Who is the greatest athlete ever from your country?

Carl Lewis was both the fastest man alive and the furthest leaper for quite some time, simultaneously.

Steroids or not, you don't get much more 'athlete' than that

Carl Lewis was both the fastest man alive and the furthest leaper for quite some time, simultaneously.

I think TS means it more in the sense of "sportsperson"

He also grew 4" after 18 and needed braces in his 20s.

Before the faster track surfaces came in for the 1991 world championships he had more sub 20sec 200s than all other runners combined.

usain-bolt-bolt.jpg

In the United States I'd say Michael Jordan.

My family is Croatian and for the longest time it was Davor Šuker but I feel Luka Modrić has surpassed him

Ben Johnson was faster than him. The real fastest man alive for that era.

Have to say George Best by a country mile, though I am not a huge soccer fan he is pretty clearly the most transcendent sportsperson to come out of this wee country:

George-Best.jpg

Never forget his famous quote..
I spent all my money on cars and birds (women) and booze.. The rest I squandered

Ben Johnson was faster than him. The real fastest man alive for that era.

But no one has ever jumped further than Carl Lewis. He is the only person to have jumped 30 feet -- even though the official at the toe board claimed a foot fault. How far is 30feet? He almost jumped out of the pit.

USA: Michael Jordan
giphy.gif
S9KjZAb.gif

anigif_longform-original-10922-1401920350-15.gif

Chicago-Bulls-Michael-Jordan-Last-Shot-Game-Six-vs-Utah-Jazz.gif

WTO7.gif

QgcdxXs.jpg

Canada obviously has Gretzky and he would win any poll.

51qO0SF1EKL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

But we also have others like Lemieux and Steve Nash who need mention. Steve Nash in particular as he broke thru in a sport few Canadians played at the top levels in at the time. So he did not have t
Gretzky by far was the most dominant hockey player and I am American. Just viewing it objectively he smoked any other player in overall points, goals scored, assists and plus/minus. Take into consideration players from the same era like Brett Hull and Teemu Selanne who were bonafide snipers and in the hall of fame. Gretzky recorded more goals, more assists and had a way better plus/minus. Gretzky dominated his sport in championships and stats.
Canada: Wayne Gretzky

XX469Fo.gif

giphy.gif

f5fa2bc2591774027889b3c944b10176.jpg

gretzky-wayne-oilers.jpg

cut.jpg

Last edited:
George Herman Ruth.

He did it on hot dogs and beer, whiskey and hookers.

*points to the fences*

Last week, I saw something trending on yahoo news about someone on Jeopardy saying that Babe Ruth broke the color barrier in baseball.

This person was made to be a laughing stock. I mean, how can someone on Jeopardy be so dumb!

However, years ago, I remember Spike Lee asking the exhume Babe's body to do a DNA test. After all, he grew up in an orphanage and not quite sure who his parents are.

https://www.blackenterprise.com/babe-ruth-black/

It would be awesome if this was true.

Also, it would be awesome of that contestant was brought back on the show for being correct.

Have to say George Best by a country mile, though I am not a huge soccer fan he is pretty clearly the most transcendent sportsperson to come out of this wee country:

George-Best.jpg

Thanks for posting, I had heard of the legend of Best but never seen any footage. Soccer was not on TV in the US back then or covered much in sports magazines. It really is a beautiful game when it is played like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back