Who is your all time GOAT & where do u think JBJ stands in comparison

Fedor is the GOAT right now.
Jones is the Lhw GOAT.
You can't become GOAT by beating up smaller guys your entire career. If Jones beats Gus again and moves up to hw and does well with 2-3 wins I will consider him the GOAT.

GOAT talk is stupid, this sport has only been around for 25 years

25 years is a unit of time, and someone has to have been the best in that time. And since it is a relatively short period, this should be a short discussion.

Just so we're clear, you're basically saying that Fedor is the GOAT because he did something first, not because he is the best there ever was.

No... Fedor is GOAT 'cos he wins despite not being the best.
Imagine him if he has Jones' physical gifts.

Of course we cannot compare them directly 'cos they are great in different areas. Which is why i said i will only see JBJ in that light if he becomes champion in at least 2 weight classes.

As of right now, he's the GOAT LHW for sure.

Mine is Fedor.

Dunno if my memory sucks but IMO Anderson, GSP and Big Nog did better in their prime as well. And Jose Aldo has 10 consecutive title defences, so he must be ahead of JJ too.

He still have a lot of time though.

Lol. Fuck no. MM isn't even top 20

Huh. I think he's pretty good. I know a lot of people don't like watching small fighters, but I believe that FlW fighters are some of the most skilled. People say its a weak division, but I believe that has more to do with fan interest and marketing.

Statistically it should be more stacked than the heaviest three division, if you only consider the available talent. In the general population there are about the same number of people that can cut to 125 as can not cut to 205 (heavyweights). However being big is an advantage in so many sports that most available great athletes and competitors will play other sports professionally. If you are small and a competitor, you pretty much have to fight.

Everyone in the Fly Weight division is immensely talented, and MM is several steps above the rest. Perhaps he hasn't had enough time to enter the GOAT discussion, but I think that he is on his way.

Aldo for sure but probably not MM he's had a good run but imo he's not in the running for GOAT yet

Good answer. I'll agree with this. He does have a long way to go to be considered the best ever. I guess as far as lifetime accomplishments BJ and Hughes would be ahead of him, at the very least.

Good answer. I'll agree with this. He does have a long way to go to be considered the best ever. I guess as far as lifetime accomplishments BJ and Hughes would be ahead of him, at the very least.

BJ isn't ahead of Aldo. ..not even close

Fedor

JBJ is far behind. HE would have to do a LOT in HW to convince me otherwise.

If anything, Jons win over Cormier proved just fighting in a heavier weight division doesn't mean you're the better fighter. Cormier was dominating everyone at HW and lost to Jones, something I didn't see happening. I thought Cormier would dominate Jones with his wrestling because like Fedor, he showed dominance at HW.

For me, the GOAT list at the moment is

1)Fedor/Anderson
2)GSP
3)Jones
4)Aldo

Tomorrow it will be

1) Jones
2) Fedor/Anderson
3) GSP/Aldo

Currently its Fedor but Jones is literally on his doorstep.

I am finding it more and more difficult to compare the modern Unified game to the fighting that Fedor did with the more dangerous rules of PrideFC though.

Its almost like comparing Formula 1 to Indycar drivers, the rules/judging/environment make a huge impact.

Jones' strength of resume is insane, but unless you actively were a part of Fedor's reign you can't accurately understand it. Even many of guys who now people see as 'cans' were interesting tests. Fedor defeated a lot of guys at their strengths just the way Jones has done and transitioned better than almost everyone I've seen.

Fedor still remains the most 'undefeatable' fighter I've seen at his very best. There are a few small holes in Jones's armour and has been matched at times by others, losing the odd round, where as Fedor was head and shoulders about everyone for many years until people caught up.

Jones is basically the equivalent of Fedor for the Unified Rules/cage as Fedor was for Pride in the ring.

A win or two more or if he takes his streak right through 2015, he cannot be denied as outright GOAT, but currently:

1. Fedor
2. Jones
3. Anderson
4. GSP
5. Aldo

Anderson
Fedor
GSP
Jones

Right now...Jones could be number one when it's all said and done.

Currently its Fedor but Jones is literally on his doorstep.

I am finding it more and more difficult to compare the modern Unified game to the fighting that Fedor did with the more dangerous rules of PrideFC though.

Its almost like comparing Formula 1 to Indycar drivers, the rules/judging/environment make a huge impact.

Jones' strength of resume is insane, but unless you actively were a part of Fedor's reign you can't accurately understand it. Even many of guys who now people see as 'cans' were interesting tests. Fedor defeated a lot of guys at their strengths just the way Jones has done and transitioned better than almost everyone I've seen.

Fedor still remains the most 'undefeatable' fighter I've seen at his very best. There are a few small holes in Jones's armour and has been matched at times by others, losing the odd round, where as Fedor was head and shoulders about everyone for many years until people caught up.

Jones is basically the equivalent of Fedor for the Unified Rules/cage as Fedor was for Pride in the ring.

A win or two more or if he takes his streak right through 2015, he cannot be denied as outright GOAT, but currently:

1. Fedor
2. Jones
3. Anderson
4. GSP
5. Aldo

All good points. Is Fedor vs. Jones even a real comparison? I suppose the difficulty is how you define greatest. Is it relative? Is it absolute?

In relative terms I would say that JBJ has not achieved what Fedor did, and won't for some time.
In absolute terms I think Jones is a better fighter, and is fighting better fighters.

Fedor

JBJ is far behind. HE would have to do a LOT in HW to convince me otherwise.

Maybe he can start fighting top 10 fighters and get stopped 3 times in a row, 2 in the first round - would that help as well?

(Well at least he's got the 'fighting top 10ers' down)

Back