Who here thinks the fox deal was a mistake?

English bars > American bars.

I like to think we are closing that gap, but it will take more time yet.

Bars are for the middle class Inga, us working men drink in pubs! :)

Just like to say you are probably the best poster on here atm, keep up the good work.

Spike didn't air the prelims. Their fight cards were only four fights long. That's why it seemed easier to follow. If you wanted to watch the other fights, you had to wait 2-3 weeks after an event for some dude to upload them to the internet from UFC.com.

True, but they also didn't have prelim "headliners" that I usually want to see back then.

For me the problem is the minimum of 80$+ a month if I want to watch all their fights. Mainstream sports do not cost that much to watch.

This is the real issue. PPV model is not main stream and never will be. They either need to switch to a new model alltogether or back to special events that are worht buying.

There are too many cards because they need to provide content for Fox, FS1, FS2 and fightpass. They always sprinkle in 1 or 2 fights worth watching with 9 or 10 fights with no name guys. So now to catch those 1 or 2 fights I want to see on those cards I have to committ 3 or 4 Saturdays a month to UFC.

The problem is that they added two new methods of distribution (Fox and Fightpass) but still expect us to pay for 12-14 PPV's a year

That's absurd, nobody expects the average fan to buy that many PPV's

For me the problem is the minimum of 80$+ a month if I want to watch all their fights. Mainstream sports do not cost that much to watch.

Do you really not have a clue how much it would cost you to watch say all 2430 Baseball games that happen in a season?

Bigger mistake was the UFC jacking up the price of PPVs to pubs/bars/restaurants. This has dried up the venues that actually show UFC live anymore. Even certain locations of Boston Pizza and Buffalo Wild Wings will not show and will recommend a location that still will show events.

By lowering the amount of venues that show the fights, they are quelling the interest in UFC and it is working dramatically. So many of the friends/acquaintances I know that used to go out to the pub to watch an event do not now, and really could care less.

Very good point....but I think it may have to do with the ppv providers. Not just ufc

That deal meant lots of cash for the ufc but it screwed the fans.

A single specialty men's channel which has a niche audience, or multiple channels backed and supported by one of the largest television companies in the world?

Yeah that's kind of shady when you think about. They got a ton more money yet the fans cost to watch has also gone up.

Spike paid UFC 35 million a year
Fox pays UFC 100 million a year...

Not to mention their is more live MMA on tv than ever before because of it. Seems like the Fox deal wasn't a mistake.

How did it screw the fans?

FS1 shows more events than Spike ever did. Plus it gives the sport a legit sport platform.

How did it screw the fans?

FS1 shows more events than Spike ever did. Plus it gives the sport a legit sport platform.
People who say stuff like that have no idea what they're talking about. Like I mentioned earlier, Spike never aired any of the FN prelims and broadcast only two of the PPV prelims. Remember how fans had to rally to get Kid's debut against Mighty Mouse put on Facebook because it was initially a dark match?

well i'm sure the majority of muslims are not illegal immigrants in uk your on a island. you think they swam from the mediterranean sea and then to the atlantic to get to you guys? its not like mainland europe where illegal immigrants can just walk to any country they want.

uk is a melting pot, accept it.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

A better question is "WHY do people feel it was a mistake?" if they feel it was a mistake.

It's one thing to take the negative position (as is usually the case on Sherdog), it's a different thing to EXPLAIN why you're taking that position.

I think you can certainly make the argument that the Fox deal forced the UFC to promote more fights, which caused them to expand rosters thus diluting the product.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend about whether or not we actually see more fights now that there are free cards. We both kind of felt like we miss more fights now than we did before.

How many people on here are that dense to think Fox isn't a major upset from Spike TV?!

I had an interesting conversation with a friend about whether or not we actually see more fights now that there are free cards. We both kind of felt like we miss more fights now than we did before.

They used to do eight free cards with four fights each for the year. Usually only showing guys from TUF. There wasn't that much of anything to miss. It wasn't like now either where you regularly get big names like Overeem, Shogun, Hendo, BJ, Vitor, Machida, etc either. The Spike cards were not good.

Back