Who invented the tap out?

crovax612

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you guys know which Martial Art started using it? I'm guessing it was either Catch Wrestling or Judo. Thoughts?

I think it may have been used in the days of the ancient Greek Olympics, I could be wrong but even if im right it means it is old but not when it was created.

I didn't invent the tap out, I just perfected it.

randy%20bloom.tapout.scotty.jpg

Some days, it just feels like I did....

Pankrationists would raise a finger (not the middle one) to signal defeat.

I knew my MA Honours in Classical Civilisation would come in handy one day.

Pankrationists would raise a finger (not the middle one) to signal defeat.

I knew my MA Honours in Classical Civilisation would come in handy one day.
and they would usually just die

and they would usually just die

there was a story about a pankrationist who had won all of his fights. In his last fight, his opponent got his back and started to chocke him. He grabbed his opponents foot and started to squeeze.

He broke three bones in his opponent's foot, causing him to tap. But he lost conciousness and died.

I think the tap out is an instinctual thing. When you get choked or hurt you kinda hit your opponent "natually". That is kind of a tap out.

Wrestling and judo did for a long time but it no one really mastered it until Helio.

I think the tap out is an instinctual thing. When you get choked or hurt you kinda hit your opponent "natually". That is kind of a tap out.

I disagree, I think people feel that way because it's been so ingrained in our minds from watching countless mma fights/grappling matches. Instinct is to push yourself away when your head or any other part of you is grabbed by another animal. Guillotine a dog (not hard) to see what I mean.

My girl friends last name is Tapp - coincidence?? i think not.

Back