Who is the best fighter Randy Couture ever faced?

Randy fought a lot of guys that aren't considered that good now, but when he fought them they were at their absolute peaks and were very difficult to beat at the time. I'd rank them in this order, considering how tough they were at the time of the fight:

1. Chuck
2. Vitor
3. Randleman
4. Rizzo
5. Sylvia
6. Nog
7. Barnett
8. Brock

Mahida?

Based on the fighter at the time randy faced them, I have to go with Machida. A lot of the newer fans might role their eyes at me. But machida Had this mystery around him, and a sense of being unstoppable. It wasn’t just that guys couldn’t beat him, they couldn’t HIT him. He was certainly something else.
Couture fought Machida when he was on a 3 fight losing streak.

What are you even talking about?

Probably have to go with Barnett for top to bottom best fighter randy has faced at the time he faced them. Nogueira i think would technically be better, but when they fought randy was old, and Nog was pretty shopworn. Which is nothing to sneeze at considering how long barnett was a perrenial top 3-5 heavyweight. So with that in mind top 3 at the time he faced them probably Barnett, Liddell, and Machida. The guy has a who's who on his list of guys he's fought. Only major names he missed from HW were Fedor and Cro Cop really, and they both came somewhat close to happening. The best opponents he missed at LHW would probably be Wand, Shogun and rampage. (Arona too but he dissappeared entirely shortly after the pride merger)

the much more telling question is "who is his best win?"

very overrated.

all the top choices- Brock, Barnett, Machida... he lost to.

Wins don’t matter. It’s prize fighting. He found a way to fight for multiple prizes.
Winning is overrated

Just the fact that Randy crossed over into Hollywood is amazing in it's own right guys like Conor still have never been in movies with Stallone or Arnold

If "best" means "best fighting ability" without regard for context, I'm going to have to go with Machida (Barnett at #2).

If "best" means something along the lines of "greatest" and takes things like era and dominance into consideration, I'll go with Nog or Chuck.

Last edited:
Just the fact that Randy crossed over into Hollywood is amazing in it's own right guys like Conor still have never been in movies with Stallone or Arnold
Quite impressive all things considered

Wins don’t matter. It’s prize fighting. He found a way to fight for multiple prizes.
Winning is overrated

this makes zero sense,

with a half dozen different "GOAT" criteria out there, APPEARANCES in fights isnt one of them.

Some people ignore losses and only count wins. You cant ignore both.

i guess you think Cal Ripken is the greatest ball player of all time.

Reactions: HHJ
- Belfort was the baddest, scariest HW at the moment when Couture beat him first time they fought.
- Barnett in his prime needs no introduction.
- Tito had defended the LHW belt 5x before Couture beat him.
- Machida had still some of his "unsolvable" aura when they fought.
- Liddell was 12-1 when Couture beat him the first time they fought.
- Sylvia was in his prime when Couture beat him.
- Lesnar was the scariest man on the planet when they fought.
- Minotauro was still in his peak when they fought.

Couture didn't have an easy life :)

I still think Vera was robbed.

this makes zero sense,

with a half dozen different "GOAT" criteria out there, APPEARANCES in fights isnt one of them.

Cal played in a sport with a TOURNAMENT

it wasn’t like he could just call out bonds to a bat off

Mma is PRIZE FIGHTING bro.
Randy got the prize multiple times so he’s a goat just from that

this makes zero sense,

Nothing in the thread was claiming Randy to be the GOAT. Strength of schedule says a lot. Everyone gives respect to guys who have fought the best of the best. There is a new thread every other week about how amazing Hendo's list of past opponents is.

I
- Belfort was the baddest, scariest HW at the moment when Couture beat him first time they fought.
- Barnett in his prime needs no introduction.
- Tito had defended the LHW belt 5x before Couture beat him.
- Machida had still some of his "unsolvable" aura when they fought.
- Liddell was 12-1 when Couture beat him the first time they fought.
- Sylvia was in his prime when Couture beat him.
- Lesnar was the scariest man on the planet when they fought.
- Minotauro was still in his peak when they fought.

Couture didn't have an easy life :)

I still think Vera was robbed.
turned the Vera fight off after round 3 ended and I just KNEW Randy lost.

few hours later I was like WTF

107910298.0.jpg

I am curious what responses we will get out of this random question.

My vote goes for Nogueira,but keep in mind that Couture also fought the likes of Josh Barnett,Liddell,Machida etc.

Many top fighters,some of who were at their best when he fought them.

RodrigoNogueiraCoutureUFC102_1445.jpg

Back