Who is the most complete fighter? Fedor or GSP?

shinbone28

White Belt
Reaction score
In terms of well roundedness...

when u think of guys who excel in almost every category of fighting, those two usually come to mind

Striking
Fedor - feared power, amazing ability to shoulder roll, slip punches, fast reflexes
GSP - super technical, considered by Freddie Roach to be the best technical striker in MMA after Anderson

Grappling
Fedor - sambo grandmaster with judo. amazing submissions, his arsenal of grappling technique (throws, trips, subs, sweeps) is probably bigger than anyone in mma history.

GSP - wrestling alone is what puts him above everyone. had the record for most takedowns until the record was broken by Khabib Nurmagomedov, no shame in that as Khabib himself is a Russian national wrestler & Sambo world champ. GSP easily the 2nd best wrestler in UFC after Khabib. And hes a BJJ black belt.

Cardio
Fedor - has never gassed out in a fight, gone to decision before, for a chubby heavyweight, his gas tank is impressive

GSP - also never gassed out in a fight, known to be the most athletic fighter in MMA history (with exception of maybe Brock Lesnar who some argue as the best athlete)

Speed
Fedor - known for his quickness and agility as a heavyweight, his physique makes it more impressive!

GSP - fastest jab in MMA. super athlete, the guy is like a cat

Ground and Pound
Fedor - took the sport by storm with his GNP of heath herring and nogueira.. some of the most vicious in the sport, so much power he can generate from short punches on the ground

GSP - not much of a finisher, but man he makes peoples faces look like a mess with his constant pace and non stop GNP when he gets takedowns (see BJ Penn part 2)

are there fighters who are more complete than these guys?

i can think of some fighters who might contend? Weidman? Cain? BJ Penn (in his prime)?

Fedor.

GSP guard game is unknown, he doesn't hit hard even for a welterweight, though he used to be a beast but after Serra fight, you never seen it again. Better wrestling/takedown defense though.

I think Fedor is a better striker, better submissions, worse positioning top/bottom bjj, worse takedown defense, and he didn't tap to strikes.

I say Fedor because, GSP became really just a wrestler After Serra fight with poor shit striking. And in their primes, I think Fedor had a better groundgame from bottom to justify saying he's more complete fighter.

GSP was pretty much the perfect fighter in terms of efficiency and technique.

Always.

Fedor have more weapons in his arsenal though George was one of the best with top wrestling control, takedowns, keeping distance and being efficent.

Fedor easy. Most complete fighter we have ever seen.

About the same, Fedor was more dangerous, versatile, and unpredictable offensively but GSP had so many excellent tools to keep him out of trouble.

For his weight class, GSP was probably more well rounded because of his size. Fedor just wasn't as good in some positions being the smaller dude.

Last edited:
Fedor, with the fact he would finish guys off from every position.

The massive weight difference makes this hard to measure.

Fedor was built to fight HWs. He has a great build and skill set for it. It's a completely different set of strengths, even while being extremely well rounded.

When it comes to defense, GSP is better without question, from any position.

Last edited:
i am a huge fan of them both,but when the fight got gritty and blood and guts'y..Fedor handled it better,and usually came out on top of exchanges like that. That would be the major difference for me.

Also: there was stuff that worked for GSP that Fedor could do but didnt use. Fedor never really shot for takedowns and seldom ever used kicks,but he sure as hell could use them when he wanted to. On the other hand Gsp's kicks and shots are his biggest weapons

GSP is very well-rounded but as said, really lacks that ability to put people away. Not quite the problem with Fedor.

GSP is very well-rounded but as said, really lacks that ability to put people away. Not quite the problem with Fedor.

This easily goes the other way.

Like the Gracies say, avoid defeat at all costs.

Fedor gets choked out and KO'd more often.

This easily goes the other way.

Like the Gracies say, avoid defeat at all costs.

Fedor gets choked out and KO'd more often.

True. But who's to say GSP's career would not have turned around like that if he were to have kept on fighting?
It's not that big of a difference in terms of losses IMO. I'd say it has been worth the pay-off. Some of GSPs fights where he just couldn't put a guy away werent really all that exciting. I'll take balls to the walls Fedor any day of the week.

True. But who's to say GSP's career would not have turned around like that if he were to have kept on fighting?

Both fighters use the rush, I could easily see GSP slowing down.

But I don't think I have to make an argument saying GSP at his core is a more defensive fighter than Fedor.

But again it falls to my previous post about HW vs WW. Fedor had hammer on the end of his arm, he could be a bit more reckless with much more stopping power. You can't fight like that at the top of the WW division.

Back