Movies Who is the 4 best male lead Oscar winning performances in the past 40 years?

What's your picks?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Actor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Academy_Award_Best_Actor_winners_by_age

Robert De Niro - Raging Bull
4tiT9_XrpdGl.jpg

Ben Kingsley - Gandhi
55508f270cd71d17e6be90603a3d8713.jpg

F. Murray Abraham - Amadeus
MV5BZTVlY2Q0OGItYjk0YS00NDMzLWJiZWUtMTFmNGFmZjZjZTVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODg0OTM4NTc@._V1_.jpg

Dustin Hoffman - Rain Man
dustin-hoffman-rain-man-1988-2BKBCFB.jpg

Daniel Day-Lewis - My Left Foot
MV5BZTBmY2Q0NTMtMzA4Yi00NTc4LWFlZGQtMjdkNGIwMzdlMzE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs
4swteNTpAw7e-TMGPTHjcR5ZHhrQxADoRqkp2p5xEaXmKEuLKJ46lKGyXsaCZlOsvjJI73QLI4VyrqDktTOhb_rfQHrlNAibahqQ7HQcHUwWQmeg5ovatcybAyrFnXruTJUoROtUH3tvtAPw5bSxk6clQ8b6SeAA

Al Pacino - Scent of a Woman
6b2d741b2d91ddf5f9213be86535c177.jpg

Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump
forrest-gump-bench.jpg

Nicolas Cage - Leaving Las Vegas
0*QeC1JTvfLBWmlJVF.jpg

Russell Crowe - Gladiator

rs_600x600-200504101147-600-Gladiator-6.jpg

Denzel Washington - Training Day
37d9c6f8b4e21ca63a81555e6f74be0f.jpg

Sean Penn - Mystic River
50f1d6552deee2d4f1833944a2209c0a.jpg

Jamie Foxx - Ray
jaime-ray.jpg

Philip Seymour-Hoffman - Capote
capote-two.jpg

Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
there-will-be-blood-daniel-day-lewis-1024x640.jpg

Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club
8509fff00e33f38ca49e9d6bb6a57bf2.jpg

Leonardo Dicaprio - The Revenant
edffbc0f99604f00ef726e0031a27e1d.png

Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour
darkest_hour.jpg

Joaquin Phoenix - Joker
Screen-Shot-2018-09-21-at-1.29.09-PM.png

Last edited:
Can't be sure of the Top 4. But, definitely, is not Russell Crowe on Gladiator (come on) or Al Pacino (on Scent of a woman or any other film).

I think they were all shit other than De Niro, Penn and DDL tbh
Hopkins and Kingsley are tremendous actors obviously but they were acting out very well written movies.

Penn really had that visceral quality in Mystic River. When he finds out about his daughter’s murder, that’s some really impacting work from him.

I don’t love that movie though I think Eastwood did a very good job. One of the things that I can very much praise about it though is that the actors all hit the absolute right notes and never felt like they were acting but rather fully embodying the characters. Penn, Robbins, Linney, Harden, Bacon, Fishburne, etc- authentic work from all of them.

Leo in The Revenant and Crowe in Gladiator are both extremely mediocre performances.

Hell, neither were even the best performances in their movies. That would be Tom Hardy (Revenant) and Joaquin Phoenix (Gladiator). Leo is just a bad actor, and Crowe's role in Gladiator didn't call for much expression.

Of the list, PSH in Capote and Penn in Mystic River.

Jamie Fox - Best celebrity impression I have ever seen.
that was amazing how he put on dark glasses and shook his head around. He really looked blind!

Leo in The Revenant and Crowe in Gladiator are both extremely mediocre performances.

Hell, neither were even the best performances in their movies. That would be Tom Hardy (Revenant) and Joaquin Phoenix (Gladiator). Leo is just a bad actor, and Crowe's role in Gladiator didn't call for much expression.

Of the list, PSH in Capote and Penn in Mystic River.
cant believe there is another human being hat doesnt buy the dicaprio hype.
he is not that good and people are kissing his ass because there's just a draught of talent around.

McConaughey’s performance in DBC is one of my favorites of all time. Leto seemed to get a lot of credit (and an Oscar) for his role as a supporting actor in the movie, but MM (also got a best actor Oscar, but less hyped than Leto) is what made that movie for me.

McConaughey’s performance in DBC is one of my favorites of all time. Leto seemed to get a lot of credit (and an Oscar) for his role as a supporting actor in the movie, but MM (also got a best actor Oscar, but less hyped than Leto) is what made that movie for me.

Leto really wasn't all that great in that movie.

Back