Who is the best HW prospect?

Tybura, Puetz, and Smoldarev all look like they could make some noise if sighned.

Damn, more guys choosing to play football I guess.

The fact is, if you are an athletic specimen at that size, you will be driven to other prominent sports from a young age. Sports that give you a free college education, and the chance to make many millions.

True, which makes you think the HW Division would be dominated by Russians, Eastern Europeans, Scandinavians, and Brazilians because they don't have a chance to earn athletic scholarships to the US in most cases; unless said athlete is skilled in the throws events in track and field. I also realize most of those countries, with the exception of Brazil and Russia, do not have high quality MMA gyms to train and make it to the highest level of MMA.

Last edited:
The UFC doesn't have much depth in the heavyweight division so I will consider fighters outside the UFC as being included in prospects. In that case the best heavyweight prospects are likely:

Vitaly Minakov, Blagoi Ivanov, Alexander Volkov and Raphael Butler.

Personally I think Butler has a ton of upside as he is a former pro boxer with a record of 35-12 (28 KO) and is now 9-1 in mma.

Inside the UFC, he is hardly a prospect anymore: Matt Mitrione.

Struve is really not that young in terms of mileage, but he is certainly the best under30 HW. If nobody new shows up, his heart condition doesn't worsen and the KOs suffered don't take their toll, he could very well be champion in a few years. Lots of ifs I know, but still. He is only 27!

Back