"Who is that guy" "UFC wont attract top talent" fighter pay argument......

Only the very top guys have the power to form a union. Anybody else is seen as replaceable.

I don't think you understand my post at all.

Most qb's can't run as fast as rb's. Football players aren't as good at baseball baseball players can't play basketball.
Because they've harnessed their athletic talent and directed it towards a major sport from a young age

You're one of those people that relate everything they do to money huh? Pointless having this conversation with you
Not everything, but sports? Hell yeah, you don't think a fighter would love a $70 million contract to play football? Of course they would, they're just not athletically gifted enough.

At least UFC pays better than the Olympics. We are about to witness a bunch of F level athletes run around Rio next month, what a joke. Everyone knows if a real athlete like Ronaldo trained sprinting for a year he would blitz Usain Bolt, or beat all those Kenyan chump change marathon guys.

At least UFC pays better than the Olympics. We are about to witness a bunch of F level athletes run around Rio next month, what a joke. Everyone knows if a real athlete like Ronaldo trained sprinting for a year he would blitz Usain Bolt, or beat all those Kenyan chump change marathon guys.
Lol nice!

Not everything, but sports? Hell yeah, you don't think a fighter would love a $70 million contract to play football? Of course they would, they're just not athletically gifted enough.

You're insinuating that all fighters only become fighters because they aren't gifted enough to earn money in other sports. Which I would say is a gross over assumption.

You're insinuating that all fighters only become fighters because they aren't gifted enough to earn money in other sports. Which I would say is a gross over assumption.
MMA Is full of C & D level athletes

stipe is a failed baseball player and boxer.

Aldo is a failed soccer player.

This isn't true as a blanket statement. There are a lot of factors at play. For instance, I'm not entirely convinced that Michael Jordan would have been world class at anything if the NBA didn't exist. You'd assume he could translate his skills to playing wide receiver, I guess... but not everyone is built for that sort of contact. He'd certainly never have made it at hockey or soccer, and his baseball aspirations were a joke.

Jordan's baseball career was far from a joke. It is one of the most insane athletic achievements we have probably ever seen.

Seriously, people shit on Jordan's baseball career but Jordan was able to walk off the street at 31 years old and hang with the top 1% of baseball players on the planet. Despite having literally no background in playing baseball. That is absolutely crazy. Sure he didnt post gaudy numbers by baseball standards but if the average person tried to do what he did, they would literally never hit the ball. Like ever. Hell, even peopel who have played baseball their entire lives could not do what Jordan did.

Jordan also improved dramaticly as he played more. There is very little doubt in my mind that Jordan could have been a pro ball player had he chosen that instead of basketball at a young age. Most baseball scouts who saw him play tend to agree.

If anything Jordan's stint in baseball proves that elite level athleticism is pretty transferable. Chances are an elite athlete in one sport would also be a really good athlete in another sport. Which is probably why so many elite athletes are multi sport athletes growing up.

Last edited:
Jordan's baseball career was far from a joke. It is one of the most insane athletic achievements we have probably ever seen.

Seriously, people shit on Jordan's baseball career but Jordan was able to walk off the street at 31 years old and hang with the top 1% of baseball players on the planet. Despite having literally no background in playing baseball. That is absolutely crazy. Sure he didnt post gaudy numbers by baseball standards but if the average person tried to do what he did, they would literally never hit the ball. Like ever. Hell, even peopel who have played baseball their entire lives could not do what Jordan did.

Jordan also improved dramaticly as he played more. There is very little doubt in my mind that Jordan could have been a pro ball player had he chosen that instead of basketball at a young age. Most baseball scouts who saw him play tend to agree.

If anything Jordan's stint in baseball proves that elite level athleticism is pretty transferable. Chances are an elite athlete in one sport would also be a really good athlete in another sport. Which is probably why so many elite athletes are multi sport athletes growing up.

What?

You think Jordan had no baseball background?

Jordan's baseball stint was not good. I'm an old man. I remember it well. If there was even an inkling that it wouldn't be an embarrasment, you don't think the White Sox would have called him up for a few days during the expanded roster period?

The reason they didn't is because they knew, in your words, that he would "literally never hit the ball."

Jordan was the original CM Punk. Given every advantage you could imagine... still couldn't cut it.

And this DESPITE being an amazing athlete. Just happened he wasn't an amazing baseball player.

What?

You think Jordan had no baseball background?

Jordan's baseball stint was not good. I'm an old man. I remember it well. If there was even an inkling that it wouldn't be an embarrasment, you don't think the White Sox would have called him up for a few days during the expanded roster period?

The reason they didn't is because they knew, in your words, that he would "literally never hit the ball."

Jordan was the original CM Punk. Given every advantage you could imagine... still couldn't cut it.

And this DESPITE being an amazing athlete. Just happened he wasn't an amazing baseball player.

You might remember Jordan's baseball stint but you clearly don't actually understand it. In context, what Jordan did was flat out amazing. Every single year there are hundreds of kids drafted who have lived and breathed baseball for their entire lives and most of them never get close to being as good as Jordan was as a 31 year old man who basically walked off the street. Jordan hit .252 in the Arizona fall league before going back to the NBA. .252 would have be the 35th highest average in the Arizona league last year. Again, that was a 31 year old man who hadnt played baseball in over a decade (and even then it was high school ball) playing at the 3rd highest level of professional baseball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l119&lid=119&t=l_bat

The fact that the White Sox didnt call him up means nothing unless you dont understand how baseball works. You can just call up anyone you want they have to be on the 40 man roster. Which Jordan wasn't.

What Jordan did was one of the most amazing athletic feats in a very long time. Even baseball people are in awe of what Jordan did.

You might remember Jordan's baseball stint but you clearly don't actually understand it. In context, what Jordan did was flat out amazing. Every single year there are hundreds of kids drafted who have lived and breathed baseball for their entire lives and most of them never get close to being as good as Jordan was as a 31 year old man who basically walked off the street. Jordan hit .252 in the Arizona fall league before going back to the NBA. .252 would have be the 35th highest average in the Arizona league last year. Again, that was a 31 year old man who hadnt played baseball in over a decade (and even then it was high school ball) playing at the 3rd highest level of professional baseball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l119&lid=119&t=l_bat

The fact that the White Sox didnt call him up means nothing unless you dont understand how baseball works. You can just call up anyone you want they have to be on the 40 man roster. Which Jordan wasn't.

What Jordan did was one of the most amazing athletic feats in a very long time. Even baseball people are in awe of what Jordan did.

No. I fully understand what Jordan did and the context in which he did it. I ate, drank, and slept baseball at that time.

People overplay the stint in the Arizona Fall League. A LOT. It's a short season for guys working out hitches in their swing, or getting some extra fielding work in, or learning to move from second base to shortstop, or just to let the trainers and scouts get a better look. The teams are made up of very good ballplayers on their way to the majors with ambitions of speeding up their progress, on one hand, and young unproven prospect who aren't even double A caliber on the other.

Jordan had like 50 at bats in that league, and there's really no qualitative measuring stick for those at bats. He could have been hitting against 18 year old kids with a season of single A behind them, or a pitcher who's trying to reinvent himself by switching to a side arm delivery or trying to perfect a knuckle ball. It's a frigging practice league. It's like spring training for guys who aren't MLB caliber but without the pressure of spring training.

In real, competative baseball, at the Double A level, Jordan hit .202 in around 450 at bats... with no power... as in, he hit a home run every 150 at bats, against Double A pitching.

Does it take some skill to hit safely in Double A ball, even just 20% of the time? Of course it does. But that's nowhere near elite level. There are guys working desk jobs as we speak who could do that but have sense enough to know they aren't talented enough to pursue a baseball career.

And you're wrong with your statement that every year there are players drafted who never get close to as good as Jordan was at 31 years of age. The vast majority of players that get drafted do at least as well as Jordan did. There aren't a lot of guys out there with minor league contracts hitting .175 over a season with 1 or 2 homeruns. That's bunk.

Now, if your benchmark really is a man "who basically walked off the street," then yeah, Jordan did pretty decent. But Michael Jordan was not a man off the street. He was arguably the best athlete on the planet at his very physical peak. And he wasn't good enough to be on his Double A squad on the merits of his baseball skills, let alone being good enough to make a run at MLB.

Also, while I'm at it, I might as well point out that it's you who doesn't understand the 40 man roster. Very few teams actually have 40 men on their 40 man roster, precisely because they want to keep a space or two open in case someone in their minor league system goes on a tear or comes into himself and they want to bring him up. You're nuts if you think the Chicago White Sox, with Michael frigging Jordan in their minor league system didn't have a space open on their 40 man roster. If they wanted to call him up it was a matter of purchasing his contract from the Barons and getting him a plane ticket.

All it takes is a few reporters to write a few flattering articles and people who want to believe the myth of Michael Jordan the Super Athlete who would have excelled at any athletic endeavor he put his mind to will take that bullshit and run with it like it's been proven in a lab and published in a pear review journal.

The truth? Michael Jordan was the worst ball player on a a pretty poor Double A baseball team made up more than 50% of guys who would never play in the major leagues, and only one single position player (Chris Snopek) who actually managed to play a full season in the majors after his 1994 stint with the Birmingham:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=dfd224a8

So you'll forgive me for repeating myself. His baseball aspiration were a joke.

Back