Who is Backing Frankie Edgar?

I loke frankie but im a Max fan.

War Jerome!

As my title asks...

I, for one, am not. Edgar is older, slower, his cardio probably isn't as great as it once was and he hasn't been very active as of late: has only fought twice in the last two years (July, 2017-July, 2019) - one time he got knocked out by Brian Ortega and the other, where he won a decision over Cub Swanson.

Holloway has also been somewhat inactive; however, he has fought three times since July, 2017 and has even fought and went the 25-minute distance vs. Dustin Poirier in a losing effort. But it was quite close in some of the rounds.

I honestly think Holloway will have a somewhat-easy time picking Edgar apart here, or even getting a late stoppage. Holloway has shown that he gets better in every fight, even after his long layoff before fighting Ortega.

Thoughts?

This fight and Tsarukyan vs. Mercier are the only interesting fights on this whole PPV card...

I am of the same opinion on Edgar, Not only about being older and slower, but smaller. Halloway is taller and longer and keeps up and even increases the volume as the fight goes on. I don't do MMAath but Halloway beat Ortega with pretty easy. I am kind of tired of seeing Edgar in title fights, so hopefully if he loses he goes away.

in my humble opinion, Halloway probably shouldn't have taken the Poirier fight at LW. Poirier is much stronger and hits harder at LW.

The other fights I am...for lack of better terms...excited about are Koch/Stewart and Jotko/Barrialt. Both Stewart and Barrialt have tough tests here and I am intrigued to see if they both rebound from losses because they both seem to have that potential to climb the ladder.

EDIT: Not an Edgar hater at all, love watching him fight, but his time has come and gone in my opinion.

it's hard to say after Max's feast at the CTE buffet courtesy of dustin diamond

he sounds super punch drunk in the recent promo vids and the guy always has a hard time making 145
can only assume it will be even harder after a stint at 155

feeling the upset here, frankie by flash KO and max holloway has a maynard-esque career after this

rational men seek THE ANSWER,
while dogmatists think they are BLESSED

giphy.gif

War Frankie!

Has he ever fought someone the same size as him? You could even see Mendez was built like a brick shithouse compared to him.

P4P one of the most skilled of all time.

Its a nonsense title shot in the first place. Its absurd to get KTFO by a contender, win a single fight, then fight for the title again. He was only on a two fight win streak after getting dominated by Aldo to begin with.

Volk should have fought for the title and he'll be next now, but this isn't a fight that needed to take place.

So long as Holloway can still make 145lbs without killing himself now that he's done a fight at lightweight, he should get the job done and move along.

Pulling for Frankie but I really like Max as well.

Id like Frankie to win, but I doubt it. This is probably his last title shot of his career. Hes going to have a hard time with Max being the much longer guy.

I don't get the sentiment around here

You don't think he's going to win so your not cheering for him? Explains all the Masvidal fans everywhere now

Frankie is an absolute legend, a fighters fighter, a genuine good guy and someone who's gotten where he is through hard work and grit

Do I think he is going to win? probably not -- BUT I WILL BE SUPPORTING HIM 100 PERCENT

TEAM FRANKIE -- He's made a career of winning fights he's too small, no weak, and too slow to win

@Frankie Baby! @Frank McEdgar

I love Frankie and am a huge fan. That being said, he is taking another undeserved title shot and holding back more deserving fighters from getting their shots

For that reason I’m rooting for Max. Max vs Volk is the real champ vs #1 contender fight and it’s not close
I don't really care for Frankie either but I am curious what Title shots, (with the possible exception of this one that he had already been granted prior to losing an extremely short notice fight) have been undeserved?

I'm guessing you're going to site Aldo one which he got coming off a loss for the Title a division above which 90% of people felt he was robbed in.

I have no problem with him being given that shot though since it didn't really rob anyone at FW at the time of getting there shot since Aldo had already cleared out the top contenders prior too that fight and it was to early to give Mendez the rematch.

rooting for frankie but dont think he wins it will be surprised if this goes 5rds

but who knows maybe the war max had with dustin took some of his chin off

My boy Arman Tsarukyan going to make a name for himself

watch out

Oh I know Tsarukyan is going to put OAM on his highlight reel. Dude gave Makhachev a tough fight on short notice so I expect him to deliver here.

Frankie is a scrapper and you can never count him out.

Frankie will win a wide decision. He will mix up his wrestling and boxing. Also, Max is too big for 145 and should move up to 155. The weight cut will likely drain him. Finally, Max was just in a brutal war with Poirier, which took something out of him.

As my title asks...

I, for one, am not. Edgar is older, slower, his cardio probably isn't as great as it once was and he hasn't been very active as of late: has only fought twice in the last two years (July, 2017-July, 2019) - one time he got knocked out by Brian Ortega and the other, where he won a decision over Cub Swanson.

Holloway has also been somewhat inactive; however, he has fought three times since July, 2017 and has even fought and went the 25-minute distance vs. Dustin Poirier in a losing effort. But it was quite close in some of the rounds.

I honestly think Holloway will have a somewhat-easy time picking Edgar apart here, or even getting a late stoppage. Holloway has shown that he gets better in every fight, even after his long layoff before fighting Ortega.

Thoughts?

This fight and Tsarukyan vs. Mercier are the only interesting fights on this whole PPV card...

Me, since like 2008. Does that mean I think he'll win? not really if I'm being honest, but I do think he's a live dog. Holloway has never really fought someone like edgar. Also, Holloway was biting on a lot takedown feints from poirier which resulted in him eating heavy punches. If frankie can get max worried about the takedowns, he has a chance. If fraankie can actually get the takedowns and establish top control then his chances increase even more.

Last edited:
Its a nonsense title shot in the first place. Its absurd to get KTFO by a contender, win a single fight, then fight for the title again. He was only on a two fight win streak after getting dominated by Aldo to begin with.

Volk should have fought for the title and he'll be next now, but this isn't a fight that needed to take place.

So long as Holloway can still make 145lbs without killing himself now that he's done a fight at lightweight, he should get the job done and move along.

No doubt it's a personal favor from Dana, but yea he doesnt deserve it. He got his ass whupped by Aldo, I fully expect an even worse beating handed out from Maximus

Frankie's not fighting Aldo. He's got this.

Me. This is a great legacy fight for Edgar. My cousin already made a mini breakdown on Sherdog...

Edit:Edgar by third round submission or TKO due to ground and pound.

If Edgar does to Max what he did to Yair I will lose my shit and be smilling like a 10 year old boy at a candy shop all night.

Frankie is giving up wayyyy too much size and reach in this matchup.

When Max decides not to use his face to block punches, his movement is super slick. I dunno how Frankie's gonna manage to close distance to land anything on him. I wreckon he's gonna get hit 5 or 6 times before he closes in to land his 1 or 2 shots.

Max's legs and body are there to be hit all day. He does a good job at sliding out of the way of punches, but he leaves his legs exposed for kicks. He also does a great job of leaning forward and making himself seem closer to his opponent than he really is, but again, the body and legs are there and those don't lie.

Last edited:
Back