Who here has the best job?

I agree man. Corporate tax rates are criminally low as is, when you get into the evasion and legal loopholes it's sickening. Trickle down doesn't work, it's bullshit.

tumblr_ksczlyQbeU1qzx4k0o1_500.jpg

Brutal. Still, NZ is scenic, and if you craft business-friendly laws and have low enough taxes :)) ), you should be able to attract more filming crews there in the future.

Oh, don't you worry, our neo-con style prime minister is doing all he can to lower tax rates for the rich/corporations etc and to remove workers rights.

There was a huge hubbub about it with the Hobbit and many people in the film industry got a bit screwed because of it.

YAY!

But you're right, there will definitely be more overseas film stuff coming here, there always is... just nowhere near enough to support a full industry of actors/crew etc.

But hey, it's the same world over. Getting in to acting with the expectations of regular work/income is a fools errand.

Well this isn't the War Room so I won't debate you, but let's just say we fundamentally disagree on the legitimacy of that "missed revenue." You say they should be getting so much more and thus are missing out, I'm saying they're getting more than they deserve as it is. We'll have to leave it at that lest we derail this into something it isn't supposed to be.

But why, I'm sure the argument would stay completely civil and one of us would see the errors of our ways and admit defeat humbly and graciously.

That's how the internet works, right? :icon_lol:

Did you miss out on dat LOTR money?

Maybe if they weren't so high they wouldn't have to spend so much money hiring PolishHeadlock h to find (legal) ways to pay less.

He's a great person, kudos to him.

I feel the love. We do have the highest corporate rate in the 1st world. I'm not complaining though. It keeps me employed haha

We can't all be unemployed.

No we cant.
Its amateur hour for me today,these people with their fancy occupations
cant even get one thing right.
Who pays people for guesswork?

But why, I'm sure the argument would stay completely civil and one of us would see the errors of our ways and admit defeat humbly and graciously.

That's how the internet works, right? :icon_lol:

Yes! You definitely would, my friend! :icon_lol:

Right now I'm an avionics contractor, getting paid well and lots of travel. Plus I get to work on and see cool shit from time to time. It sounds great when you tell ppl what you do, and sometimes it is pretty cool, but I've been doing it for 8 years and I'm looking to start something completely different. I'm burned out on it.

In the past I've done industrial/commercial/residential electrical work, and I actually enjoyed the residential electrician gig the most. But the pay isn't very good. Not compared to avionics contracting.

So I'm interested in this thread to get ideas on jobs ppl actually enjoy doing. Myself, I'd love to go back to school for psychology, as I'm actually interested in that field. But I imagine that market is flooded because everybody goes to school for fucking psychology these days. But I'd be better than them :)

Also I'm prior military and still have some gi bill left, but I owe a few thousand on my taxes from last year, and I think the gvt would just take that gi bill money and I'd never see it. That happened once before.

Any ideas? Also, you guys need to start actually putting down what you do...not just "i like my job." I mean...wtf IS your job? I want ideas ppl!!! rawrrrr

what company you with? oconus avionics work pays extremely well. like 6 figures well for 6 months of work.

Tax evasion is illegal.

Tax avoidance is not.

One is obtained through legal means the other is not. Blame the legislators for the avoidance.

Let me ask you this question, do you try and pay as little or as much tax as possible? I mean when you complete your tax return do you claim every deduction you are entitled to or do you forgo those deductions in order to increase your taxable income and therefore tax payable?

I do claim expenses back as I'm self employed and technically a business, but I keep it very, very reasonable. I claim legitimate expenses only and regularly give my actor friends shit for abusing the system.

Which it would be very easy for me to do. As an actor, my body is literally my work tool, so essentially, anything I do to my body I can justify as tax deductible; gym, hair cuts, food etc etc etc. I could also claim movie/theatre tickets, dvds etc as research. I could also (as some of my friends do) right a name on the top of every cafe receipt and claim it as a business meeting.

But I don't do any of that, because I recognise that it's not in line with the spirit of the law.

And yes, don't worry, I blame the legislators as much as I do the corporations.

Yes.

What do your think of Hollywood making movies overseas to avoid taxes and LA unions?

George Clooney doesn't mind

I don't like it.

I don't like anyone trying to get away with paying far less tax than they should be. As I said above, I think it's against the spirit of the law.

If I choose to live as part of this society, I implicitly accept the rules of that society. One of the rules of our societies is paying tax. It's how we manage to keep our shit together and not fall in to a mess.

So, whether it's Hollywood or huge corporations (not mutually exclusive either, obviously) dodging taxes, I'm not ok with it. Even if it is via exploiting legal loopholes.

I look at it as ignoring your social responsibility.

Lol.

If it wasn't for tax evasion LOTR would have been shot in the US.....

I find that hard to believe.

Possible, but hard to believe, as Peter Jackson has ALWAYS made his films here and his entire base of operations is here too.

Not to mention the lower amount they would have to pay crew/extras as opposed to the states. As well as all the different kinds of spectacular scenery all within a relatively short distance to each other.

Although, you may be right in that tax rates probably did play some part in the decision making.

When i think of having a job I really enjoy, it has to be something I would do whether I was making money or not. Most of the examples in the thread are just "not shitty" jobs.

I climb shit. It's awesome plus the pays great

I do claim expenses back as I'm self employed and technically a business, but I keep it very, very reasonable. I claim legitimate expenses only and regularly give my actor friends shit for abusing the system.

Which it would be very easy for me to do. As an actor, my body is literally my work tool, so essentially, anything I do to my body I can justify as tax deductible; gym, hair cuts, food etc etc etc. I could also claim movie/theatre tickets, dvds etc as research. I could also (as some of my friends do) right a name on the top of every cafe receipt and claim it as a business meeting.

But I don't do any of that, because I recognise that it's not in line with the spirit of the law.

And yes, don't worry, I blame the legislators as much as I do the corporations.

I don't like it.

I don't like anyone trying to get away with paying far less tax than they should be. As I said above, I think it's against the spirit of the law.

If I choose to live as part of this society, I implicitly accept the rules of that society. One of the rules of our societies is paying tax. It's how we manage to keep our shit together and not fall in to a mess.

So, whether it's Hollywood or huge corporations (not mutually exclusive either, obviously) dodging taxes, I'm not ok with it. Even if it is via exploiting legal loopholes.

I look at it as ignoring your social responsibility.

who decides should be? Have reasonable rates no problem.

What? I...

What?

Are you asking me who decides what a "reasonable rate" to claim back is?

When I said I keep my tax claims reasonable I meant that I keep it legitimate. In the sense that I only claim on expenses that are actual expenses and I don't exploit the system like many of my friends do.

I find that hard to believe.

Possible, but hard to believe, as Peter Jackson has ALWAYS made his films here and his entire base of operations is here too.

Not to mention the lower amount they would have to pay crew/extras as opposed to the states. As well as all the different kinds of spectacular scenery all within a relatively short distance to each other.

Although, you may be right in that tax rates probably did play some part in the decision making.

So you hate unions and high tax rates...

Color me shocked Jackson is a capitalist

What? I...

What?

Are you asking me who decides what a "reasonable rate" to claim back is?

When I said I keep my tax claims reasonable I meant that I keep it legitimate. In the sense that I only claim on expenses that are actual expenses and I don't exploit the system like many of my friends do.

Rates are set by the government.

what company you with? oconus avionics work pays extremely well. like 6 figures well for 6 months of work.

Right now I'm looking for a new contract. But I just got done with Sikorsky. Have worked for the Air Force, American Eurocopter, Airbus, Dyncorp International.

And yeah the pay is great, especially the overseas gigs. Made 6 figures a year with Dyncorp working in Germany. And would've doubled it if I'd gone down range to Afghanistan, but the funding for that trip fell through.

Still, it's a great job and all, but I'm burned out on it. Once you've worked on several different air frames, all the shit starts to feel the same. Even the people seem the same from job to job. It's an odd field lol.
But I want to try something different for awhile. If nothing else I can always go back to aviation later on.

The problem with that is corporations have an obligation to their shareholders to maximise profit, so invariably regardless of whether or not the rates are 'reasonable' they will always be looking to reduce their tax liability as it will increase their profit.

Back