Who of those guys would beat Canelo?

<{nope}>

I don't see it. Canelo would out work him, win on aggression.

huh? work rate is one of the weakest aspects of canelo's game, unlike hopkins. He clowns Canelo, too big and too much movement. Would look like the pavlik fight.

If Hearns stays on the outside, he'll outwork Canelo and Canelo would think twice about lunging in against a puncher like Hearns. If he tries to jump Canelo, he'll get clubbered.
Hagler gives him hell but it's not a bad fight for Canelo. Canelo is fantastic in the pocket though I doubt he would deter Hagler which would be a problem when it goes deep and becomes a war of attrition.
Leonard outworks him and shoeshines his way to a victory.
McCallum is a close one. What a great stylistic fight that would be. Favor McCallum but not by much.
McClellan was such a monster but Canelo has the tools needed to deal with him. Though I'd want to see how his power comes a long at 160, I think he has enough pop to make McClellan pay for his wild assaults. Canelo's counterpunching and defense would make it great fight. 55/45 Canelo.
Jones does what he wants.
Hopkins is a bad match for Canelo. There was a time when there were more to Hopkins than mat-flopping and headbutts and he was a bad man at 160 then. Slight favor for Hopkins.

Leonard and Jones have easy nights. Hearns could have an easy night if he stays on his bike but I don't think he'd be able to do it all night. Too much fight in him. Every other fighter has a hard time with Canelo, even if I'd favor them to win.

I've said my piece on Jacobs against Canelo but that's the fight to make now, without a doubt.

Hi,

I was wondering how Canelo would perform against some of the top fighter in the middleweight division, when in their prime:

PS: i am not a Canelo Fan

Nice thread, but some category errors being made in here. All these fights would require Canelo to weigh in on the day of the fight at 160 (with the possible exception of McLellan, who'd fucking kill him anyway).

So if we're talking that Canelo—of, what, the Matthew Hatton fight? Before that?—I don't think he'd be troubling many ATG middleweights, frankly. He might catch the odd one cold & I don't think too many other than Jackson or McLellian are knocking him out, but he isn't beating Hagler, Hearns, Monzon, Hearns, McCallum, Toney et al. No fuckin' way.

The "middleweight" Canelo, rehydrating to fuck-knows-what, obviously is a different animal. But that Canelo would never have met those guys in the ring.

I know I go on about this every time fantasy modern vs historical matchups are mentioned, but it's too fucking glaring not to point out & people act like it's not a thing, which is just fucking insane to me. Shaun Porter is the same height & outweighs (by fight-time) Gene Fulmer. Would Porter beat Fulmer? Fuck no. Would Porter maybe kill Carmen Basilio? Of course he would, he's twice the fucking size.

huh? work rate is one of the weakest aspects of canelo's game, unlike hopkins. He clowns Canelo, too big and too much movement. Would look like the pavlik fight.
Yeah, and Hopkins was a punching machine, let me rethink this.

Pavlik? If you asked me to think of a Hopkins opponent unlike Canelo as possible, he'd be in the top 3.

You said that none of them could beat him because the judges wouldn't ever score the fight for them. "Dramatic" describes that perfectly, especially when he has never clearly lost a fight only to be saved by the judges (and, you know, he has lost a fight on the cards). He clearly gets preferential judging, but to make this only thing to be considered in a thread like this is beyond ridiculous.

Then I was wrong if I said none of them could beat him. I said he is so good to make a lot of the rounds close and he gets every close round so having a conversation around who could win becomes less feasible because every swing round goes his way. He is fighting some ATG's and he is on his way to that position, but I would rather put money on him than the others because he gets so many close rounds. I am a big fan of his ability but I can objectively say that swing rounds are his rounds. I am not wrong in saying that. Nor did I intend to convey that preferential judging is the only reason. In an effort to rectify this, I have again included my appreciation for the talent that helped get him this far.

For the above reasons I think he would beat most of them.

And "dramatic" doesn't describe it. There isn't some bawdy display of emotions here. If anything I am being quite aloof and aware that even I fighter I like can get some landslides that maybe should have been a lot tighter on the cards, and some close ones that maybe shouldn't have gone his way. But the maybe decisions happen all the time for him. Not once against him. Damn peculiar. Is that incorrect? Your reaction is perhaps more subjective than you'll be willing to admit. I am at least saying perhaps, and not pointing fingers because if I am mistaken on that last observation that's fine with me.

Sergio Martinez, Pavlik, Taylor all in their prime would’ve been fun to watch vs current Opie.

He’s come a very long way from the kid that tried to outbox Floyd.

He’s much better now than I thought he would be.

That said, if those 3 in their primes...
I’m going with Martinez on points... and pavlik I could go either way.

I do favor him over prime Taylor though.
(Which might be a bad call, it’s an interesting matchup).

The discussion here seems to be pretty balanced and fair.
I think that Canelo also beats Eubank, Eubank always hated body shots, Canelo would give him hell.
James Toney would beat him, he's just a better counter puncher and I don't think that Canelo has what it takes to beat him.
I rather controversial pick, Sumbu Kalambay would IMO beat Canelo, the guy beat prime McCallum with his speed and Canelo had problems with Amir Khan early on, I think that Kalambay could beat him.
I think that BHop would find a way to beat him in a pretty ugly fight.

Then I was wrong if I said none of them could beat him. I said he is so good to make a lot of the rounds close and he gets every close round so having a conversation around who could win becomes less feasible because every swing round goes his way. He is fighting some ATG's and he is on his way to that position, but I would rather put money on him than the others because he gets so many close rounds. I am a big fan of his ability but I can objectively say that swing rounds are his rounds. I am not wrong in saying that. Nor did I intend to convey that preferential judging is the only reason. In an effort to rectify this, I have again included my appreciation for the talent that helped get him this far.

For the above reasons I think he would beat most of them.

And "dramatic" doesn't describe it. There isn't some bawdy display of emotions here. If anything I am being quite aloof and aware that even I fighter I like can get some landslides that maybe should have been a lot tighter on the cards, and some close ones that maybe shouldn't have gone his way. But the maybe decisions happen all the time for him. Not once against him. Damn peculiar. Is that incorrect? Your reaction is perhaps more subjective than you'll be willing to admit. I am at least saying perhaps, and not pointing fingers because if I am mistaken on that last observation that's fine with me.

Alright. The point of the thread was clearly to discuss how he matches up with other good fighters around his weight from the past. No one is interested in hearing complaints about the scoring of the Golovkin fights for the 1000th time. That's what I was trying to convey.

Jackson gets countered and KOed.
Norris is a tossup. He can get the UD via superior output, but he can also get tagged for good.
The McCallum fight is tons of fun. I think Canelo gets tired by the bodywork and outworked late all the way to a UD loss.
Can't really rule out a McClellan KO win. Otherwise I think he gets the JD as Canelo struggles with the height and reach.
Canelo vs Hagler is down to the judges own preferences. I think peak Marvin gets the JD over 15 rounds, and it's a tossup over 12.
Pre-Pettaway Simon Brown gets vastly outpointed, post-Pettway gets KOed.
Chavez has no business fighting at 160.
Hearns potshots Canelo to a clear UD as long as he doesn't get sucked into a brawl.
Prime Jones wins, that's what he does.
MW Leonard runs circles around Canelo and gets the decision.

Good post

I think Hagler wins a decision no matter if it is 12 or 15.

I think canelo beats them all with the exception of sugar ray. Ray edges canelo in a decision. Canelo would chase ray the entire fight and lose.

Back