Who is using Retropie?

What do you guys think of this Raspberry Pi 3? Can anyone testify! Seems like it has everything I need out of the box. Or is this to expensive?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DGFH76Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_2?smid=A2PDQ2WMYTIYVC&psc=1

@GSP_37
@Kalitaur
@Steve-French
@jefferz

Help me out breddren.

It's the same kit this guy is using.

It's $99 bucks Canadian though. Gonna pick up a cheap 16 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive too for $12 bucks.

I'm guessing you can assemble the stuff yourself cheaper on Amazon as long as you're willing to pay attention to the specs on each thing like the 5V 2.5A power thing and cable width whatever for the power.

People said you can't run the fan on 3.3V and they were full of shit.

If I were to buy the parts again, I'd go topless with a really tall heatsink. The one I bought was intended for a case that closed.

I will run GBA, GB, Genesis, Super NES, NES, PSX and N64 ROMs/ISOs. I know N64 emulation accuracy is something to be desired with all those crazy chipsets. Maybe I should get a case with a fan then? The heat sinks seem decent enough.

The processor and RAM seem more then adequate for PSX and N64 era games over the base 3. Are you running the 3 or 3 B+ Steve? At least from what I saw in that vid he was running Kazooie fine.

Thanks for your reply.
Don't get your hopes up for N64 unless you overclock with some magic recipe overclock settings and have a fan and heatsink. Google Microsoft Raspberry Pi 3D printed fan mount. There's a 3D printable .stl file for a fan mount for topless Pi and has graphs of heat without anything vs. heatsink only vs. heatsink + fan.

Also, I read a short power cable results in less voltage lost, so more going where it needs to. My uninterruptible power supply has a USB outlet that's supposed to give 5V 2.5A, I think and so far no problems with lightning bolt slowdown unless I have the PS3 controller plugged into the Pi's USB for charging.

Back