Who is the toughest guy who posts in here

Nobody mentioned him so I will. The Ranger is the toughest guy on this board. Reading his posts gave me a wealth on insights on the male psyche. :p

"If I thought I'd get results then I'd act a whole lot sweeter,
But people always respect AN UZI NINE MILLIMETER!!!!!"
- Arnie & The Terminators 'I'll Be Back'

- The Jake

PSG-1 at six hundred meters? You're so cute! =) =) =)

I'll shoulder a SR25 and plug you from eight hundred, or grab a really shitty rifle...like that Barrett .50 cal that everybody thinks is so great...and remove your torso from up to a klick. I haven't been to SOTIC, so I'm not gonna lie and say I'm the best shot in the world, but I can't help but feel that living one floor above our snipers helps a little bit. hehe

I was kidding, ranger. I couldn't hit the broad side of barn with an M9 within kissing range.

Well I carry a spud gun and could sting your eyes with my deadly precision.

I am pretty tough though I once dropped thrilla killas mum on my balls without screaming, they even left an imprint on the floor.

Even though he doesn't post here if he did we would all have to bow in presence of the almighty one TONY HALME, he is one tough son of a bitch.

To be truthful, I cannot answer that question, or even venture too much of an accurate guess. It's a loaded question, you see, with too many possible answers...all of which could be considered correct given different angles of view. For instance, what TYPE of toughness are you specifically talking about? Physical? Guess what? There are different types of physical toughness as well. Pure strength, pure endurance, pain threshold...you name it. Mental toughness? I've walked thirty miles on feet so bloody that every time I stepped, my jungle boots went 'squish'. I consider that not only physically tough, but mentally tough as well. Is it more so than somebody enduring the loss of loved ones? I couldn't honestly tell you.

I suppose we'll never know, although we'll have our likely suspects. Some of the bigger, more muscular guys are physically powerful AND therefor tough in THAT manner. Bas, Elvis and all the fighters are tough both physically and mentally. Lets not forget intellectual toughness, either. It's not easy completing college in most cases, and some people on here have successfully done so.

Toughness can have many meanings as Ranger points out. It's impossible to really judge without knowing exactly what type of toughness we are talking about.

I would say mental toughness is one of the most important things as it's something you have to call upon everyday in life unlike some of the other types.

Ranger have you ever shot or killed anyone? I expect that would take some mental toughness to get over or not think about. My dad was in the Falklands and has killed someone and prefers not to really speak of it too much. I'm not sure if I could get over something like that as well as some.

Although squashing my balls is no problem. j/k

Ranger do you ever have to do anything where you are, no drills or something? You seem to spend far to much time on here and I thought the Army was tough. :D

Well, I've had to explain this a few times. I'm laid up with a casted leg, and can't really train. Everybody else is off somewhere doing something that is nobodies business. So, the barracks are pretty much left to myself and my roommate. I can't visit my wife too frequently, so I spend most of my time here or in the gym, trying to crutch and move weights between benches. =)

What happened to your leg Ranger? I hope you get well soon and start training. Does the army teach any form of martial art?

I blew out my ankle on a jump and had to have a lateral ankle reconstruction.

My Unit, and this doesn't go for the whole military, teaches us Carlson Gracie JJ and Vale Tudo under Marcelo Alonso, Carlson Gracie's top instructor in Rio for many years. He ran the school down there known as "The Champion Factory".

I'd be happy if I knew how to swing a broadsword like Conan does. And be as powerful and cunning as that savage Cimmerian bastard! The ultimate tough guy!!! He is the Rickson Gracie of fantasy literature.

Dammit, I've been reading Robert E. Howard's work over the past few days. Now I'm without a car I've got a lot more reading time when I travel public transport. Anyone that wants to read about a tough bastard, get Conan. Don't settle for any other author apart from the original definitive Robert E. Howard either. He tells a story and paints a picture of Conan unlike any other author.

- The Jake

You know Robert E. Howard was a fanatical weight lifter? Just like you and me, Jake...only a better writer. LoL

He also killed himself...

Anyway, I like his Conan a lot...L. Sprague De Camp does a fair one, but Robert Jordan's was probably as good as Howards. REALLY fun stuff to read. Killing, wenching, drinking, killing, wenching and drinking. SOOOOO Cool!

Originally posted by RangerFTL
You know Robert E. Howard was a fanatical weight lifter? Just like you and me, Jake...only a better writer. LoL

No I didn't know he was a weight lifter... back in the late 20's that shit was very uncommon... wow!

Would you believe that I was actually considering a career in writing once. I too wanted to write fantasy... I may get back into it but it has been a long time since I was bitten by the creative bug...

He also killed himself...

Yeah I know... kinda sad really. The guy lived his whole life for his mum. When she fell into coma he just topped himself. I'm really suprised as he seemed to have a solid grip on things... oh well.

Anyway, I like his Conan a lot...L. Sprague De Camp does a fair one, but Robert Jordan's was probably as good as Howards.

Have only skimmed through parts by Jordan. To me it appeared he was trying to change the nature of Conan stories. Conan was meant to be a series of short stories and it felt like Jordan was prattling on to make it into a full size novel. That's just an impression but and not an educated opinion.

de Camp as probably the second best I've seen. He held true to the short story, pulp novel formula which made Conan great and the same cliches that Howard did but still... there's something about the way Robert E. Howard tells the story and paints the Cimmerian that just blows me away.

REALLY fun stuff to read. Killing, wenching, drinking, killing, wenching and drinking. SOOOOO Cool!

That is just it!!

The SIMPLICITY of his life! The guy boils life down to the essentials. He is a born survivor and conquerer and master of the elements. Nothing ever beats him. Doesn't matter what it is - hunger, starvation, the cold, poison, magic, war, blood loss, wounds, you name it. He just keeps.. on... COMING... he is the fucking TERMINATOR of literature!

What I also love is that he is happy with some lithe, frail woman he's rescued from some vicious bastard, a flagon of wine and a fistful of meat, and a crew of men at his backs ready to support his next cause. He doesn't give a fuck if he loses all the money, loses his ship, loses his men or the women. He knows there is more to be stolen or found. He just moves onto the next cause. Might is right, he takes what he wants from those not strong enough or not fit enough to hold onto it.

But yet when someone tries to take something that's his, that fucking Cimmerian digs his heels in and fights back tooth and nail to reclaim what is his, whatever the price. And he never gives up and he always wins!!! How can you not like that?? He's just the man.

There's something truly envious about the simplicity of his life.

- The Jake

Back