Who is a bigger draw? Jose Aldo or Alistair Overeem?

It's probably Overeem when it comes to money.

Reem for me. He somehow manages to keep the belief alive that he can be some kind of contender so you want to see what happens, plus its generally really fun to watch him when he's wrecking people or getting KO'd.

Aldo, on the other hand, seems to be completely coasting right now.

Not a casual, not a just bleeder, not a TapouT bro, or any of that. I'd pay to see Overeem over Aldo any day. Aldo is great and all, but the mystique vanished after the Hominick fight for me. That combined with the fence-grabbing & intentionally attacking KZ's dislocated shoulder has turned me off of Joe-Say.

Say what you will about the Horse Meat, but somebody's getting hurt badly any time Overeem competes. More often than not, his striking is painfully effective, and his ground game is criminally underrated. I like watching him kill or be killed.

Obviously Overeem.
He has several different fanbases that identify with him:
1. Kickboxing fans (because of his decorated kickboxing background)
2. Grappling fans (because he boasts Abu Dhabi credentials as a European champion, and has submitted excellent black belts in MMA fights, such as Vitor Belfort)
3. Weight lifters and bodybuilders (because he is one of them)
4. Black people (because he is black, it wouldn't surprise me if Obama tunes in to the UFC but only if Overeem is fighting)

Hahahaha, you were doing so well until you went for a fourth fanbase and went full retard.

downey-2.jpg

HW's sell better than the smaller weight classes. Overeem just has the look of someone who would be a big draw. If he had followed up the Brock win with a nice run at the title he would have been one of the biggest PPV draws for the UFC. His look + win streak = lots of buys from the casuals. I bet Lorenzo really wants him to turn his career for the better.

1) Aldo, although I find him pretty boring lately he's still #1 or #2 p4p.

2) Casuals. Reem looks like a genetically enhanced monster who beat Lesnar and Mir. Aldo is relatively boring since joining the UFC and has been beating people casuals never heard of.

Aldo is actually one of the few fighters (along with Pettis, Anderson, Vitor and Jones) that I would pay to watch regardless of who they fight. On the other side, I have little to no interest in the HW division other than Cain, Werdum, JDS and Hunt. It's usually just a bunch of sloppy, overweight brawlers with no gas tank.
The only thing worse than the UFC's HW division is the women's bantamweight/the flighweight division.

And PPV numbers are not the only way to measure a fighter's popularity and marketability, especially if he is from Brazil. I've heard that he and Vitor are the two most popular and recognizable names in Brazil now that Anderson is out. Given that the country is the UFC's second market, it means a lot. Even tho he sells around 250.000-300.000 in the US

Is there any Brazilian who could give actual PPV numbers or ratings for Aldo/Anderson/Vitor/JDS fights?

And PPV numbers are not the only way to measure a fighter's popularity and marketability, especially if he is from Brazil. I've heard that he and Vitor are the two most popular and recognizable names in Brazil now that Anderson is out. Given that the country is the UFC's second market, it means a lot. Even tho he sells around 250.000-300.000 in the US

Is there any Brazilian who could give actual PPV numbers or ratings for Aldo/Anderson/Vitor/JDS fights?

I've never seen someone disclosing PPV numbers there. Maybe it's because the UFC events are usually sold as a monthly package.

But no doubt Aldo is huge there -- there's a reason he is called "the people's champ".
The ratings for Aldo x KZ: 12 points (39% share). That's 3x the ratings of the second place in the same time slot. That's also a record for an MMA fight in Brazil -- tied with Silva x Weidman I.

Considering that Brazil is the UFC's second biggest market and Jose is Brazil's last champion standing... I would suck it up to him in if I were in Dana's shoes.

source:
http://maquinadoesporte.uol.com.br/...e-aldo-iguala-recorde-de-audiencia_24775.html

For me? Aldo. The average person, probably Reem. Sucks to say it.

Why? Is reem not skilled enough for you? I dont understand this perception that the lighter you are the more technical and skilled you are. There's also this other perception that if you dont think featherweights and lighter are the pinnacle of mma you arent a real "fan"

I've never seen someone disclosing PPV numbers there. Maybe it's because the UFC events are usually sold as a monthly package.

But no doubt Aldo is huge there -- there's a reason he is called "the people's champ".
The ratings for Aldo x KZ: 12 points (39% share). That's 3x the ratings of the second place in the same time slot. That's also a record for an MMA fight in Brazil -- tied with Silva x Weidman I.

Considering that Brazil is the UFC's second biggest market and Jose is Brazil's last champion standing... I would suck it up to him in if I were in Dana's shoes.

source:
http://maquinadoesporte.uol.com.br/...e-aldo-iguala-recorde-de-audiencia_24775.html

thanks for the info

When I watched but didn't really care about Boxing it was all about the HWs.

In MMA I actually care about technique etc so Aldo by a mile.

I'm not a casual, and I'm not a fan of Reem and have nothing against Aldo, but what a 145 lb fighter does will never matter as much as what a HW does. That's just the way it is, Reem is and always will be a bigger draw because although it's nice that you're the best at one of the dozen weight classes, people really care who's the best of all and that's always the best HW.

Back