Who of those guys would beat Canelo?

Hearns and Haglar are my 2 favourite (non british) boxers so Im certainly not under rating them. I probably would favour haglar just over canelo, but personally I still see hearns/haglar as close to pickem fights. I actually think people under rating Canelo.
Dislike for Canelo has made a lot of people blind to how good he actually is. Its pretty crazy.

Leonard/Hearns 1 was welter in Leonard's prime. The OP asks about 160 Leonard where he had a razor close fight with a past his best Hagler and go wrecked by Camacho.
Oh come on, we all know Ray should have called it a day after losing to Norris, his fight vs Camacho six years later is irrelevant.

Oh come on, we all know Ray should have called it a day after losing to Norris, his fight vs Camacho six years later is irrelevant.

He actually called it :D, only he changed his mind later...again!...

Canelo SRL would be like Mayweather Canelo. total domination n Canelo made to look like a fool only SRL might ko Canelo later rds

Hagler was in wars with guys Canelo would beat. I'm not sure why so many think he gets wrecked by Hagler.
Well, you brought up the Duran fight which I think is a good example of what would happen if Hagler met Canelo. Hagler proved to be too big and strong for a very tough Duran and he worked him on the inside with lots of body shots. Canelo could counter off the body shots but I don't think his punches would have any effect on Hagler much like Duran's punches had no effect on Hagler either. Hagler had a prestigious work rate in that fight and kept the pressure on Duran. Because Canelo doesn't have that big a work rate and he's slow on his feet I see Hagler getting too him with the bodywork. Duran had a much-underrated defence but I think Canelo is slightly better than him with the head movement but that wouldn't stop the body blows landing. Haglers stamina would be too much over 12 rounds for Canelo who doesn't have great stamina himself. A fairly comfortable points decision for Hagler.

Well, you brought up the Duran fight which I think is a good example of what would happen if Hagler met Canelo. Hagler proved to be too big and strong for a very tough Duran and he worked him on the inside with lots of body shots. Canelo could counter off the body shots but I don't think his punches would have any effect on Hagler much like Duran's punches had no effect on Hagler either. Hagler had a prestigious work rate in that fight and kept the pressure on Duran. Because Canelo doesn't have that big a work rate and he's slow on his feet I see Hagler getting too him with the bodywork. Duran had a much-underrated defence but I think Canelo is slightly better than him with the head movement but that wouldn't stop the body blows landing. Haglers stamina would be too much over 12 rounds for Canelo who doesn't have great stamina himself. A fairly comfortable points decision for Hagler.
Hagler was too strong and tough for Duran because he was a career MW where Duran spent most of his career at 135. Canelo is a good sized MW. Golovkin is a bigger man than Hagler and there never appeared to be a massive strength discrepancy in that fight.

Hagler was too strong and tough for Duran because he was a career MW where Duran spent most of his career at 135. Canelo is a good sized MW. Golovkin is a bigger man than Hagler and there never appeared to be a massive strength discrepancy in that fight.
Canelo is bigger than Duran but Hagler would still have decent size advantage. Just the reach alone which is 4 1/2" extra for Hagler. Style-wise Hagler is all wrong for him. Canelo likes backing up onto the ropes, that would be a disastrous strategy against Hagler who loves to work the body. Canelos head movement wouldn't help him there.

Dislike for Canelo has made a lot of people blind to how good he actually is. Its pretty crazy.
He's the real deal. His prime may be quick but he's in it now and he's got it all.

not strong enough, imo, would get caught, or maybe dominated like Chavez Jr
I don't know man, Camacho had a sweet slickster style but he was startching guys plenty with KOs.

Canelo is a pretty average sized MW, especially now that he has dropped mass. Hagler was a smallish MW, but that wouldn't matter. Hagler would be better from range with his jab and significant reach advantage, better on the inside, and he would have drastically superior cardio. If an old Golovkin fought Canelo to a drawish fight, I don't see how people think he's going to beat a prime Marvin Hagler (who would appear to be superior to Golovkin in essentially every way).

Canelo is a pretty average sized MW, especially now that he has dropped mass. Hagler was a smallish MW, but that wouldn't matter. Hagler would be better from range with his jab and significant reach advantage, better on the inside, and he would have drastically superior cardio. If an old Golovkin fought Canelo to a drawish fight, I don't see how people think he's going to beat a prime Marvin Hagler (who would appear to be superior to Golovkin in essentially every way).
And if Bobby "Boogaloo" Watts can go life and death with prime Hagler, so can Canelo. Hagler was in tough with some pretty basic guys.

And if Bobby "Boogaloo" Watts can go life and death with prime Hagler, so can Canelo. Hagler was in tough with some pretty basic guys.

I know you know a 21 year old Hagler wasn't in his prime.

So who is Canelo's best win at middleweight, at the middleweight limit of 160?

Canelo SRL would be like Mayweather Canelo. total domination n Canelo made to look like a fool only SRL might ko Canelo later rds
Nah, not at 160. SRL at 147 was a phenom and among the best ever at that weight. Not so at 160.

I think It’s a common theme amongst boxing fans, we sometimes let our emotions cloud our judgement. Probably say the same for mma fans as well. And I think as well as under rating him, we also tend to look at past greats through rose tinted glasses.
There are definately guys in that list that beat him but no one gets an easy fight

MW is 155-160, so Cotto.
making the fight catchweight at 155 is garbage(though, this was in Cotto's favor since he was the smaller fighter) and Cotto didn't even make the middleweight minimum limit at weigh ins. The title shouldn't have been on the line and it should have been a Jr Middleweight bout based on weigh in results.

Last edited:
I think It’s a common theme amongst boxing fans, we sometimes let our emotions cloud our judgement. Probably say the same for mma fans as well. And I think as well as under rating him, we also tend to look at past greats through rose tinted glasses.
There are definately guys in that list that beat him but no one gets an easy fight

the reason why some people don't love Canelo is that it is a fact that he is lucky bastard, having been born with a natural super power, super chin, super fast reflexes and excellent stamina (he knocked some guys out in round 11 and 12). But when it comes to judge him as a boxer, he has been outclassed by Maywrather and by Lara, and some other fighter performed better then him at the early rounds of some fight.

Definitely an amazing competitor, but not as legendary as some of the fighters mentioned in this topic.

making the fight catchweight at 155 is garbage(though, this was in Cotto's favor since he was the smaller fighter) and Cotto didn't even make the middleweight minimum limit at weigh ins. The title shouldn't have been on the line and it should have been a Jr Middleweight bout based on weigh in results.
Cotto was the MW champion and came in at the weight he was comfortable. Canelo weighed in as a MW at 155. It was a sanctioned MW bout.

Cotto was the MW champion and came in at the weight he was comfortable. Canelo weighed in as a MW at 155. It was a sanctioned MW bout.
what is the point in weight limits at all? We are gonna care if someone comes in over the max but not under the minimum? And I do realize this has been done many times. I know that Roy Jones Jr didn't meet the heavyweight minimum against John Ruiz either.

My point it, Canelo has only had 1 fight at the real middleweight limit and he didn't win. He shouldn't be favored against anyone on the list asked. Not when he's blatantly ducked the division until he had to or risk his reputation to the point it wouldn't have been able to recover.

Back