Who is your all time GOAT & where do u think JBJ stands in comparison

Anderson > Jones > Fedor > GSP

And if Jones beats Gus convincingly, I'm willing to put Jones at the #1 spot. And if he beats Cain, then there is no longer any argument he's GOAT, and it wouldn't even be close at that point.

Maybe he can start fighting top 10 fighters and get stopped 3 times in a row, 2 in the first round - would that help as well?

(Well at least he's got the 'fighting top 10ers' down)

Maybe Jones will towards the end of his career when he's in he's 33+ etc and more war torn..

Still wont tarnish his legacy during his prime

Maybe Jones will towards the end of his career when he's in he's 33+ etc and more war torn..

Still wont tarnish his legacy during his prime

If the current rate continues, by the time he's 33 he would have fought 4 times as many top level fighters that Fedor fought.

Maybe he can start fighting top 10 fighters and get stopped 3 times in a row, 2 in the first round - would that help as well?

(Well at least he's got the 'fighting top 10ers' down)

Well at the end of his career when this DOES happen. ..you can get back to us

If the current rate continues, by the time he's 33 he would have fought 4 times as many top level fighters that Fedor fought.

Fedor is smaller than jones and fought in a higher weight class. Just because Fedors opponents didn't have the ufc marketing behind them, doesn't mean they were just some random off the street

Fedor is smaller than jones and fought in a higher weight class. Just because Fedors opponents didn't have the ufc marketing behind them, doesn't mean they were just some random off the street

By smaller to you mean shorter? Its the ol' height classes again?

Btw Dana marketing with a 100 billion dollar budget would not be able to transform Zulu, HMC, Rodgers and Lindland (a normal sized MW) into a viable matchup. Who were the best guys that Fedor fought? Nog and CC - both pretty one-dimensional and by today's standards, not that much quality to even that dimension.

Its pretty easy to remain undefeated for 9 years when you fight 4 or 5 legit guys during that run. Jones has already fought about 10 in his career.

I have Fedor as GOAT

Jones and Silva @ 2 so I guess Jones will surpass Silva with a defense over, preferably Rumble. If more legit challengers rise then he'll definitely be P4P GOAT but never overall GOAT until he dominates HW.

By smaller to you mean shorter? Its the ol' height classes again?

Btw Dana marketing with a 100 billion dollar budget would not be able to transform Zulu, HMC, Rodgers and Lindland (a normal sized MW) into a viable matchup. Who were the best guys that Fedor fought? Nog and CC - both pretty one-dimensional and by today's standards, not that much quality to even that dimension.

Its pretty easy to remain undefeated for 9 years when you fight 4 or 5 legit guys during that run. Jones has already fought about 10 in his career.

Well they gave Vitor and Chael a shot at Jones. Even Chael a TITLE SHOT! They are basically the equivalent of Lindland in '07 (who was supposedly the #2 MW then, at the time only recently narrowly losing to LHW rampage who many thought he beat; and rampage was at the time LHW champ at the point of the lindland/fedor fight)...

Zulu and HMC are rubbish no doubt about that, but it was a different time back then - HMC was an INoki NYE event, Zulu another NYE special.

Even if Jones squashed guys like that now - say a James Toney type or Butterbean, it wouldn't derail what he's done. So why is Fedor held to the same standard given the VERY different era of Japanese MMA.

And 4 or 5 legit guys? He fought many more solid, quality fighters than that. Herring, Coleman 1, AA, Sylvia, Nog twice, CC, Randleman, Hunt at the very least...

I have Fedor as GOAT

Jones and Silva @ 2 so I guess Jones will surpass Silva with a defense over, preferably Rumble. If more legit challengers rise then he'll definitely be P4P GOAT but never overall GOAT until he dominates HW.

Anderson reigned and cleaned out an entire weight class in the UFC and made it look easy. Fedor reigned in a fixed organization and fought a lot of cans to pad his record honestly. Anderson is above GSP too because we all know Silva would beat GSP at 185 or a catch weight. Bones still has 4 or 5 more years to be considered above Fedor or Silva, so therefore Anderson Silva is GOAT.

CroCop is the GOAT. Jones is a zit on CC's sack.

Well they gave Vitor and Chael a shot at Jones. Even Chael a TITLE SHOT! They are basically the equivalent of Lindland in '07...

Zulu and HMC are rubbish no doubt about that, but it was a different time back then - HMC was an INoki NYE event, Zulu another NYE special.

Even if Jones squashed guys like that now - say a James Toney type or Butterbean, it wouldn't derail what he's done. So why is Fedor held to the same standard given the VERY different era of Japanese MMA.

And 4 or 5 legit guys? He fought many more solid, quality fighters than that. Herring, Coleman 1, AA, Sylvia, Nog twice, CC, Randleman, Hunt at the very least...

Except Chael had recently destroyed Shogun and given the p4p champ all he could handle. Belfort was also an ex LHW champ and Fedor had actually agreed to fight him before the fight fell through. In any event, theres a difference between two elite MWs who had fought well previously at LHW moving up one class to fill a void and a not-so-elite MW moving up two classes to HW as a planned event from the outset.

As for Sylvia, Randelman and Herring, we'll have to disagree...but lets say they're legit enough...compare fighters like Sylvia and Herring to middle of the road type challengers like Glover and Rashad...what a quantum difference in terms of well-roundedness, skills and speed!

JBJ has truly been walking through a murderers row for 6 years minus the brief little stretch against the MWs - who like I already said - were dangerous MWs as Vitor nearly proved.

I wouldn't count Fedor's freakshow contests against him if they were rarer or that he made up for it by fighting more elites. But he didn't.

Bones is the one true goat

Anderson Silva is GOAT. He beat the best in the most spectacular ways. I got GSP 2nd he has more top 5 wins than anybody i think, then I got JJ. (for now)

lol at people saying the Chris....

Anderson reigned and cleaned out an entire weight class in the UFC and made it look easy. Fedor reigned in a fixed organization and fought a lot of cans to pad his record honestly. Anderson is above GSP too because we all know Silva would beat GSP at 185 or a catch weight. Bones still has 4 or 5 more years to be considered above Fedor or Silva, so therefore Anderson Silva is GOAT.

MW was at its weakest when Silva reigned. That fixed org had the best fighters at the time and some of the guys who fought in it are still relevant unlike their UFC counterparts. Silva also lost to his cans (Takase / Chonan). While Silva did make it look easy, it was against a bunch of guys who weren't that great before or after he fought them. All Weidman has to do is beat Souza and Rockhold and he'll surpass Silva.

GSP lol good record and all but I put him behind Fedor, Jones, Silva.

Silva is an all time great, top 2 (soon to be 3) don't get me wrong, that is amazing but I still have Fedor above him. In his prime, he didn't lose despite not really having many advantages. How many times do you hear a HW being #1 P4P? Who else beat as many champions as him? ADCC champs, Olympic wrestlers, Olympic Judokas, K1 champions, UFC champsions, Pride champions, the list goes on. He was the best if his time and did it all while being the smaller man. Sure there are some small guys that beat one or even 2 heavy weights but to get a streak that big against that level of competition, being that small is amazing. Not to mention, the rules were much harsher in Pride.

Also, the only time you could consider the UFC HW champion "the best" was after the SF merger, before that, any knowledgeable fan knew SF had the true champion. All this happened at the end of Fedors career anyway unlike Silva who was already a big name when he lost to his cans.

All the P4P GOATs are amazing, I'm not shitting on Silva but Fedor is #1 both P4P and the GOAT.

Nah. HW is a shallow division. That's one reason a smaller HW can dominate it. To imagine a guy naturally weighing like 190 ruling the LHW division is fantasy. Jones is the king of a deeper division and is the UFC champion. In this era, the UFC can truly claim to have most of the best fighters. Also, competition is just getting deeper. So, dominance in one era does not necessarily equate to dominance in another.

And really, three divisional champ in order to compete? That's silly. I think if he beat the HW champ, he would without a question eclipse Fedor, although he arguably already has. Chances are excellent this debate will just be silly in a couple of years. He just equalled Anderson Silva's UFC win streak by any sensible estimation and Anderson had sort of made a case for being better than Fedor by the end of that run. Jones can quickly eclipse them both with much more continued success.

MW was at its weakest when Silva reigned. That fixed org had the best fighters at the time and some of the guys who fought in it are still relevant unlike their UFC counterparts. Silva also lost to his cans (Takase / Chonan). While Silva did make it look easy, it was against a bunch of guys who weren't that great before or after he fought them. All Weidman has to do is beat Souza and Rockhold and he'll surpass Silva.

GSP lol good record and all but I put him behind Fedor, Jones, Silva.

Silva is an all time great, top 2 (soon to be 3) don't get me wrong, that is amazing but I still have Fedor above him. In his prime, he didn't lose despite not really having many advantages. How many times do you hear a HW being #1 P4P? Who else beat as many champions as him? ADCC champs, Olympic wrestlers, Olympic Judokas, K1 champions, UFC champsions, Pride champions, the list goes on. He was the best if his time and did it all while being the smaller man. Sure there are some small guys that beat one or even 2 heavy weights but to get a streak that big against that level of competition, being that small is amazing. Not to mention, the rules were much harsher in Pride.

Also, the only time you could consider the UFC HW champion "the best" was after the SF merger, before that, any knowledgeable fan knew SF had the true champion. All this happened at the end of Fedors career anyway unlike Silva who was already a big name when he lost to his cans.

All the P4P GOATs are amazing, I'm not shitting on Silva but Fedor is #1 both P4P and the GOAT.

Hendo beat Fedor at 205. Anderson was the first man to finish Hendo in his prime.

GSP

and I think Jones is getting there. Realistically, two more title defenses against quality guys. That or beat Cain.

Jones and Velasquez are the best I have seen (following since 1995) so I want to see that fight to determine number 1. They have dominated while all the best fighters have been in the same promotion and over the time I have followed the sport we have seen the fighters getting better and better due to superior training, coaching and diet etc.
Fedor has a great Pride record but that was in a ring with now defunct rules - he is 1-3 in the cage under Unified Rules. Pride was a top 2 promotion but never had the depth that Jones and Velasquez have faced.

Back