Who is the #1 contender at Welterweight?

johncola

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After Wonderboy won the title from Rory in June, it was expected that Maia would get the first shot, since he's clearly the most deserving contender. But then they instead set up Maia vs Condit to determine a true #1 contender.

But with Woodley's upset win over Robbie Lawler, should he jump in line ahead of the Maia/Condit winner? Or does he need 1 or 2 more wins first?

What do you reckon?

I get the joke of Condit being the champ, but Rory? I don't follow.

Wonderboy is #1 no question, Maia is for sure next though, u could argue he could be #1 aswell, but this garbage of woodley saying he wants to fight nick or gsp is just insane when hes got all these other WW's. Tyron wants that big payday though cant blame him!

wonderboy than closely following maia. they should get the next 2 title shots no matter what.

I get the joke of Condit being the champ, but Rory? I don't follow.

The #1 contender title.

Wonderboy is easily the most deserving contender.

Dominant win vs Rory and absolutely starched Hendricks like never before.

Wonderboy
Maia
Condit
Lawler

This is the order

Maia and Condit could flipflop depending on who wins

The #1 contender title.

Wonderboy is easily the most deserving champ.

Dominant win vs Rory and absolutely starched Hendricks like never before.
Alright, stupid me thought this was one of those jokes like when people call Khabib the champ and say he has 1 title defense so far. And yea, Wonderboy is clear #1.

Sorry to hear about your brain damage OP. That sucks.

The way to properly spell the name is Wonderboy, not Maia. That's another guy who hasn't beat a top 5 fighter yet while Wonderboy has beaten the #2 and #3 guy.

Alright, stupid me thought this was one of those jokes like when people call Khabib the champ and say he has 1 title defense so far. And yea, Wonderboy is clear #1.
No, you're correct. This was one of those stupid jokes. It's less about Rory being the true champ though. More about Rory/Wonderboy being a higher level fight than Lawler/Woodley, and thus more indicative of who the true top fighter in the division is.

No, you're correct. This was one of those stupid jokes. It's less about Rory being the true champ though. More about Rory/Wonderboy being a higher level fight than Lawler/Woodley, and thus more indicative of who the true top fighter in the division is.
haha, well you are just confusing the hell out of everyone on here.

I get Rory may have been winning his fight against Robbie on the scorecards, but lets not forget the fact that Robbie permanently damaged his nose.

If anything, Carlos is the real champion.

Wonderboy should get first crack at Woodley, followed by the winner of Condit v Maia

Wonderboy and it isn't close. This is about as clear of a contender as you can get.

I get the idea of a long time or dominant champ getting to pick his opponents for money fights, but should the guy who just won be trying to ask for a money fight on his first defense? Telling the number one contender that he needs to fight someone else while he chases paper doesn't quite sound right. I'm sure Dana and company had a good laugh at that, has he even responded to that whole thing?

Back