Who is the most boring fighter?

Most boring fighter is your favorite fighter

Jacob Volkmann was up there.
His best fights were the ones he lost.

nice all round fighter bashing thread
201_GSP.0.jpg

You can't find good answer about this because most boring fighters are never remembered by fans. Being mentioned as a most boring fighter means that in fact he is not the most boring fighter.

Jake Shields IMO

I love a good grapplefuck. But most lay and pray fighters have me tuning out.

I find that a little odd, too (Miletich being boring), because there were some very entertaining fighters training at MFS however many years ago.

Hughes, Lawler and Pulver were some of the most exciting fighters to watch at the time. Lawler still is one of the most exciting fighters today and definitely top 10 all time in terms of being fun to watch.

Sylvia had some boring fights, but he had some pretty good ones, too. Jeremy Horn is a different story, though. He's had so many awful fights, so boring it's basically torture.

Miletich is/was widely considered to be extremely boring, but we should all be glad he was around because his gym produced some amazingly entertaining fighters, as I already said.

It's strange that someone as boring as him played such a major role in producing some of the most exciting fighters in the world at the time. I'd rather listen to him commentate. I'd definitely prefer to listen to him commentate over Stann and Anik, that's for sure.

Indeed. Pat definitely deserves a lot of credit for helping hold the UFC together in its darkest days. Basically UFC 20-30 are crammed with MFC guys, because they were ready and willing to fight cheap.

Pat also was one of the first to really prioritize conditioning, as a fighter and as a coach.

As for Jeremy Horn.... I really think it depended on who was fighting him. He had a great matchup with Frank Shamrock, but then again, Frank could have an awesome match with a broomstick. (Elvis Sinosic, Eugene Jackson, and Chuck Lidell also come to mind.)

And therein lies the differnce betweena a guy like Frank and Pat.... Frank sees the broomstick and immediately goes for the finish. Pat on the other hand pushes the broomstick up against the cage for 5 rounds, and grinds out a decision.

Demetrius Johnson. Most boring fighter. Laid on top of Tim Elliot in blatant stalling and had no shame about it. For all the tools blaming size discrimination, explain to me why Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik morales, pacquiao, and Naseem hamed were all loved and had massive fan bases. Them being tiny did not hinder them at all because they FOUGHT. MM Johnson does a bunch of athletic things that appear to be fighting, and mostly are but are in fact stall tactics to make his fights as low risk as possible, and the fans aren't fooled which is why no one gives a shit to watch him "fight"

Dominick Cruz and gsp are boring as shit. And it will affect their legacies.

Eddie Alvarez made a Pettis fight boring so he deserves a mention at least.

He made up for it with his RDA and Poirier fights. He did what he had to do to secure that title shot. He also fought hard and exciting against McGregor. He was throwing bombs, it got overshadowed by how bad Conor outclassed him though

GSP
Jake Shields
Jon Fitch
Sean Shrek

Mount Rushmore of Snoozers.

Grapplers that are/were entertaining to watch; Maia(graceful and a technical magician), Sonnen(never quit grinding and working for the finish), Tito(GnP GOD), Faber(that energy and pressure tho), Yoel(so explosive and dangerous everywhere)
Grapplers that put on snooze fests; GSP(good at keeping a guy down and maintained just enough action not to get stood up), Fitch(see GSP), Lindland(... sorry, fell asleep typing that)

Strikers you never want to miss; Edson, Conor(not a fan, but he is good), Nate Diaz, Overeem, Anthony Pettis, Lineker, Vitor
Strikers that are/were snooze buttons; Machida(yeah a few solid KO's but his decisions take over an hour to watch in fast forward), Rory MacDonald(pitter patter, pitter patter, if he can't get ground control you might as well go take a shit or make a sandwich), Dom Cruz( Yeah, he wins and he finished a couple recently but it doesn't erase his reign of decisioning, point fighting "terror")

I'm sure there are more, but those are the standouts for each in my mind.

Demetrius Johnson. Most boring fighter. Laid on top of Tim Elliot in blatant stalling and had no shame about it. For all the tools blaming size discrimination, explain to me why Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik morales, pacquiao, and Naseem hamed were all loved and had massive fan bases. Them being tiny did not hinder them at all because they FOUGHT. MM Johnson does a bunch of athletic things that appear to be fighting, and mostly are but are in fact stall tactics to make his fights as low risk as possible, and the fans aren't fooled which is why no one gives a shit to watch him "fight"

DJ has constantly attempted to finish every recent fight and was successful in 6 of his last 9. You may honestly just not understand what you're watching, because even in the Elliott fight I don't know how many submission attempts or guard pases there were to make you think this way.

In fact the whole reason he almost got caught in that fight is cause within thirty seconds of round 1 he was diving for an armbar and ended up on bottom.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back