who here's blown their fingers off with Fireworks?

my dad had this friend that drilled a hole in a gigantic rock and put in gun powder. as he was trying to fill up the hole, the friction caused a spark and the entire rock exploded. he lost his right arm, and one of the pieces of rock hit his left eye, and is now blind in that eye.

man I'm sorry but when I hear about shit like that and these NFL guys that blew their fingers off I just cant control my urge to start laughing. real story where I almost made spikes "1000 ways to die". I had run out of lighter fluid for my BBQ so I thought a great way to light the charcoals would be to use the gasoline I had in the garage any way.

My friend was over and were having some Molson's and I thought it would be a good idea to pour gasoline on an open flame well long story short the flame follows the gasoline arc back to the can my friend yells and runs I fling the can towards my house and miraculously it doesn't ignite...I have mentioned several times on these boards that I gots a praying momma because I should today right now look like the toxic avenger

I had a Black Cat blow up in my hand. I told my buddy to light it and I would throw it. They had fast wicks and it exploded right near my ear. It was at night so I instantly couldn't see anything, my hand went numb, and I went deaf. I thought for sure I lost a finger but I couldn't see anything so I kept asking my friend to look at my hand to see if they were all there. Anyways, nothing happened. I was okay within like ten minutes.

What's interesting about Black Cats is that they easily blow up GI Joes but won't even break the skin if you light one off in your hand.

Probably half the war room.

Had a few Black Cats and a ton of firecrackers from Mexico blow-up in my hand as a kid, just made my hand go numb for a while and my ears feel like I had just left a Motorhead concert.

I had a friend in high school order a book about how to make homemade bombs.

He blew off all 4 of his fingers and only his thumb remained. One of his fingers apparently stuck into the wall due to the force. Pretty cool.

Fixed.

I had a friend in high school order a book about how to make homemade bombs.

He blew off all 4 of his fingers and only his thumb remained. One of his fingers apparently stuck into the wall due to the force. Pretty gross.

In high school we found an Improved Munitions book. We hit the mother load from a seismograph crew that left their vehicle unlocked over night.
Eventually the cops came to school and chewed us out.

Thre was a kid at my high school that died from a firework explosion. I was friends with his older sister. He had put a Roman candle inside a metal tube that had been a bike pump and it exploded. Got shrapnel in his heart. I always wondered if he or someone else had crushed down the candle as that is a way to make it explode on purpose. But if he knew it was going to explode I would imagine that he wouldn't have been holding it.

On to a different story. Where I live Halloween is the big night for fireworks. So one time many years ago I ran into an acquaintance of mine while buzzed on something. He tells me that he just blew off a couple of his fingers with some fireworks. So I look at his hand and I figure it's just part of his costume. He has fake blood all over his hand but since I was kind of out of it I couldn't figure out how he was making it look like he actually had two fingers missing. My mind was blown. Finally he admits that he had cut off two of his fingers in shop class the month before. A least he had a good sense of humour about it.

Last edited:
I haven't seen firecrackers being sold since the 80's.
They are illegal in all 50 states of America.
R.I.P BlackCats

The only thing worth a shit anymore are the big mortars you can buy. Some of them are pretty powerful, surprised they are still legal to be honest.

That and the tannerite/ reactive target type stuff , those are pretty awesome too.

I haven't seen firecrackers being sold since the 80's.
They are illegal in all 50 states of America.
R.I.P BlackCats

I'm skeptical about this. As recently as the early 2000's I was buying them legally every time I went to the east coast to visit family. I haven't been back there since 2005 but my brothers still talk about buying them and it never comes up as something they have to hide.

Incoming story that should have ended in death:

4 of my brothers and I were deciding what our big 4th of July extravaganza would be and what we came up with was to build a plane out of wood and use as many fireworks as we could strap to it for propulsion as would fit on it. My youngest brother was elected to be the pilot(it had no controls so he was more of a passenger) and we launched it off the top of the house.

It had enough thrust to make it slide but once off the roof it fell like a lead balloon and crashed onto my dads work truck and exploded. Luckily the brave(crying) pilot had fallen off before it went over the edge.

The damage it caused was enough to total the truck and got me a pretty bad assbeating from the old man.

Good times.

I'm skeptical about this. As recently as the early 2000's I was buying them legally every time I went to the east coast to visit family. I haven't been back there since 2005 but my brothers still talk about buying them and it never comes up as something they have to hide.

Incoming story that should have ended in death:

4 of my brothers and I were deciding what our big 4th of July extravaganza would be and what we came up with was to build a plane out of wood and use as many fireworks as we could strap to it for propulsion as would fit on it. My youngest brother was elected to be the pilot(it had no controls so he was more of a passenger) and we launched it off the top of the house.

It had enough thrust to make it slide but once off the roof it fell like a lead balloon and crashed onto my dads work truck and exploded. Luckily the brave(crying) pilot had fallen off before it went over the edge.

The damage it caused was enough to total the truck and got me a pretty bad assbeating from the old man.

Good times.

He means " real " fireworks , the silver kegs , m80s and such. The stuff they sell these days is,neutered waaaaay down. My dad ( 66 yrs old ) used to tell me stories about blowing up mailboxes and throwing them in creeks and having fish float up to the top in the 50s/60s , you aren't buying that kind of stuff anymore.

I don't know anyone who's ever been legitimately hurt from fireworks though I've had a very close call once.
My buddy's and I lit a Brazilian bomb shell which is basically a mortar and instead of shooting up and bursting it just blew up on the ground and right in our faces.
Lucky we were at a distance but it was a bright flash that decorated us for a second.
Could have gone really bad if we were close to it or if we went up to it to see if it was a dud.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone who's ever been legitimately hurt from fireworks thought I've had a very close call once.
My buddy's and I lit a Brazilian bomb shell which is basically a mortar and instead of shooting up and bursting it just blew up on the ground and right in our faces.
Lucky we were at a distance but it was a bright flash that decorated us for a second.

hqdefault.jpg

Wow I was thinking about making a piccolo pete bomb and wondered if I could get on disability if I blew some fingers off. 5 seconds later I click on Mayberry lounge and see this thread. Holy shit. Mind Blown.

I have an uncle that had a friend he used to make bombs with. They would make bombs with no shrapnel such as a balloon or water bed mattress filled with oxygen acetylene. Then they would set up traps like putting one under the hood of each others car or have a door knob to the house set it off when you touch it. In the car it sends the hood flying 100 feet in the air and blows the windshield in. If you have long hair that is going to fly back too. It can be set off with static electricity. Once they were carrying a water bed mattress full through the desert and they woke up later. It had went off.
His friend had a few acres property with old cars and junk on it and people would come on his property and steal stuff so he made a pipe bomb and put it in a newer clean looking microwave and put it on his property as a trap. His ex-wife opened it while he was not there and and died instantly. Her two sons were there. It blew one of the boys legs off and his brother had to carry him to the street. My uncles friend got life in jail and had two (that I know of) unsuccessful attempts on his life.

Back