Who is/was the most dominant athlete across all sports?

Not trolling so dont give me more yellows haha, but lots of black guys have yellow or bloodshot eyes naturally.

Holy shit, you're not crazy lol. There is a higher preponderance of yellow eyes in people of African descent, but still, its such a tiny percent that it gives me pause.

Being the world's greatest pole vaulter is almost as impressive and being the world's greatest pogo stick jumper. We're talking a
OK. I guess you REALLY ARE an idiot. The guy broke the WORLD RECORD 35 times! The OP's question was who was/is the most dominant athlete across all sports. Regardless of what you think, it's a sport that's done around the world. He was thoroughly dominant in his sport. Dude's question wasn't "who is/was the most dominant per number of people who participate in said sport."
If I broke the world record for an obscure sport that nobody participates in, am I the greatest of all time?

OK. I guess you REALLY ARE an idiot. The guy broke the WORLD RECORD 35 times! The OP's question was who was/is the most dominant athlete across all sports. Regardless of what you think, it's a sport that's done around the world. He was thoroughly dominant in his sport. Dude's question wasn't "who is/was the most dominant per number of people who participate in said sport."
How many people competed in pole vault last year? I have the answer. I want you to google it and then delete your post.

Being the world's greatest pole vaulter is almost as impressive and being the world's greatest pogo stick jumper. We're talking a

If I broke the world record for an obscure sport that nobody participates in, am I the greatest of all time?
100 million Americans dream of playing in the NBA , 2 dream of being the best at poling their weird bodies over a stick. Let's now talk about dominant athletes

Nope. In terms of dominance, he doesn't even lead his sport. If we are talking team sports than Gretzky is so far ahead of anyone else it makes this question irrelevant.

In before someone names some cricket player from 1931

The Don? Donald Bradman. His batting stats would be better if it wasn't for the Bodyline Series. Those ungentlemanly Poms!

The Don? Donald Bradman. His batting stats would be better if it wasn't for the Bodyline Series. Those ungentlemanly Poms!
This is a dude that played third world baseball before there was national radio. Yeah. Sorry. Doesn't count

In before people start posting about it being a different era.
Just tell those guys "So what". He was that far ahead of everybody else at the time and those stats dont even include his first three years as a pro.
There's a lot of really good players out there, but there are only a few game changers.

Phelps, Mayweather, Schumacher, Bolt come to mind.

None of these.
Phelps only holds 1 long course record in a solo event. Paul Biedermann, Cesar Cielo and Adam Peaty hold 2 each.
Mayweather never fought anybody over 154 lbs. Imagine if LeBron James or Tom Brady never played anyone over 154 lbs.
Schumacher could easily be surpassed by Hamilton in the next two seasons.
Bolt's 100m and 200m records have lasted less than 11 years. Time will tell with him.

Last edited:
This is a dude that played third world baseball before there was national radio. Yeah. Sorry. Doesn't count

There were more people playing cricket when Bradman was around than play American football or ice hockey today.

Last edited:
There were more people playing cricket when Bradman was around than play american football or ice hockey today.
Are we talking about Indians?
Because they're obviously known for their athleticism. A billion of them and nobody has ever seen them compete in any sport outside of cricket and spelling bees

Going solely by stats it is hard to argue against Gretzky. However, even Gretzky himself stated that had Mario not had the disc problems in his back and Hodgkin's disease would have had a crack at a lot of his records. I think Mario was every bit as dominant, but that doesn't take away from Wayne's insane career point total. Unless some major changes happen in the NHL related to rules, goalie equipment, rink size etc I doubt his career point total get touched, but Ovie might catch his goals.

Bo Jackson in his prime was surreal, how many athletes in history can say they were above average in two different sports in the same calendar year? Had he concentrated on just football and played 8-10 seasons full time at RB with little to no injuries he's almost certainly top 5 in rushing yards.

Barry Sanders is the only athlete that I can think of that nobody before or since he played could do the things he did.

BwKXBh7IYAAejOG.jpg

Wayne Gretzky. In terms of records, he's the most dominant as far as I'm concerned.

As far as role players are concerned, Mariano Rivera was in a league of his own.

100% first ballot Hall of Famer.

Secretariat
Won all the triple crown horse races and set course records in all 3.
The 2nd place horse in 2 of those races, named Sham, would himself have beaten all but 5 horses in the entire history of triple crown racing based on times, and Secretariat won each race by multiple lengths making Sham look like a child.
In the Belmont his record is a full 2 seconds better than the other top 5 all time best, of which all are within 1/10th of second. This while leading the race by 30 lengths and the jockey never once using his whip.

Proportionate to comparable top-end competition measured equally over a 100 years of competition, this is by far the most dominant and physically exceptional performance that can be measured. A given sports contest always has to produce a winner and someone can win a lot of times by being slightly better and consistent.
The only argument would be Man O War, but that horse was born in an old time era before modern races/training.

Last edited:
Back