Who is Ronda ducking? Who is the UFC protecting her from?

BrockLanders

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Other than Cyborg, which seems like a legit weight issue, where are the tough fights for Ronda? I heard rumblings in a thread yesterday that the UFC is doing there best to steer her clear of other strong judo types and wrestlers. Who are these other chicks?

I'm legit curious. Is she beating everyone? Crushing cans? Somewhere in the middle?

Ronda.. so far so good. She's getting scarier by the day.
Anyway, the hype is annoying, just came here to reply and be polite with a sherbro.
I

I think it's arguable that Cyborg has faced just as tough competition as Ronda, and taken most of them out in a more impressive fashion.

Cyborg.

...but anyway, it's not like it's Ronda's bad thing her division is a joke. It's just silly listening to the over hype job...but of course that is their job. What is irritating is how people eat it up.

I think it's arguable that Cyborg has faced just as tough competition as Ronda, and taken most of them out in a more impressive fashion.

Only if you are severely biased towards striking.

...as is much of Sherdog.

Also Ronda's 5 best wins (Tate, Zingano, McMann, Davis, Kaufman) are as of similar quality to Cyborg's 1 best win (Coenen). Gina really doesn't have a resume.

They're not so much protecting her. It's not like there are all these 135ers out there that aren't signed. The talent pool is just so thin right now.

she spanks all the number one contenders in her weight div and Shitdog whines all fucking day

Other than the whole Cyborg fight not being able to come together, it's not like there's a bunch of great women fighters they're protecting her from. I don't have a problem with her fighting a girl like Bethe, it's important she stay active and she will go grey waiting for the division to catch up to her. I just think that it's pretty wack that her fight with Bethe was headlining a $60 ppv card.

she spanks all the number one contenders in her weight div and Shitdog whines all fucking day

Mmmhmm.

Ronda is going to go down as a historical figure to MMA much like Royce. No one is going to care that she couldn't hang with the fighters of the future, but that she was a prototype for a dominant woman's champion.

Get over it.

Other than Cyborg, which seems like a legit weight issue, where are the tough fights for Ronda? I heard rumblings in a thread yesterday that the UFC is doing there best to steer her clear of other strong judo types and wrestlers. Who are these other chicks?

I'm legit curious. Is she beating everyone? Crushing cans? Somewhere in the middle?

She stopped an olympic wrestling silver medalist in a minute.

WMMA just doesn't have a lot of good fighters, let alone great ones. Cyborg is one of the exceptions though. Having fought professional for a decade and was the #1 p4p female fighter before Ronda even made her amateur debut.

At one point UFC was protecting her from Holly Holm. Then she got signed and everyone jumped off the bandwagon.

They're not so much protecting her. It's not like there are all these 135ers out there that aren't signed. The talent pool is just so thin right now.

It may always be thin. 135ers are walking around at around 160 - 165 lbs of muscle. There are not a lot of women that size. Smaller population less talent.

115 will be the deepest division. 125-140 is a very realistic walk around weight for most women.

The UFC isn't "protecting" her from anyone... She has fought everyone they signed that is even remotely credible.

Has anyone forgotten?

Bethe was 9-0 when she fought Ronda

Cat was 9-0 when she fought Ronda

Alexis Davis was 17-4 when she fought Ronda

McMann was 7-0 when she fought Ronda

Caramouche was 8-2 when she fought Ronda

Kaufman as 15-1 when she fought Ronda

Budd was 2-1 when she fought Rousey but has since won 5 in a row

Gomes was 6-1 when she fought Rousey

Tate is 17-3 not including her 2 losses to Rousey

Look at the win/loss record of the people Rousey has fought. Holm is likely her next opponent after Tate and she is also currently undefeated. The UFC has literally brought every single woman that fights at 135 with a decent record to fight her. 3 of them were undefeated as well.

Cyborg fights in a different weight class. If she can make one of the two weight classes that exist in the UFC women's division the UFC will happily make that fight.

Ronda isn't ducking. UFC is protecting. UFC didn't want to do what was necessary to get world class athletes into WMMA - women like Icho Kaori.

Ronda isn't ducking. UFC is protecting. UFC didn't want to do what was necessary to get world class athletes into WMMA - women like Icho Kaori.

lol why would someone like Icho go from being a national hero and winning Olympic Gold every 4 years to fighting for UFC plastic in violent cage matches

It may always be thin. 135ers are walking around at around 160 - 165 lbs of muscle. There are not a lot of women that size. Smaller population less talent.

115 will be the deepest division. 125-140 is a very realistic walk around weight for most women.

This idea which has become extremely parroted on Sherdog isn't actually based on anything but theory though. Currently BW has more fighters worldwide than SW.

It might be true that more athletic women in general would be suited to fight at 115, but based on evidence so far more women suited to fight at 135 are attracted to MMA which is the only 'talent pool' that actually matters. Kind of like how average men wouldn't be 190-200 lbs lean and ripped in shape yet WW is one of the deepest men's divisions, if you went by the same theory for men FW should be the deepest division since the average man would be closer to 160-170 lbs in shape (granted FW is pretty deep, but maybe the analogy would be WBW=WW, WSW=FW, and WFLW=LW).

There are also more fighters at 125 than 135 or 115 so maybe that's the actual 'ideal' division to become the deepest.

If someone can maintain distance, that's their best chance to beat Ron. Easier said than done though, obviously.

Or if you have Cyborg power.

No, it isn't. Not even close. Cyborg has faced a lot of 135ers, and even 125ers, and out of them perhaps one or two legit ones, at most. And at least two of those opponents, got beat by fighters Ronda demolished.

She stopped an olympic wrestling silver medalist in a minute.

The fools in these threads would actually have to know a little something about MMA to know this, though. Stop shitting on their parade.

Back