Who here watched Affliction Banned?

I remember I bought PPV at a great website called ....youtube or something.

Fedor confirmed what anyone with a brain already knew, that the Pride HWs were leagues above the UFC HWs.

I remember being away from home that month and not having access to a television so I had to read the play by play on Sherdog.

Tim said "I have never been hit that hard." in the post fight press conference. He could have said he was caught or whatever, but he was straight up about it. Fedor is just faster and harder hitting than anyone he had ever fought.. and he had fought many people by that point. Fedor was really cool too, he helped Tim up and hugged him, patted him on the back.

Tim had a really good chin at that point in his career still, and was a very capable opponent without a doubt. Two fights prior to this match, Brandon Vera cracked Tim in the jaw so hard that it shattered Vera's hand in 3 places (unfortunately for Vera, that was the first punch he threw in the fight, making it a long night for him; fighting after a year long layoff with one hand against big Timmy for 3 rounds) and Tim didn't seem affected by it in the slightest. Next fight after that, Tim was outboxing little Nog, which not many people expected.

That fight couldn't have happened at a better time or with a better outcome. The UFC was dogging Fedor hard and a lot of fans were buying into the propaganda. Fedor made short work of one of the most dominant UFC HW champs and made it look easy. Epic.

Watched it live with the guys from my judo club, had a big party. Still talk about that night to this day.

Tim said "I have never been hit that hard." in the post fight press conference. He could have said he was caught or whatever, but he was straight up about it. Fedor is just faster and harder hitting than anyone he had ever fought.. and he had fought many people by that point. Fedor was really cool too, he helped Tim up and hugged him, patted him on the back.

Tim had a really good chin at that point in his career still, and was a very capable opponent without a doubt. Two fights prior to this match, Brandon Vera cracked Tim in the jaw so hard that it shattered Vera's hand in 3 places (unfortunately for Vera, that was the first punch he threw in the fight, making it a long night for him; fighting after a year long layoff with one hand against big Timmy for 3 rounds) and Tim didn't seem affected by it in the slightest. Next fight after that, Tim was outboxing little Nog, which not many people expected.

That fight couldn't have happened at a better time or with a better outcome. The UFC was dogging Fedor hard and a lot of fans were buying into the propaganda. Fedor made short work of one of the most dominant UFC HW champs and made it look easy. Epic.

I consider that fight the very end of Fedor's prime. He gradually declined after that in my eyes, despite getting some W's. I still consider him the GOAT, though.

Both Affliction cards were great, that promotion had a shit load of promise, but then they got Barnett'd.

Yeah, what luck. If I remember right, the first time the California Athletic Commission did a random drug test was against Barnett for their third event. I had a ticket to see it in the Honda Center in Anaheim. My main reason to go was to see Fedor. I eventually saw him in San Jose against Werdum. Would have much rather preferred to see him beat Barnett a year or two earlier.

I purchased both Affliction PPV's. And I was a very poor college student at the time.

Too bad we didn't get Affliction: Trilogy. I was so disappointed when it got cancelled. Affliction cards were fun especially Tito's announcing at a 131 years old.

great event. Rothwell - Arlovski was a blast to watch

It's hard to imagine I'll ever enjoy watching another fight as much as I enjoyed the Fedor fights around that time. His fighting style was so entertaining and he somehow seemed both unbeatable and vulnerable at the same time.

Yeah, what luck. If I remember right, the first time the California Athletic Commission did a random drug test was against Barnett for their third event. I had a ticket to see it in the Honda Center in Anaheim. My main reason to go was to see Fedor. I eventually saw him in San Jose against Werdum. Would have much rather preferred to see him beat Barnett a year or two earlier.

I was at Fedor/Hendo. I would give just about anything to have seen Fedor vs anyone at a Pride show back in the day.

I consider that fight the very end of Fedor's prime. He gradually declined after that in my eyes, despite getting some W's. I still consider him the GOAT, though.

Yeah, same here. In between the sylvia and arlovski fights are when he lost to blagoi in sambo also i think. So whatever happened in his personal life or training/physical decline seems to be the last half of 2008.
It's really a shame he didnt come over to the ufc in 2007, he would have fought tim to unify the belts, defended against randy, gonzaga, nog, brock, mir, and probably carwin. I dont think he'd have issues until he came up against cain or jds and by that point he'd have a bunch of defenses under his belt that even the ufc only fans couldnt deny.

Last edited:
I did, it was awesome. Apart from Megadeth.

Weirdly, does anyone remember nu-metal also-ran Wayne Static accompanying someone to the cage?! that was the weirdest moment of the whole event.

What I always wondered is how the hell Affliction came up with fighter pay for the event.

Fedor Emelianenko def. Tim Sylvia
Emelianenko — $300,000 (no win bonus) (we all know the details that he walked away with much more than this)
Sylvia — $800,000

Andrei Arlovski def. Ben Rothwell
Arlovski — $750,000 (includes $250,000 win bonus)
Rothwell — $250,000

Josh Barnett def. Pedro Rizzo
Barnett — $300,000 (no win bonus)
Rizzo — $70,000

Mark Hominick def. Savant Young
Hominick — $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
Young — $7,000

Renato “Babalu” Sobral def. Mike Whitehead
Sobral — $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
Whitehead — $50,000

Matt Lindland def. Fabio Negao
Lindland — $300,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus)
Negao — $20,000

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira def. Edwin Dewees
Nogueira — $50,000 (no win bonus)
Dewees — $15,000

Mike Pyle def. JJ Ambrose
Pyle — $20,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
Ambrose — $5,000

Vitor Belfort def. Terry Martin
Belfort — $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus)
Martin — $30,000

Paul Buentello def. Gary Goodridge
Buentello — $80,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
Goodridge — $25,000

Ray Lamaza vs. Justin Levens – Canceled due to time constraints
Lamaza — $3,000
Levens — $6,000

How as fans can we see this is just insane yet nobody working with Affliction saw this? Every fighter on this card would've fought for half the money they did and you could still consider they got paid above and beyond there worth. Plus there wasn't really any other options for most of those fighters.

For as great as the two shows where the pay scale is the first thing that always pops in my head when I think back to Affliction events.

It was a really awsome promotion

Back