Who here watched Affliction Banned?

mma midwest fan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was reading the stuff about Tim Sylvia's retirement and it made me think of when the first real MMA fight that I get excited about after just becoming a fan of the sport. I'm of course referring to his fight with Fedor at Affliction Banned. He had an $800k guarantee.

Megadeth played at the event, too. It was fucking weird. Affliction really didn't know what they were doing, but it was fun to see them try. UFC counter-programmed with Anderson Silva fighting at LHW against Irvin. I remember bouncing back between the two.

It was a great night of MMA, and it was the first time I saw Fedor fight live (not in person, but on TV). It blew me away.

Anyone else remember that fateful night?

That was one of my favorite events. It's actually on Fight Pass right now.

I was with some very UFC centric friends who thought Tim would wipe the floor with the fat Russian guy, so when he got Zulu'd it was fairly epic.

I watched it live. was a great event! super stacked

i think i was watching the goat go up in weight and destroying james irvin. same night

Yeah, I watched both Affliction cards and they were both fun.

I just checked their Wiki entries I just realized they only did 100K PPV buyrate for the first event and 90K PPV buyrate for their second event.

The amount they paid the fighters is the amount the UFC should be paying.

I remember hating Affliction: Banned. It seemed like it was trying to be a big middle finger to the UFC and it didn't work.

I bought the PPV. Really fun night of fights, but two things stuck out. One was, holy crap did Big Timmy embarrass himself (remember, he wasn't yet a walking punchline.) And second, all the fighters falling out of the ring was not a good look.

And I got a free poster for ordering it!

Both Affliction cards were great, that promotion had a shit load of promise, but then they got Barnett'd.

I just checked their Wiki entries I just realized they only did 100K PPV buyrate for the first event and 90K PPV buyrate for their second event.

you do know why affliction no longer exists right? And how do you feel about bellator's fighter pay given the TV numbers they put up.

On the one hand, it was good to see the fighters get a good pay day. But Affliction also proved that you can't just throw around money and put nonstars on a card and expect it to sell.

I watched both and they were great. Even got a couple posters and stuff from when they were promoting those cards.

Still makes me sad Fedor vs Barnett got cancelled. Never forget.

Very fun card, I ordered both ppvs and had promotional posters for them, including the infamous 'Trilogy' event that never was.

im pretty sure i watched it on delay, but definiitely a fun event :)

and yeah when you look at their sales and their costs its pretty obvious why they died

I had just grad'd highschool loved fedor, ordered it, had friends over and one bailed just before the fedor fight to c his awful gf(like srs bad gf, not jst a frind jealous thing, like mean german vegan who never laughs) but yeah fedor bopped Tim and I was like DO YOU SEE!!!! He's the greatest.

I also remember the bad megadeath at their shows. . .

I ordered the first one and saw the second at a bar.

If the UFC wanted to go bankrupt. They can't pay everyone that much

Back