who is tj dillashaw?

I blame the newness of the weight class and lack of stars to emerge and your casual fan'dom. I've seen TJ fight a few times and know well who he is. He's fought 7X in the UFC and you're bitching you don't know who he is.

He's a mid tier fighter who somehow got a title shot after beating mike easton by a decision....im thinking faber pulled some strings

Justin Edwards has fought 6 times in the UFC and I don't think I would recognize him in a lineup.

To be fair, Dillashaw is more recognizable than that.

He has team alpha male behind him, was TUF finalist, had a little bit of controversy on the show, and is getting a title shot now.

You need to give this division time to germinate though; remember Matt Hughes vs. Gil Castillo?

Last I heard, he was Tj Dillshaw... but who knows, this might change any second.

They should've promoted him more, but you're very casual if you don't know him. I understand not knowing Ali Bagautinov, but TJ is about as well known as any BW not named Faber, Barao or Cruz in the UFC.

The guy was on TUF and did fairly well. He has been knocking the sh!t out of a number of BWs and is getting a title shot because he is the best contender right now that hasn't already fought Barao.

TJ is solid. It's not the UFC's fault that your not a fan or knowledgeable of the sport. Some people actually follow the sport and don't need the hype train shoved down their throat to realize fighters talents.
This forum of supposed MMA fans is wholly ignorant of prospects and virtually anyone outside of a top 5 P4P list, and worst of all, they're proud of it. They could probably tell you more about TJ's salary than his fights.

I'm all for jumping on TS for not knowing who Dillashaw is, but his larger point has some validity to it. The UFC does a crappy job marketing guys and building stars these days. Maybe I'm just looking at the past with rose-colored glasses, but it seems like they used to do a much better job of introducing challengers than they do now, both by putting them in featured fights and through the use of Countdown and "All Access" shows, etc.

Get off your high horse.

No. Because this guy is complaining about not knowing him. That's his own fault.

The guy has fought on free-TV on the main card multiple times and fought 7-times total in the UFC as well as was on TUF and made the finals.

If you don't know who a fighter is after all that you probably don't watch much if any MMA.

Tj is essentially Uriah Faber light. Worse wrestling, worse standup . He is going to get annihilated by Barao. It is a total miss match . Will not take him down at all and will most likely get spinning back kicked KO'd.

The problem with building people up or trying to create stars out of them for the UFC is that MMA fans are in general so fickle that as soon as they lose once all the hype was for nothing. I can't blame them for not wanting to throw money behind someone who will inevitably lose a fight and inevitably lose all the support they had gained. It's a losing proposition for the UFC.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but you are more of a casual than the two million TUF n00bs who watched him make it to the finals.

i like MMA, not reality TV shows. just cause you like to spend your time watching shows like Millionaire Matchmaker, Wife Swap and TUF, doesn't make you or those two million people more knowledge on the sport than me. TJ Dillashaw hasn't been marketed adequately for a fighter that is headlining an event.

Seriously. If the UFC want me to get interested in these lower level title fights, they need to hype these guys up.

The way they are doing it right now, putting these guys on the preliminaries and then next fight giving them a title shot, I have no idea who they are, how they fight, and why I should even care.

Sounds like all your crying could be avoided if you actually watched the prelims.

i like MMA, not reality TV shows. just cause you like to spend your time watching shows like Millionaire Matchmaker, Wife Swap and TUF, doesn't make you or those two million people more knowledge on the sport than me.
Actually, that is definition of being more knowledgeable.

I'm all for jumping on TS for not knowing who Dillashaw is, but his larger point has some validity to it. The UFC does a crappy job marketing guys and building stars these days. Maybe I'm just looking at the past with rose-colored glasses, but it seems like they used to do a much better job of introducing challengers than they do now, both by putting them in featured fights and through the use of Countdown and "All Access" shows, etc.

Not knowing who a fighter is, who isn't a super star is not worth "jumping on". I've been following UFC and MMA as a huge fan since I was a teenager in the early 2000's, watching every event I can and I had never heard of TJ Dillashaw until he was announced as Barao's next opponent... that some how makes me not a fan of the sport? GTFO. Some people have lives outside of keeping up with MMA.

Tj is essentially Uriah Faber light. Worse wrestling, worse standup . He is going to get annihilated by Barao. It is a total miss match . Will not take him down at all and will most likely get spinning back kicked KO'd.

No he's not.
Like not at all.

Actually, that is definition of being more knowledgeable.

more knowledgeable in a general sense, maybe (knowing garbage isn't an interest of mine). does that make you more knowledgeable on the sport of MMA than any fan that hasn't watched TUF? i think the answer you're looking for here is, no.

more knowledgeable in a general sense, maybe (knowing garbage isn't an interest of mine). does that make you more knowledgeable on the sport of MMA than any fan that hasn't watched TUF? i think the answer you're looking for here is, no.
Being knowledgeable means you are well-informed. The people who watched TUF are aware of TJ Dillashaw whereas you are not. Therefore, they are more knowledgeable. It's quite simple.

I know TJ well as a fighter, but then again I love TAM.

Back