who introduced Muay Thai to America s and when?

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by A Muse of Fire, Jan 18, 2015.

1. A Muse of Fire

A Muse of Fire Brown Belt

I'd like to know more about the history of MT in USA and brazil. Wondering who introduced it.

2. Johntreksmith

Johntreksmith Purple Belt

JCVD. duh

3. blewgums

blewgums Vintage Buick Racing Bastard

Travelling, I work at many different ports
    I looked it up on google, to help you out. MT was introduced, and I quote, by "Yo' momma." In 1947. Yo' momma's old. She introduced it in Brazil in '46

4. Cocakillbana

Cocakillbana Black Belt

Kit Cope.

5. Whitman

Whitman Blue Belt

Was going to guess, either Kit Cope or Master Toddy. Muay Thai GOATS.

6. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

What do you mean by introduced it? Like a fighter that came over and exposed American martial artists to it? The first person to teach over here? The first to expose it to the masses?

7. Jarl

Jarl White Belt

Surachai Sirisute is the first MT instructor in the US. He even sent a team to compete in the 1982 Freestyle Martial Arts Championship in Thailand.

MT in Brazil came from a TKD practitioner, Nelio Borges de Souza who visited Thailand and brought it home. Chute Boxe is derived from de Souza's teachings. I also heard that Kick no Oni, an anime about Tadashi Sawamura's so-called exploits was popular in Brazil and popularized MT and Japanese Kickboxing there. I know there's a strong Kyokushin presence in Brazil so I imagine like the Netherlands, there must've been exchanges between the various TKD, Karate, Capoeira, and MT circles.

8. A Muse of Fire

A Muse of Fire Brown Belt

Any and all of this. How did MT become assocaited with Wand and Anderson Silva?

9. AutoFire

AutoFire Yellow Belt

Ajarn Chai did the most to promote it and move it to the public in the US as one of the first. I don't think he maintained a school but taught seminars and programs like that. I think the early schools or first schools were in Ny chinatown in the late seventies and the first school i think that really got it going was the Muay Thai academy in LA which is still open. Don't know the exact timings and dates as it was before my time but that was what i had heard. Would love to see a full progression of how things developed in the US if any one has any links or detailed info.

10. Leg Kick

Leg Kick White Belt

Chute Boxe was founded by people that were taught by Nelio Naja, I read that it was a mix of boxing with taekwondo more than muay thai.

I read also that the people from Brazil actually learned their "muay thai" from Tom Harinck (the dutch guy from Chakuriki). So, Anderson and Wand and all the Chute Boxe fighters learned from them, they used to call that muay thai, so it spread that way, the name.
    Muay Thai purists, and especially thai fighters I imagine, probably wouldn't agree that that was muay thai but they call it muay thai so..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015