Who of those guys would beat Canelo?

Castello

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering how Canelo would perform against some of the top fighter in the middleweight division, when in their prime:

in my opinion:

JULIAN JACKSON : bad chin, I think he would get caught on a counterpunch and lose by KO
TERRY NORRIS : not strong enough, would lose by UD
MIKE McCALUM : Draw or split decision either way
GERARD McCLELLAN : could win by SD or UD
MARVIN HAGLER : would win by UD
SUGAR RAY LEONARD : at middleweight he would lose by KO
SIMON BROWN : loses by SD or UD
CESAR CHAVES : would lose at Middleweight
THOMAS HEARNS : bad chin, would eventualy get caught and lose by KO
ROY JONES : wins by UD

PS: i am not a Canelo Fan

I know all of JJ’s losses were by ko, but why does everyone keep saying he had a bad chin?

He got Ko’d by McClellan twice who IMO was a bigger puncher than Jackson and McCallum, getting stopped by them shouldnt equate to having a bad chin, his other losses came when he shouldnt have been fighting

BTW Sugar Ray losses by ko to Canelo??

You know he’s never been stopped in his prime right?

Jackson gets countered and KOed.
Norris is a tossup. He can get the UD via superior output, but he can also get tagged for good.
The McCallum fight is tons of fun. I think Canelo gets tired by the bodywork and outworked late all the way to a UD loss.
Can't really rule out a McClellan KO win. Otherwise I think he gets the JD as Canelo struggles with the height and reach.
Canelo vs Hagler is down to the judges own preferences. I think peak Marvin gets the JD over 15 rounds, and it's a tossup over 12.
Pre-Pettaway Simon Brown gets vastly outpointed, post-Pettway gets KOed.
Chavez has no business fighting at 160.
Hearns potshots Canelo to a clear UD as long as he doesn't get sucked into a brawl.
Prime Jones wins, that's what he does.
MW Leonard runs circles around Canelo and gets the decision.

i think jones puts a beating on him and leonard gives him a boxing lesson.

You can add current Danny Jacobs to that list and I think Jacobs would beat him by decision.

Add Billy Joe aswell. I'll get stick for it but fuck clenelo.

He might be a massive cunt but I reckon BJS does him.

Jackson gets countered and KOed.
Norris is a tossup. He can get the UD via superior output, but he can also get tagged for good.
The McCallum fight is tons of fun. I think Canelo gets tired by the bodywork and outworked late all the way to a UD loss.
Can't really rule out a McClellan KO win. Otherwise I think he gets the JD as Canelo struggles with the height and reach.
Canelo vs Hagler is down to the judges own preferences. I think peak Marvin gets the JD over 15 rounds, and it's a tossup over 12.
Pre-Pettaway Simon Brown gets vastly outpointed, post-Pettway gets KOed.
Chavez has no business fighting at 160.
Hearns potshots Canelo to a clear UD as long as he doesn't get sucked into a brawl.
Prime Jones wins, that's what he does.
MW Leonard runs circles around Canelo and gets the decision.
Well, I guess you're playing it down because of your username but Hagler beats the piss out of him.

Take Canelo over everyone but Hagler/Jones/Leonard

I know all of JJ’s losses were by ko, but why does everyone keep saying he had a bad chin?

He got Ko’d by McClellan twice who IMO was a bigger puncher than Jackson and McCallum, getting stopped by them shouldnt equate to having a bad chin, his other losses came when he shouldnt have been fighting

his chin was rarely tested but it was visible that when it happened he wasn't a taker like he was a hitter. My point is that to beat Canelo you gotta be ready to give and take!

BTW Sugar Ray losses by ko to Canelo??

You know he’s never been stopped in his prime right?

when at middleweight Sugar was slower, and I don't think he would hold the pressure and the power of Canelo, we saw him struggle in some fights at that division

Hagler lol
Leonard lol
Jones lol
Hearns lol
Most of the others wouldn't be at their optimum weight but would all be interesting fights vs Canelo. G-Man more than likely knocks him cold.

I'd favour Canelo to outbox Jackson in a close fight.

I think Norris could run up a lead on the scorecards, but I could also see Canelo timing him with some big counters. Interesting fight, where I might narrowly favour Canelo.

McClellan could always be hit, but he was an overwhelming offensive fighter. I still have a bit of trouble rating McClellan properly. He'd be quite a bit bigger than Canelo, but McClellan was never stellar defensively. I'd probably favour McClellan, but Canelo strikes me as a very difficult guy to stop.

I'd clearly favour Hagler. Hagler would have the better jab, and he had every bit the workrate that Golovkin brought to table along with being more versatile and sophisticated offenisvely. Clear decision win for Hagler.

Leonard is a very bad matchup for Canelo. Clear decision win for Leonard.

I think a prime Brown would actually be a very close fight. Slight edge to Canelo, maybe.

Chavez doesn't belong anywhere above WW.

Hearns would either outbox Canelo to a clear decision win, or get caught with a big counter and likely stopped. Interesting fight where I'd favour Hearns to win.

Jones is another terrible matchup for Canelo.

Hi,

I was wondering how Canelo would perform against some of the top fighter in the middleweight division, when in their prime:

in my opinion:

JULIAN JACKSON : bad chin, I think he would get caught on a counterpunch and lose by KO
TERRY NORRIS : not strong enough, would lose by UD
MIKE McCALUM : Draw or split decision either way
GERARD McCLELLAN : could win by SD or UD
MARVIN HAGLER : would win by UD
SUGAR RAY LEONARD : at middleweight he would lose by KO
SIMON BROWN : loses by SD or UD
CESAR CHAVES : would lose at Middleweight
THOMAS HEARNS : bad chin, would eventualy get caught and lose by KO
ROY JONES : wins by UD

PS: i am not a Canelo Fan

Id pick McCalum, Mclellan, Jones, SRL to beat him. I think it would be a pickem against Hearns, Haglar, and Id heavily favour Canelo against the rest

Last edited:
You can add current Danny Jacobs to that list and I think Jacobs would beat him by decision.

That's a great fight. 50/50 imo. Would prefer to see that than the GGG rematch in all honesty

Id pick McCalum, Mclellan, Jones, SRL to beat him. I think it would be a pickem against Hearns, Haglar, and Id heavily favour Canelo against the rest
I recently rewatched SRL/Hearns 1, that fight had everything, both changing their styles to adapt to the ebb and flow of the bout. I suggest people rewatch these great fights to remind themselves just how special some fighters were. Both guys skillsets far surpass Canelo. And the amount picking Canelo against Hagler baffles me?

I recently rewatched SRL/Hearns 1, that fight had everything, both changing their styles to adapt to the ebb and flow of the bout. I suggest people rewatch these great fights to remind themselves just how special some fighters were. Both guys skillsets far surpass Canelo. And the amount picking Canelo against Hagler baffles me?
Yeah me too. No way Canelo beats Hagler. Canelo doesn't have enough pop to deter Hagler.

Back