they know what they're doing and have our interests at heart.

To be fair even if that is what he meant its still not necessarily a good idea. Trying to quarantine people at a national sort of scale could easily go wrong in numerous ways even if done voluntarily like I mentioned before and sometimes STEM types like doctors and engineers underestimate how the human element can interfere with carefully laid technocratic plans like this one.

He's a doctor and he's suggesting medical professional go door to door, not SWAT teams. I think he's expecting that people voluntarily comply since its presumably in their best interest. Maybe he does intend for force to be used but I don't think that's obvious.

Medical professionals can be accompanied by police / soldiers, like in China. Take the example of child welfare workers, sometimes they are accompanied by police . Medical professionals can inform police when they notice injuries on a child they believe was intentionally caused.

So medical professionals going door-to-door does not negate the possibility of police accompanying them neither or informing the police of a household that is not complying with the 'suggestion' to give up a family member who is possibly infected. Medical professionals can use presense of minors in the house to say that the non complying adults are endangering the lives of the minors, so this gives police the right to remove possible infected persons.

Medical professionals can be accompanied by police / soldiers, like in China. Take the example of child welfare workers, sometimes they are accompanied by police . Medical professionals can inform police when they notice injuries on a child they believe was intentionally caused.

So medical professionals going door-to-door does not negate the possibility of police accompanying them neither or informing the police of a household that is not complying with the 'suggestion' to give up a family member who is possibly infected. Medical professionals can use presense of minors in the house to say that the non complying adults are endangering the lives of the minors, so this gives police the right to remove possible infected persons.
Sure and as I said earlier its possible that he intends for this to be applied with force but I don't think that's a given based off what he said. Like I said earlier doctors are used to people listening to their orders voluntarily since most of us trust their knowledge and intentions. Posters just automatically assumed its going to be a door to door round up though and I think that's a case of jumping to conclusions.

Ok now you’re just embarrassing yourself..

Exactly

Lol "dignified isolation". Sounds very Germany 1939 but okayyyy. Just like the "educational camps" in China

Lol "dignified isolation". Sounds very Germany 1939 but okayyyy. Just like the "educational camps" in China
We're basically turning into China. Forced quarantines, martial law, no right to work, no right to freely assemble, curfews, etc. We're in the process of turning into China, and we have people cheering it. May God help us all.

"How many soldiers does the WHO have?"

Just before that he described a door to door health care worker outreach . Letting someone in your house and getting tested would only happen with consent in America. Presumably you’d consent to “being removed” when you consent to the test. He’s speaking to every country in the world, though, so take it how you want depending your country’s level of dictatorship, I guess.

I do now agree Trump should speak up and squash this hysterical reaction people are apparently having, though.

Sure and as I said earlier its possible that he intends for this to be applied with force but I don't think that's a given based off what he said. Like I said earlier doctors are used to people listening to their orders voluntarily since most of us trust their knowledge and intentions. Posters just automatically assumed its going to be a door to door round up though and I think that's a case of jumping to conclusions.

The TS has used a false quotation in the title of the thread (the WHO entering homes) which seems to have shaped the general tone of the responses. The WHO doctor talked of "Public health practitioneirs, doctors, nurses , community workers, working with communities to detect cases at community level". He cites the Singaporean experience where health care workers "visited" homes and checked on how people were doing and asked whether they had any symptoms; he doesnt even say the word "enter" in his answer. There is no hint of aggression of urgent use of force in his answer.

The publisher of the article should also give cause to listen to the source material. The doctor discusses removing people in 'a safe and diginified manner' not removing people for 'dignified isolation', which obviously has completely different connotations. The juxtaposition of a criticism of China and alleged WHO failings with reagrd to China to the end of the article, when the doctor is specifically discussing the Singaporean approach in his answer, and doesnt mention China, is a clear indication of a dishonest intention to imply measures beyond the words spoken.

Ok now you’re just embarrassing yourself..
Look man, not trying to be obtuse here. Its certainly possible that he means this policy to be done with force but I don't think that's necessarily what he meant. But note I also said that even if its voluntary it could still be a bad idea. Look at Hurricane shelters, they easily turn into shit shows and those are voluntary. Voluntary, door to door quarantines could still easily go off the rails. My point here is most posters just assumed a certain interpretation to justify going full boogaloo.

Look man, not trying to be obtuse here. Its certainly possible that he means this policy to be done with force but I don't think that's necessarily what he meant. But note I also said that even if its voluntary it could still be a bad idea. Look at Hurricane shelters, they easily turn into shit shows and those are voluntary. Voluntary, door to door quarantines could still easily go off the rails. My point here is most posters just assumed a certain interpretation to justify going full boogaloo.
I will be telling any people attempting this where to go. Where it goes from there depends on them.

I will be telling any people attempting this where to go. Where it goes from there depends on them.
Do what you like, not like I'd want to be quarantined by the state myself, but some people might appreciate the idea if they have elderly relatives living with them who might be vulnerable to the virus.

Do what you like, not like I'd want to be quarantined by the state myself, but some people might appreciate the idea if they have elderly relatives living with them who might be vulnerable to the virus.
If you need the government telling you how to protect grandma it’s probably too late ...

Back