Who here has broken a finger?

"Rufus, Brint, and Meekus were like brothers to me. And when I say brother, I don’t mean, like, an actual brother, but I mean it like the way black people use it. Which is more meaningful, I think."

"I'm just glad your Mom ain't here, to see you prance about on TV dressed as a mermaid!"

"Merman!(cough!)Mer-MAN!!":icon_chee

Keep in mind breaking and dislocating are two different things. If you break your finger, and the break causes it to be at a drastically different angle than before, the bone would be sticking out of the skin. If it is a dislocation, then it will be all crooked. In my experience, breaks recover very quickly and arent a big deal; dislocations take much longer and may never return to normal.

Huh..thats interesting. I've dislocated my thumb several times. The initial dislocation, of course, sets up future and easier dislocations of the same joint. But, it always popped back in non-deformed.

Same with some guy I know whose shoulder always popped out.

Do you mean break + dislocation?

I remember a few years back i hurt my third knuckle really bad and there was something hard and movable there after a few days. Like as if it were bone that chiped off or something (not likely at all but thats what it felt and looked like). It took 3 months to heal properly and now its stronger than ever. And really big too!
I wonder what that hard moveable thing was?

This has happened to me many times. Once the splint is off just keep moving it to get full ROM little by little. It takes a long time for fingers to heal. When I train or compete I tape it tot he finger next to ti to prevent it from getting hurt. Just keep working on ROM little by little and it should be ok. Remember it does take a long time and it also depends on the person.

I know that no one likes the injury threads but this is more of a recovery question. I went to the doctor about 4-5 weeks ago and they x-rayed my finger, told me it was broken, splinted it and I was on my way. It was injured around the joint right below the knuckle on my ring finger. I've followed all doctors instructions and the finger is significantly less painful, but I regaining ROM in that finger is taking longer than I expected.

I know there is 10,000,000 ways to break a finger, but has anyone else had ROM problems after splinting their finger for a long time, and what did you do to fix it? Just exercise it and keep it moving? If I leave it unsplinted for around 4-5 hours or so it begins to become stiff to the point where it hurts to make the finger straight. I'm not sure if it's because I'm babying it too much now that the bone itself is healed or if there might be some type of ligament injury.

I'm not overly worried about it, in fact I'm competing in a grappling tournament on Sunday, I just would like to see if anyone else has gone through something similar and how much time it took to regain full ROM. This can help me in deciding how long I might want to wait before I head back to the doctor.

the main problem after breaking my finger was because I had a big calouse (and still have one) that formed after being in a splint for a long time, its a give and take sort of thing, you have to work the calouse (sorry if i am spelling it wrong) to work with your fingers all over again, it took me a good year to get about 80-90% movement back but you never get 100% from broken fingers again.

Back