Who is the greatest athlete ever from your country?

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by SL1200, Jan 3, 2019.

1. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

They didn't call Longo l'armoire pharmaceutique for nothing.

2. Prefect

Prefect Brown Belt

Her palmares were extraordinary even prior to the advent of EPO.

3. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

I had never heard of EPO when that nickname was thrown around in the Savoie.

4. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

How did you get Sydney Crosby and, say, Michael Jordan on the same list?

5. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

I'm going to list a few..

The most well known and transcendent would be Jonah Lomu. Transformed the game and his position (as a winger, you usually had a fast, wiry player. Jonah was a fast brute would could run around your or over you). Unfortunately his body failed him and he didn't by far have the career that he could have.

Old timers would put Sir Colin Meads up top. For me, Richie McCaw. Near 150 test matches in probably the most punishing position in rugby.

In athletics, one of Sir Peter Snell, Sir Murray Halberg or Dame Valerie Adams.

ChrisCross and therealdope like this.
  6. Graves

Graves ******WTF Belt****** Platinum Member

Lance Armstrong

7. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

You:

[​IMG]

Graves likes this.
  8. Graves

Graves ******WTF Belt****** Platinum Member

lol

The Uniballer was awesome
    studies show EPO does next to nothing for performance
    in endurance athletes.
    he would have won 7 Tours without it.

9. ChrisCross

ChrisCross White Belt

I agree wonder how they got the time to play different sports in the crossover season be it Soccer, rugby to Cricket and the same in American with Football and Baseball.
    My old school shout out goes to Andrew Stoddart who was born 2 miles from where I live and played in Rugby Union, Cricket and even Australian Rules Football.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Stoddart

10. ChrisCross

ChrisCross White Belt

In modern times Jason Robinson who played both Rugby League and Rugby Union.
    In Rugby League 12 caps for Great Britain and 7 for England and in Rugby Union 51 caps for England in which he got a try in England winning the Rugby World Cup in 2003 and was a Great British Lion 2001/2005.
    His club trophies in Rugby League was a Super League title, four Championships, three Challenge Cups, three Regal Trophy wins, 4 premiership titles and an away win against Brisbane Broncos to win the World Club championship and in Rugby Union was a European Cup title and Guinness Premiership title.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Rimbaud82 likes this.
  11. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

Canada obviously has Gretzky and he would win any poll.

[​IMG]

But we also have others like Lemieux and Steve Nash who need mention. Steve Nash in particular as he broke thru in a sport few Canadians played at the top levels in at the time. So he did not have the steal sharpening steal thing that the hockey players have.

I think Ben Johnson and Donovan Bailey are also up there for Canada (I ignore Ben's roids bust in an era when they were covering up Carl Lewis's).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then there is our very own GSP who may well go down as the undisputed GOAT of MMA as he battles now only with Fedor for that honour.

[​IMG]

SL1200 likes this.
  12. Rebelfett

Rebelfett Likebot

[​IMG]

SL1200 likes this.
  13. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

You can't discount Ben Johnson's cheating IMO. He gets dq'ed as should Carl Lewis. The argument that your chemist is not as good as the other guy's doesn't make you any less guilty.

Gretzky probably the obvious winner for Canada. Only downer was, for all the other teams he played for, he never won another Cup.

14. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

As a kiwi, Jason Robinson was one of the few English rugby players I didn't hate. I think it had to do with Wigan being the league team in the UK that kiwis supported because so many kiwis went to play for them (the Paul bros, Dean Bell, Inga the Winger etc) and of course the likes of Monie, Platt, Betts and Bell (albeit them being pretty much over the hill) being with the Warriors in the early years.

Robinson was truly electrifying in those years. Always excitement when he got the ball.

ChrisCross likes this.
  15. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

well Lewis' chemist was no better. The US was just active in covering up their top athletes who were cheating while Canada was busy exposing ours. Its a Canadian thing as we did the same during the SARS epidemic. We public ally broadcasted to the world 'we have SARS' and decimated our tourist travel while the US (California) quietly hid they had it so as to not impact tourist travel.

16. ChrisCross

ChrisCross White Belt

Coming from the UK I never have heard about Jim Thorpe but upon reading about him he is up there with world G.O.A.T.S

SL1200 likes this.
  17. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Best American athlete was Jim Thorpe.

[​IMG]

18. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

I either learned about this dude from a friend or from the Dog. Can't remember now. Binged his HLs.

His chip shots over goalie heads were immaculate. His precision with the ball is what really put him on another level that I could discern. It wasn't about speed, agility, power. The guy was a true skill God.

SL1200 likes this.
  19. wlu.29

wlu.29 Black Belt

Because sid the kid is a goat

20. Rimbaud82

Rimbaud82 Black Belt

George Best is also of that time period, most would say he's one of the most skilled players to ever touch a ball, up there with the best of all time like Pele, Maradona, or indeed Cruyff (and now Messi etc.) but he was infamously self-destructive and fell into alcoholism which destroyed his career. Bit of a tragic story. Despite that he's still an icon of world football, particularly for Manchester United and even more particularly for Northern Ireland fans. Hell we've even named an airport after him.

Take a look -

He allegedly nutmegged Cruyff in a game once, but there's no footage. Might just be a legend but I could believe it.

SL1200 likes this.