Who is the better Fighter..Varner or Guillard?

lildog

A Warrior's Heart
@red
Reaction score
I think overall they are similar in skill set and ability. But i think Guillard has a slight speed advantage and Varner has the chin and slight wrestling advantage. They both have good boxing/striking but are not great at bjj.

Varner takes it by having a better chin and having nearly equal power and boxing plus better wrestling.

I think overall they are similar in skill set and ability. But i think Guillard has a slight speed advantage and Varner has the chin and slight wrestling advantage. They both have good boxing/striking but are not great at bjj.

Varner takes it by having a better chin and having nearly equal power and boxing plus better wrestling.

You've answered your own thread,well done

Varner has more all around game but Guillard could KO with 1 punch. Depends who uses there tools best.

Varner has more all around game but Guillard could KO with 1 punch. Depends who uses there tools best.

So can Varner. Varner just put the kickboxer Barboza lights out. Guillard has an "exciting" style of lunging hook or jumping knee have hurt like two lower tiered LWs and of course he does have the TKO win against one top 10ish fighter at the time with Dunham and thats it...not to impressive at all against mid tiered to elite LWs like Diaz, Miller, Lauzon, Stevenson, etc. etc..he just doesn't ever live up to the hype or the moment.

I think Varner could earn a title shot in a year with 2-3 more impressive wins.

Are you kidding!!? Varner by far! Guillard hits way harder and that's about it. If the fight goes to the mat, Guillard is going to lose haha. I think sherdog makes Guillard way better than he really is, he's not even top 15 imo.
Varner is by far the better fighter it's just that people on sherdog seem to hate him

Varner without question. Too bad about him catching the "sickness". Dude's a bit of a headcase from what I've seen.

Varner. Once in the cage the guy has a similar skill set with much more toughness

Varner is exponentially better in three out of the four most important aspects: Wrestling, Jitz, and cardio. Contrary to popular belief, Varner hits very hard. Almost as hard as Melvin, and his technique is fluid, and he's never been KO'd. So i doubt he'll outclass Jamie or be the first to knock him out. I actually like Melvin Guillard, but it really pissed me off when the fight got cancelled at the finale and he tried to make it look like Varner was afraid of him. Melvin was scared shitless the whole time, not of Jamie, but he knew he had a great chance of losing this fight.

Guillard is stronger and faster. His chin is really bad though, so he has to knock his opponents out quick. He is off and on with his take down defense, sometimes I think no one can bring him down. Then I wonder why he is slacking, recently I'm like why are you asking to be taken down. Varner probably has better technique everywhere and certainly a better chin. Guillard is just really fast and his power is easily top 5 all time among LW's.

The only fighter with a worse ground game than cup Cheik Kongo is Guillard.

I'd say Varner is probably the better fighter, but when they fight it's a toss up even though I'll favor Varner. Never know what you're going to get with either guy. I was very impressed with how Varner handled Barbosa though.

Varner is the better fighter.
Guillard is the better athlete.

Back